• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Release the hidden power within! A Lucas Guide! (1.1.0)

Release the hidden power within! A Lucas Guide! (1.1.0)

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
Ciex submitted a new guide:

Release the hidden power within! A Lucas Guide! - Learn damage outputs, combos and techniques for Lucas here!

Lucas is a very powerful character, he was released on June 14th with the amazing DLC that also contained Ryu, Roy and 3 stages. What an amazing DLC!
But Lucas almost sits in the shadows compared to Ryu's and Roy's popularity, but not for me! I have been experiementing and discovering, and i shall continue to do so. This guide will be updated if anything new is found out!

This guide will try to cover:
  • Who i am
  • A moveset damage & usage breakdown
  • Playstyles
  • Pros & Cons...
Read more about this guide...

Genclops

Smash Rookie
Thanks for posting this. I have been hitting the lab with Lucas everyday since he came out and you discovered a few things that I hadn't yet. Very informative to have everything in the same place.

kmac$

Smash Rookie
You should add the double PKT2 recovery to techniques.

O Rai

Smash Rookie
Lucas has more kill options than people give him credit since well HES NOT NESS.

#1 rule with Lucas: SPACING, SPACING, SPACING... your damage output is not gonna to arrive from d-throw fairs like ness, instead you have to be creative with how you use Lucas. also your ledge guarding game is pretty much as good as Falco's/ amongst the better in the game

Kill options:
- Back Throw somewhere near 110 (near ledge mainly)
- Up Smash (slow but situational to the point where it can destroy people in free fall after they whiff up b (ex. Say ZSS fishing for a kill))
- Psi Magnet (amazing knock back if timed correctly (see video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAUMSiJBijw
- Down Smash (safer (faster and multi hit)) and IMO better uses than the up smash, but kills later in most cases
- Bair and Dair- Meteors
- Side smash (the stick), faster/safer than Ness's but not as powerful (see a theme starting to occur between the two?)
- U- air if close towards ceiling (usually follows a d- throw (kinda like the Hoo- Hah of diddy but not nearly as broken since its priority isn't amazing)
- Pk Thunder- Amazing for gimps against recovering foes and lands a stage spike for uninvincible ledge grabbers on stages like Smashville (mainly the diagonally constructed ledges)
- Pk Freeze (The funniest kill ever) at higher percents like 150 since most land it at stage level and the aerial trajectory isn't quite enough, but it can kill airborne foes somewhere starting at 100% if landed approximately midway between floor/ ceiling of an Omega stage (also depends on the stage but its a relatively safer move than PK Flash so feel free to throw some out)

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
@ Ciex Ciex I liked the dthrow > bair > nair combo idea that you described in your guide. Definitely this is not a true combo, but it does seem tight enough to work on some opponents. However, your damage from the combo you posted wasn't maximized. Instead of ending the combo with nair > fair, you can do nair > nair > uair to get more damage. Here is a video I created showing the string that I am referring to. You are welcome to use this as an example video in your guide if you so choose.

Last edited:

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
@ Ciex Ciex I liked the dthrow > bair > nair combo idea that you described in your guide. Definitely this is not a true combo, but it does seem tight enough to work on some opponents. However, your damage from the combo you posted wasn't maximized. Instead of ending the combo with nair > fair, you can do nair > nair > uair to get more damage. Here is a video I created showing the string that I am referring to. You are welcome to use this as an example video in your guide if you so choose.

Nice find! I shall add it to the guide, also giving you credit!

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Actually pulled off that exact string I posted against a Link just a few minutes ago. Proves that it is a viable combo in game.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Ive got a couple more true combos.
Note1: zairs must he activated close to the ground
Note2: i found you need forward momentom for some of these to work, like from a dash.

point blank zair into short hop fair<---- this can kill at higher percents and if close to the edge.
Also woks better on taller / heavier characters at lower percents than smaller / lighter characters at lower percents

point blank zair into short hop zair (only at higher percents and also quite useless)

point blank zair into ftilt.

Point blank zair into uptilt (needs momenum)

Point blank zair into jab

Point blank zair into dtilt<---- most useless

Point blank zair into dash attack (only at higher percents)

Point blank zair into f smash (needs momentum)

Dthrow into uptilt.

Falling up air into uptilt

Faling up air into jab

Falling up air into ftilt (big characters only)
Falling up air into up air (starting at 20%)
Falling up air into fair

You basically have to be frame perfect and i dont see viability in real matches since you have to be super close ajd be really quick.
Ill make a video showcasing them soon.

Falling nair into jab (at mid percents)

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
Ive got a couple more true combos.
Note1: zairs must he activated close to the ground
Note2: i found you need forward momentom for some of these to work, like from a dash.

point blank zair into short hop fair<---- this can kill at higher percents and if close to the edge.
Also woks better on taller / heavier characters at lower percents than smaller / lighter characters at lower percents

point blank zair into short hop zair (only at higher percents and also quite useless)

point blank zair into ftilt.

