• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replay Saver

supersmashreplaysaver

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I noticed that many people want to save their replays but don't have the means to. The software built into Smash for Wii U only allows to save replays of up to three minutes on YouTube. You can keep them saved on your Wii U but they become obsolete as soon as a new patch comes out. The other options are purchasing a Game Capture Card and a PC able to run the required software.

I want to fill this gap by offering a service for saving your replays and delivering them to you as I happen to have a PC able to record/stream content and a GameCapture Card (Elgato HD60). I'm still a student and I have my own expenses and time limitations so I won't be able to provide the service for free.

Currently the pricing is as follows:
1 replay (up to 8 minutes): $2,-
2 replays (up to 8 minutes each): $4,-
3 replays (up to 8 minutes each): $5,-
4 replays (up to 8 minutes each: $7,-
5 replays (up to 8 minutes each): $9,-
6 replays (up to 8 minutes each): $10,-

I'm still figuring out what to do with replays above 8 minutes. For now don't worry if your replay is a bit above 8 minutes.

In return you will receive your replay in 1080p 60 frames per second.

I don't have a website yet but I'm working on it. In the meanwhile there is a Google form on which you can apply for having your replays saved. After filling in the form you will receive a reply with my NNID. After I accept your request you can send in your replays. Once I have them saved on my computer I will send an invoice via PayPal. If you like I can send in screenshots with proof of your replays. The replays will be uploaded to filehosts and the corresponding link will be sent to you once your payment is received. Please keep in mind I will only keep your replays on my hard disk as long as I have space, but I will try to offer a minimum of one/two weeks. If you wish I can also upload your videos to my personal YouTube account.

Currently the application form can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1w79TWe1J3PZpUGJMkl9icF7qOb2FvwR7p8Irn8zCfB0/viewform

I know it isn't free, but please understand I'm trying to provide a service to you while at the same time also being able to keep up with my university schedule and tuition fees.

By the way, as part of a special promotion, the first three people to apply will be able to save one replay for free (without being required to purchase more replays to be saved). Afterwards they can share details on the quality :). First come first served.

Sorry for the long post. Please share this post with your friends if you think they want to use this service.

Happy Smashing!

PS:
I will release a schedule where I will state at which days and at what time I will accept requests and save replays once the website is up.

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
Not interested personally since I'm not playing Smash 4 but I'm curious about the actual quality of the video.

Are you going to provide source video or encode it yourself? How are you going to send it to people if source and how are you encoding it if not? Do you not have any examples uploaded? (and keep in mind YT does its own lossy compression)

EDIT: Also are you planning on charging before or after? What if someone is unsatisfied? How long could you expect it to take and what are your guarantees?

Last edited:

supersmashreplaysaver

Smash Rookie
Not interested personally since I'm not playing Smash 4 but I'm curious about the actual quality of the video.

Are you going to provide source video or encode it yourself? How are you going to send it to people if source and how are you encoding it if not? Do you not have any examples uploaded? (and keep in mind YT does its own lossy compression)

EDIT: Also are you planning on charging before or after? What if someone is unsatisfied? How long could you expect it to take?
Hey TimpZ!

I can offer the video in two quality types: mainly, the .ts file which the Elgato HD60 software outputs the recording to. Or converted to .mp4 format. I'm not sure with the specifics of the .ts file. I'll put these on a filehost tomorrow for people to judge for themselves.

The .mp4: practically comes down to:
Video: The .mp4 format is 1920 x 1080p. Data rate is approx 39582kpbs. Total bitrate is approx 39804kbps. 60 fps.
Audio: bitrate 221kbs. Channels: 2 (stereo). Audio sample rate: 48 kHz.

I will charge people only after I have them saved on my computer and uploaded to the filehost. Then I will release the link when the payment is confirmed.

I'm not sure on how long it would take. If i get a lot of requests I'll inform people on the approx time. Otherwise I'll try to spend at least 2 hours per day on this.

About people being unsatisfied, that's a bit harder to deal with. I guess I'll post sample clips to YouTube tomorrow. If you like the quality on YouTube you should apply. If not maybe someone else can provide it in better quality I guess? Since the quality will always be above the YouTube quality due to compression. Not really sure how to put it in better words xD.

Top Bottom