• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding the new Shieldstun...

PKEarthbound

Smash Cadet
NNID
okeyylmao
3DS FC
3969-7077-0272
Has anyone discovered anything new thanks to the recent patch?? I've seen a few people talk about a few things we can do now in the new patch notes, but I think it'd be better if we put anything that you guys might've discovered in a new thread. Hopefully we'll benefit from it too like Toon Link and a few other characters have, but maybe I'm just being too optimistic. :p

Edit: Also, I'm curious, does shieldstun stack up with multi-hit moves?? (Dash attack, d-smash, f-air, etc.)

Last edited:

XCounter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CrossCounter
3DS FC
2981-7233-0181
I think at best our attacks are safer on shield. I can't see us having any shieldbreak setups, but I'm definitely gonna hit the lab and try and find something.

Dsmash and fair on shield are the two things I want to test the most. Retreating fair might be a safer option now and I'm interested to see how fast people can react to a blocked dsmash, if they can at all.

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
I'm not exactly sure how the new shields work, but looking at a Beefy Smash Doods video, Lucario's aura sphere charge, which has incredibly tiny knockback/hitsun locks people into shields when they shield on the edge, so I'm assuming Down Tilt, Down Smash, and PK Fire are better on shield (although good luck hitting PK Fire and then having them shield the rest) Which is incredible for Ness. I think Fair may be better as well.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Does this mean that pass-through fairs on shield, into back air is going to be better, now?

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
Does this mean that pass-through fairs on shield, into back air is going to be better, now?
Thinking about that I think so? Because if shieldstun is higher, they're stuck in shield longer, you don't have any extra lag on your attacks because of it, (I think) therefore you can do a pass through fair and they'll still be in shieldstun. Then you go for a bair and tada! Also from playing Ness earlier today this seems to be the case. The shieldstun really seems like a universal buff to me, and I like it. I think you could even break shields using this method? If my theory about down tilt was correct, pass through fair>bair>spam down tilt>something that'd break the rest of the shield, although idk if you'd have too much lag in between moves for them to escape. I'll test sometime.

PKEarthbound

Smash Cadet
NNID
okeyylmao
3DS FC
3969-7077-0272
Thinking about that I think so? Because if shieldstun is higher, they're stuck in shield longer, you don't have any extra lag on your attacks because of it, (I think) therefore you can do a pass through fair and they'll still be in shieldstun. Then you go for a bair and tada! Also from playing Ness earlier today this seems to be the case. The shieldstun really seems like a universal buff to me, and I like it. I think you could even break shields using this method? If my theory about down tilt was correct, pass through fair>bair>spam down tilt>something that'd break the rest of the shield, although idk if you'd have too much lag in between moves for them to escape. I'll test sometime.
Ooh that sounds interesting, time to go do some labs. Also, another thing that I was able to do, but only because it was on FG, was a FC PK Flash on shield to n-air. It broke the shield and it was SO satisfying >:D I would've put a clip of it on here, but I currently don't have my 3DS on me :/

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
Ooh that sounds interesting, time to go do some labs. Also, another thing that I was able to do, but only because it was on FG, was a FC PK Flash on shield to n-air. It broke the shield and it was SO satisfying >:D I would've put a clip of it on here, but I currently don't have my 3DS on me :/
That's cool. I wish PK Flash was less powerful but faster, it'd actually work. Also you have a 3DS Capture Card? R.I.P.

PKEarthbound

Smash Cadet
NNID
okeyylmao
3DS FC
3969-7077-0272
Lol I wish. Also, fun fact, PK Flash actually travels faster and farther than normal if you aim it behind you :D I actually just recently figured this out on SSB wiki. We also apparently got micro-nerfed in 1.1.0 on PK Fire, our ending lag was increased by 1 frame :/

D

DeleteThisAcct

I haven't noticed much, if any, of a difference on shields. I'm a huge fan of Ness' dash attack, for example, and I feel they can shield and strike back just as easily as pre-patch. Maybe I'm spoiled by 64 and / or nostalgia goggles where I remember some semblance of risk to over shielding. Still heals too fast too.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I think fair, bair and nair are even safer on shield now. I don't see any shield breakers but labbing it would be good. Dash attack is probably safer too.

PKEarthbound

Smash Cadet
NNID
okeyylmao
3DS FC
3969-7077-0272
FINALLY lol. Sorry for the weird view and bad quality, I just had to put it up :p I feel like we have a slightly better use for PKFlash for edge guarding now.

Last edited:

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
FINALLY lol. Sorry for the weird view and bad quality, I just had to put it up :p I feel like we have a slightly better use for PKFlash for edge guarding now.
My boy!
Yeah seems like shieldstun really affected that, as soon as you hit him, his shield was entirely white for like a whole second, then you naired him. That's definitely shieldstun. This is fantastic!

Meccs

@Meccs_
I was just about to say, with the new weaker shields, PK Flash is now kind of useful. Though I think charging Dsmash or PKT if people are offstage will still be the best option 99% of the time, PK Flash can seriously scare people now.
On a related note, keep shield health in mind a lot now as PKT2 also does a decent amount of shield damage and everyone's first instinct will definitely be to shield it, at least the first time you try.

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
I was just about to say, with the new weaker shields, PK Flash is now kind of useful. Though I think charging Dsmash or PKT if people are offstage will still be the best option 99% of the time, PK Flash can seriously scare people now.
On a related note, keep shield health in mind a lot now as PKT2 also does a decent amount of shield damage and everyone's first instinct will definitely be to shield it, at least the first time you try.
PKT2 is definitely still not good on shield but you have to be a *bit* faster to punish.

NorCal_DSS

Smash Rookie
NNID
DSShoaib
Second hit/front part of dsmash is pretty much un-punishable if it's not perfect shielded. Super low cool down and the increased shield stun makes it a great option for throwing out a grounded hitbox.

Top Bottom