• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Repairing Internet Connections

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Sometimes, on my computer it says that a local cable has been disconnected even though my comp is connected to a router via ethernet cable. My comp is a little slow and I think its cuz my internet connection sucks. I think this problem contributes to the fact that I get disconnected from Xbox live unless no one else uses any computer in the house.

What is the best and/or easiest way to repair my connection so that no "local cables" are "disconnected" and so that I don't get disconnected from Xbox live. If it has to do with the number of people using my connection, how do I change the settings for my connection to make it secure (only those who know a password can use that connection) due to teh possibility that ppl are mooching off my connection.

Thanks in advance

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Internet connectivity problems can be hard to troubleshoot because they're almost always intermittent. But I can tell you a couple of things that might give you a hand.

Go to www.speedtest.net and see what kind of results you're getting. Don't put too much weight into the results of that website, but it's not a bad benchmark.

You'll also want to check your wireless settings if you have it. But every router is different, so if you want detailed instructions, you'll have to tell me what router it is. Odds are, however, that it's a Linksys. They're the most popular brand. (I have one)

It only says "a cable is disconnected" because you've lost your connection. It doesn't, of course, necessarily mean a cable is actually unplugged.

Also, if you live in an apartment complex or certain neighborhoods, you might just be stuck with poor speeds. Apartments and dorms typically only have one or several connections which is then split between all the residents. So if you live there you might be just kind of boned.

The connection in my apartment sucks, and there's little I can do about it. :(

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Internet connectivity problems can be hard to troubleshoot because they're almost always intermittent. But I can tell you a couple of things that might give you a hand.

Go to www.speedtest.net and see what kind of results you're getting. Don't put too much weight into the results of that website, but it's not a bad benchmark.

You'll also want to check your wireless settings if you have it. But every router is different, so if you want detailed instructions, you'll have to tell me what router it is. Odds are, however, that it's a Linksys. They're the most popular brand. (I have one)

It only says "a cable is disconnected" because you've lost your connection. It doesn't, of course, necessarily mean a cable is actually unplugged.

Also, if you live in an apartment complex or certain neighborhoods, you might just be stuck with poor speeds. Apartments and dorms typically only have one or several connections which is then split between all the residents. So if you live there you might be just kind of boned.

The connection in my apartment sucks, and there's little I can do about it. :(
No, it's a Westell 327W
ic thanks for the info =]

Top Bottom