• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding Upsmashing

Umby

Smash Master
Do you guys use it? Granted, Sonic can hyphen smash and cover half the stage anyway, but is it still refutable to use this?

To prevent confusion, and to inform the uninformed, what I'm talking about is similar to what Snake does to do his mortar slide (though Sonic doesn't seem to be able to cancel his dash attack into an up smash after hitting an opponent with the dash attack).

Basically, have tap jump off, and push the control stick at a 45 degree angle to go into a dash attack. Hit down on your C-Stick, and push Z right afterwards. What happens is your dash attack (initiated by c-stick down) is canceled out into an up smash (initiated by holding the control stick up a bit and pressing Z) and you'll get some impressive horizontal distance.

The reason I'm making this thread is to ask if it's a refutable tactic to use, or whether it's overshadowed by the ease and similarity of using a regular hyphen smash.

Browny

Smash Hater
ive noticed sonic gets a similar boost just like the snake-boost, only a lot less. a normal sonic hyphen smash covers about 2/5 of FD while a snake-boost style one covers 1/2.

I can pull of snake/link boosts maybe 90% of attempts but around 30% with sonic, his dash attack is just so fast and cancelling requires perfection, the normal upsmash is fine.

anyway, i use hyphen smash ALL the time. its got great priority and rips straight though a lot of characters d-airs and since its not a kill move there nothing wrong with spamming it for a free 15% damage every change you get.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Are you sure Sonic can do an up-smash boost? What exactly is the timing, I've been trying this a bit and haven't gotten it even once. I keep grabbing.

Umby

Smash Master
I don't know. I can't pull it off perfectly consistently myself. I just make sure I've initiated my dash, then hit the c-stick, then Z in a fluid succession. I'd say try it with Snake first just to get the hang of it.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
He can do it. I can't explain the timing but he definatly can. I've managed it a few times but nothing near decent success rate. SO I just don't bother. I don't see what advantage it would have over a Hyphen Smash anyway.

Umby

Smash Master
Comes out quicker, since you can do it straight from standing. You need a sec to get that range with a regular dash -> hyphen smash. Also opens possible thought that Sonic has a gatling cancel.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Every character can do the DA>Usmash cancel, some are less effective, or very difficult. (Sheik comes to mind...)

Umby

Smash Master
I'll try and find someone to make one, I guess, but just think Snake's mortar slide for the moment, or go into Sonic's full run and do a regular hyphen smash. It looks like that, only you get the impressive distance from a stand still.

Top Bottom