• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Replay sharing

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
Can I upload the replay file from my SD card onto a computer, so that someone else can download it, put it on their SD card and view it from their 3ds? Or is there something preventing that?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You can't. There is no way to share replays, other than recording it with a camera and uploading on YouTube or similar websites.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
You can't. There is no way to share replays, other than recording it with a camera and uploading on YouTube or similar websites.
Why is that, out of curiosity? Is there something wrong with the file itself so that it's locked to an individual 3ds?

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
Why is that, out of curiosity? Is there something wrong with the file itself so that it's locked to an individual 3ds?
It's not even a video file, honestly. When you save a replay of a battle, you just save a list of commands that every character repeats with a list of spawning tines and places for itens, if put on. You're not even watching the same battle, if you think about it. It's just your characters following a script saved and dubbed a "replay," which feels really half-assed. Obviously it's also because the script takes way less space than an actual video, but I still dislike it.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
It's not even a video file, honestly. When you save a replay of a battle, you just save a list of commands that every character repeats with a list of spawning tines and places for itens, if put on. You're not even watching the same battle, if you think about it. It's just your characters following a script saved and dubbed a "replay," which feels really half-*****. Obviously it's also because the script takes way less space than an actual video, but I still dislike it.
We're in 2014, they could save as command list, but then there could be a button says "generate video", when you click it, it takes a while but then your script becomes a video.
I'm studying engineering and i know this is really easier to program than it sounds.

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
We're in 2014, they could save as command list, but then there could be a button says "generate video", when you click it, it takes a while but then your script becomes a video.
I'm studying engineering and i know this is really easier to program than it sounds.
I know it's simple and that is why I implied it was lazy. The only thing that could possibly be a problem is that it takes more memory than the pure script, but that's completely nullified by asking who even cares about that if it's your SD Card and not theirs.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
I know it's simple and that is why I implied it was lazy. The only thing that could possibly be a problem is that it takes more memory than the pure script, but that's completely nullified by asking who even cares about that if it's your SD Card and not theirs.
Well as i said, video takes CRAZY amounts of memory and script just takes a tiny. That's why it should be saved and only the ones you really want to have on your computer could be turned into videos, even if you didn't have space in your SD card, you could generate one video, put it on your computer, delete it, and generate another. This way, those players who has less amount of memory in their SD cards which doesn't give a damn about videos would be happy, and those who'd like to have every replay as videos would be happy. LOGIC SAKURAI LOGIC

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
It's not even a video file, honestly. When you save a replay of a battle, you just save a list of commands that every character repeats with a list of spawning tines and places for itens, if put on. You're not even watching the same battle, if you think about it. It's just your characters following a script saved and dubbed a "replay," which feels really half-*****. Obviously it's also because the script takes way less space than an actual video, but I still dislike it.
So does that mean I could upload the script, put it on someone elses SD card, and have them view it in game client like I was asking?

Kane49

Smash Rookie
Well as i said, video takes CRAZY amounts of memory and script just takes a tiny. That's why it should be saved and only the ones you really want to have on your computer could be turned into videos, even if you didn't have space in your SD card, you could generate one video, put it on your computer, delete it, and generate another. This way, those players who has less amount of memory in their SD cards which doesn't give a damn about videos would be happy, and those who'd like to have every replay as videos would be happy. LOGIC SAKURAI LOGIC
Smash utilises most of the 3DS Hardware by itself, saving inputs as they are done is not processing intensive at all but recording a video needs immense processing and disk resources. It might even be completely impossible on the "old" 3DS

So does that mean I could upload the script, put it on someone elses SD card, and have them view it in game client like I was asking?
For unknown reasons (development wise) it is not, it might be patched in in the future though

Last edited:
Top Bottom