• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding the many existing "Rosters"

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I have a small beef with some people. Contrary to what you might think based on my thread title, I am not opposed whatsoever to predicting rosters; I think its great fun to try and guess who will be included in Brawl, and I commend all those who have made and posted their predictions and/or futile rosters of dreamy-eyed hopefulness.

My annoyance lies with those SWF members who are acting like spoiled ingrates with regards to the final Brawl roster. That's right--I'm looking at you; the people who post in every "roster topic" saying "zoMg if THAT's the final roster I'm not even considering getting BrAwl!!1!" -please; gimme a break. It's getting VERY close to the Japanese release date, and so far, (including all of the returning veterans and confirmed characters) we are privy to more than 30 characters with DISTINCTIVE movesets. This alone is a vast improvement on Melee, not to MENTION all of the other new features of Brawl.

So please for everyones sake, suck it up; We don't know what the final character-count will be, we don't know who's going to be included, but one thing we do know, is that it's going to be freakishly awesome. So stop crying about how if the characters YOU want aren't included then Brawl is going suck.

*huff huff* rant over. feel free to comment; if you agree with me thats great, and if not, thats great too, but please back up your position as I do not appreciate unwarranted flaming.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Yawn. SWF is full of negativity and noobs.

What else is new?
Never said I was introducing any groundbreaking developments. The point of my post was to A) Rant, cuz that's always fun and B) to make these "negative noobs" aware of their deficits in behavior, just in case they couldn't see how irrational they were being.

Noobs are like skin flake accumulations; if you just sweep them under the rug, they wont go away. :)

hjihjihjihji

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-3014-8369
I know what you mean It's going to be amazing no matter what.

I do understand that some people might be dissapointed when their favourite character doesn't get in but there's no need to complain relentlessly about it. If everyones favourite chracter got in we'd have 20 Sonic characters as well as Bill Cosby.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is why I'll be extremelly disappointed if the 35 character roster turns out to be true:

1. Mario *starter*
2. Luigi *was in last two installments*
3. Bowser *starter*
4. Peach *starter*
5. Donkey Kong *starter*
6. Diddy Kong *starter*
7. Link *starter*
8. Zelda/Sheik *starter*
9. Ganondorf *was in last game*
10. Toon Link *was in last game*
11. Samus/Zero Suit Samus *starter*
12. Yoshi *starter*
13. Kirby *starter*
14. Meta Knight *starter*
15. King Dedede *starter*
16. Fox *starter*
17. Falco *was in last game*
18. Wolf *I'll be blunt, it's a terrible character choice*
19. Pikachu *starter*
20. Pokemon Trainer *starter*
21. Jigglypuff *was in last two games*
22. Lucario *dead obvious*
23. Ike *starter*
24. Marth *was in last game*
25. Lucas *starter*
26. Ness *was in last two games*
27. Wario *starter*
28. Pikmin & Olimar *starter*
29. Captain Falcon *was in last two games*
30. Ice Climbers *starter*
31. Pit *starter*
32. Mr. Game & Watch *was in last game*
33. R.O.B. *see Wolf comment*
34. Snake *unlockable*
35. Sonic *unlockable*

So, let's see what we've got so far:

24 characters in the starting roster *includes ZSS and Shiek*. (About 60% of the roster.)

8 unlockable characters from at least one of the last two games with 2 of them being previous starters. (25% of the roster)

5 genuinely new unlockable characters with 2 being revealed months in advance and one being extremelly obvious. (15% of the roster)

Let's compare this to Melee:

15 characters in the starting roster (About 60% of the roster.)
2 unlockable characters that had appeared in previous installments (About 4% of the roster.)
9 geniunely new characters (About 26% of the roster with 6/about 18% of them being clones)

Top this with how Brawl was in development almost 3 times longer then Melee, had more then double the number of people working on it, an entire building built entirelly for the development of this game, the help of third party companies, etc and you have what could essentially be the biggest video game let down in years. With all the resources, time, and talent being poured into this game, I'd like to think that the roster is more then mostly rehashed characters and people they "forgot" to add in Melee.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
This is why I'll be extremelly disappointed if the 35 character roster turns out to be true:

1. Mario *starter*
2. Luigi *was in last two installments*
3. Bowser *starter*
4. Peach *starter*
5. Donkey Kong *starter*
6. Diddy Kong *starter*
7. Link *starter*
8. Zelda/Sheik *starter*
9. Ganondorf *was in last game*
10. Toon Link *was in last game*
11. Samus/Zero Suit Samus *starter*
12. Yoshi *starter*
13. Kirby *starter*
14. Meta Knight *starter*
15. King Dedede *starter*
16. Fox *starter*
17. Falco *was in last game*
18. Wolf *I'll be blunt, it's a terrible character choice*
19. Pikachu *starter*
20. Pokemon Trainer *starter*
21. Jigglypuff *was in last two games*
22. Lucario *dead obvious*
23. Ike *starter*
24. Marth *was in last game*
25. Lucas *starter*
26. Ness *was in last two games*
27. Wario *starter*
28. Pikmin & Olimar *starter*
29. Captain Falcon *was in last two games*
30. Ice Climbers *starter*
31. Pit *starter*
32. Mr. Game & Watch *was in last game*
33. R.O.B. *see Wolf comment*
34. Snake *unlockable*
35. Sonic *unlockable*

So, let's see what we've got so far:

24 characters in the starting roster *includes ZSS and Shiek*. (About 60% of the roster.)

8 unlockable characters from at least one of the last two games with 2 of them being previous starters. (25% of the roster)

5 genuinely new unlockable characters with 2 being revealed months in advance and one being extremelly obvious. (15% of the roster)

Let's compare this to Melee:

15 characters in the starting roster (About 60% of the roster.)
2 unlockable characters that had appeared in previous installments (About 4% of the roster.)
9 geniunely new characters (About 26% of the roster with 6/about 18% of them being clones)

Top this with how Brawl was in development almost 3 times longer then Melee, had more then double the number of people working on it, an entire building built entirelly for the development of this game, the help of third party companies, etc and you have what could essentially be the biggest video game let down in years. With all the resources, time, and talent being poured into this game, I'd like to think that the roster is more then mostly rehashed characters and people they "forgot" to add in Melee.
Alright, I understand you're argument, but consider this: We don't know that there will only be 35 characters; sure, that is what alot of the prediction rosters are saying, but we won't know for sure until the game comes out.

However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and pretend that that roster you posted is the complete final roster. Now, the only thing that your comparison between the Brawl roster and the Melee roster proves, is that sure, there was a bigger percentage of "new" characters in melee than in Brawl, but that doesn't change the fact that there are simply more characters in Brawl than in Melee. Brawl is a totally different game, which has so far from what we can tell, outdone Melee in every aspect of gameplay EXCEPT (and this is only if we are only getting 35 PC's) the percentage of "genuinely new" PC's.

Don't get me wrong, Melee was an amazing game (my fave to date) but, you've got to ask yourself, whats more important?

option A
A wealth of all new interactive stages AS WELL as most of the old ones too
A kick-a** Story Mode that far surpasses anything Melee ever dreamed of.
A roster with at the very LEAST 9 more characters than Melee
Wi-fi capability!!!!!
An amazing score of original music with a hugely flexible interface
A Ton of new original items
A variety of controller options and button assignment options
More multiplayer capability (ie. co-op events etc)
New character dynamics (i.e. Pkmn trainer and Olimar)
A new physics engine
Stage builder!
Assist Trophies

I was going to list every new feature but I think you get the idea

OR....

option B
a difference of 4 "genuinely new" characters.

I don't know about you, but I'll forgo option B in favor of Option A anyday.