Point blank zair into uptilt (needs momenum)

Point blank zair into jab

Point blank zair into dtilt<---- most useless

Point blank zair into dash attack (only at higher percents)

Point blank zair into f smash (needs momentum)

Dthrow into uptilt.

Falling up air into uptilt

Faling up air into jab

Falling up air into ftilt (big characters only)
Falling up air into up air (starting at 20%)
Falling up air into fair

You basically have to be frame perfect and i dont see viability in real matches since you have to be super close ajd be really quick.
Ill make a video showcasing them soon.

Falling nair into jab (at mid percents)
Your post is extremely hard to read, so i reposted it in white color.
Great find though! I will try them out myself asap.

Last edited:

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
Hello Lucas players! Just made a quick update for the guide.
extremechiton if you make the videos showcasing them, i'll put them into the guide, shoutouting you!

Would be cool you rate the guide! Would help me a lot and other Lucas players as i gather all information here.
I really appriciate us all exploring and discovering combos and techniques and i hope that we'll continue to do so!

Thanks a ton everyone!

Last edited:

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
Ciex updated Release the hidden power within! A Lucas Guide! (In progress) with a new update entry:

Guide update #2 - Terminology!

Hey everyone! Back with another guide update.
  • Terminology has been added to the guide!
  • OoS(Out of Shield) has been added to techniques!
  • Frame data for n-air has been added to the moveset breakdown!
Terminology is something all communities use a lot, and the Super Smash Brothers community is indifferent. In the Smash community it doesn't matter if we talk about 64, Melee, Brawl, PM or Smash 4. We still have the same terminology even if you can't...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
PK Fire definitely can KO off-stage. And walkoff PK Fire has a good chance of KO or gimp. If your opponent airdodges it they might send themselves too low to recover, or in position for a back air/ rising down air spike.

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
On top of nair, don't forget utilt is a good option OoS as well. Though then again I don't know frame data...

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
On top of nair, don't forget utilt is a good option OoS as well. Though then again I don't know frame data...
It is an alternative for sure, i will add it to the guide.
The frames are different, n-air is faster and has pretty much the same effect as doing an OoS up-tilt.
Also, OoS up-tilt is a little harder to time because you have to drop the shield first.

Thanks for menioning it anyway! An alternative is an alternative, good for mixups!

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
PK Fire definitely can KO off-stage. And walkoff PK Fire has a good chance of KO or gimp. If your opponent airdodges it they might send themselves too low to recover, or in position for a back air/ rising down air spike.
This was pretty much said in the Moveset breakdown part of the guide, but i'll add it to kill options.
Thank you for the very detailed info!

Last edited:

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
Ciex updated Release the hidden power within! A Lucas Guide! (In progress) with a new update entry:

Guide update #3 - More technology and beneficial stages!

Hey everyone! Another update is up!
This update contains:

• Added technology
    • Perfect Pivoting, how to perform it and its uses
    • Jump cancel upsmash and how to perform it
    • Ledge trumping, and what do out of it!
  • Pros and cons when it comes to stages for Lucas.
  • Which stages you should pick and ban
  • A kill option, PKF off-stage (Thanks Snackss!)
  • Up-tilt...

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
While recording my video for zair combos, i came across zair ledge cancels.

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
While recording my video for zair combos, i came across zair ledge cancels.
Cool!
If you want them in the guide, please send the link to the video on youtube and i'll make sure to put it into the guide giving you credit!
Thanks!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Im still editting but i will send you the link when im finished.

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex

Guide update #4 - Frame Data

Hello everybody. Time for a new update.
This time, i have added:
  • Frame Data
  • Duck Hunt to Stages for Lucas
-And that's it. It was exhausting to add and to perfect it all into a table.

If you've read the guide before, you might find that things are very different now.
This, is what has been changed with the guide:
  • The moveset breakdown has been sorted into a table.
  • The whole guide has been put into "Spoilers"
  • Fixed typos.
This was done because i...

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
so its been a while, but ive finally completed (my first ) my lucas zair combos tutorial. and i should have it uploaded by the end of the week.

Edit: it is done!

Last edited:

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex

Guide update #5 - Lucas' changes in 1.1.0!

Greetings Smashers and mostly Lucas players!

A new patch is out, and Lucas happened to get some buffs!
Did you expect that?
I sure didn't, but i felt he was lacking in some areas so it's very welcomed!

This has been added:
  • A section for upcoming patches
    • 1.1.0 Lucas' changes has been added to the list
These are the (community) patch notes for Lucas.

• Forward Air
    • Sour spot damage increased 8% → 9%
    • Sour spot hitbox...

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
Ciex updated Release the hidden power within! A Lucas Guide! with a new update entry:

Guide update #6 - Global changes.

Greetings everyone, i'm sorry for the inactivity.
School has started and i don't always have time to work on the guide.
I consider the guide to be ready but not finished. That's why the title does no longer include "(In progress)"

So, this is what happened in this guide update:
  • Added the changes that happened in 1.1.1 and how they might affect the styles of play.
  • Editing some parts of the guide to sum things up better.
I know it's small, but there will be...

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I may have found a small strong if it hasn't been found already
At low percents