I know this is getting long but I just have one more thing to say. I just HAVE to reiterate the fact that there could EASILY be 40-45 characters in Brawl; it's not like Sakurai hasn't lied to us before, amiright?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm sorry but what you say hardly excuses such a lack luster roster IF it turns out to be true. Yes, Brawl has all those new components but in the end, Smash Bros really is about the characters. Twenty five characters in a 10 month period compared to thirty five in a 27 month period... Do you see what I'm getting at? The 35 character roster also is creatively appalling while the Melee roster at least had several curve balls like Mr. Game and Watch and Marth. When I look at it, it screams at me "Oh crap, we spent so much time adding all this stuff into Brawl that we completley forgot about giving the game a good roster? Let's put in nearly all the characters from the past installments and those that we forgot to add in Melee. I'm sure the fans won't mind a bit because, after all, we're throwing in a 1001 Assist Trophies and their just as good..."

I've been tracking this game since it was pseudo-announced at E3 05 so it will be the biggest understatement of the century to say that I'll be royally pissed if the game really does have a roster of such low quality. Really, that's the truth of the matter. I'm not mad about the number but the quality of the unlockable characters. More then half of them are from the past games while the rest are either obvious or flat out unimagiative. I'm like the old woman in that Wendy's commercial from the 80's "Where's the beef?" Where's the substanence? You can't take a dump in a bucket and call it chocolate mouse nor can you give a game such a roster and call it epic.

Yes, I'm ranting but can you blame me? Even my most pessimistic thoughts couldn't have concived such an abomination of a roster. My God, do you know how many hours I've spent on forums across the web talking about this game? 2 years and 7 months is not a short amount of time, my friend. This is the first game since Super Mario RPG that I've had so much anticipation for and I'd prefer it if my most basic expectations were met...

shadowed_phoenix

Smash Apprentice
what we should do is fly an elite team of smashers over to japan and challenge team sakurai to a match on brawl, if we win then they should give us the full roster, if we lose then they should give us the game early.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but what you say hardly excuses such a lack luster roster IF it turns out to be true. Yes, Brawl has all those new components but in the end, Smash Bros really is about the characters. Twenty five characters in a 10 month period compared to thirty five in a 27 month period... Do you see what I'm getting at? The 35 character roster also is creatively appalling while the Melee roster at least had several curve balls like Mr. Game and Watch and Marth. When I look at it, it screams at me "Oh crap, we spent so much time adding all this stuff into Brawl that we completley forgot about giving the game a good roster? Let's put in nearly all the characters from the past installments and those that we forgot to add in Melee. I'm sure the fans won't mind a bit because, after all, we're throwing in a 1001 Assist Trophies and their just as good..."

I've been tracking this game since it was pseudo-announced at E3 05 so it will be the biggest understatement of the century to say that I'll be royally pissed if the game really does have a roster of such low quality. Really, that's the truth of the matter. I'm not mad about the number but the quality of the unlockable characters. More then half of them are from the past games while the rest are either obvious or flat out unimagiative. I'm like the old woman in that Wendy's commercial from the 80's "Where's the beef?" Where's the substanence? You can't take a dump in a bucket and call it chocolate mouse nor can you give a game such a roster and call it epic.

Yes, I'm ranting but can you blame me? Even my most pessimistic thoughts couldn't have concived such an abomination of a roster. My God, do you know how many hours I've spent on forums across the web talking about this game? 2 years and 7 months is not a short amount of time, my friend. This is the first game since Super Mario RPG that I've had so much anticipation for and I'd prefer it if my most basic expectations were met...

Ok, my intent is not to offend, but I have been waiting just as long as you and everybody else for Brawl, and believe me I know the agony. However, it seems as though we disagree on different points altogether, because I actually think that the current roster is shaping up superbly; Of course I look forward to whoever might join the brawl but honestly I'm perfectly fine with what we have so far. So our disagreement is a matter of opinion, and we are all entitled to that much I suppose. I just don't think Nintendo "OWES" us anything for making us wait so long. They said they were gonna make brawl, and they will, and they should take as much time as needed; I don't feel that they have to console us with more/"better" characters.

And lets face it, not you or anyone else is really going to boycott brawl over a roster which may or may not be lacking, so to speak, in creativity.

on a lighter note, here's hoping for 87 characters!!!! :chuckle:

Top Bottom