• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding JC Grabs

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
So, JC grabs are my main way of obtaining grabs. I just use the typical DD to force whiff -> grab -> wreck strategy most of the time. Funny how well it works (though obviously it's not the only strategy I use). Anyways, I was wondering because of the nature of JC grabs (or JC anything) if it lifted up the grab range a little bit. I don't really have any way to test this on my own, otherwise I would.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Jump cancel grabs actually do grab higher than a dash grab. The reason for this is that a JC grab is basically a standing grab.

Try it out against Jiggs. Trying to JC grab crouching Jiggs will make you miss the grab (leading to an easy rest). You'll have to do a dash grab to reach low enough to snag Jiggs. Watch Hungrybox vs. The Moon for a good demonstration of this.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
That's not what I meant. I knew that the standing grab range was higher than the dash grab range. *shudders* I hate that dash grab TBH. Anyways, I meant in comparison with the standing grab, is it any higher?

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
No it is not any higher than standing grab. You do not gain height as you are still grounded when the grab is inputted (just in jump squat).

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks. I wasn't entirely sure about how it worked. I figured it was about the same as standing, but I wanted to be sure.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Okay, thanks. I wasn't entirely sure about how it worked. I figured it was about the same as standing, but I wanted to be sure.
Like airfair said, it is a standing grab (it's not similar, they are the same).

The way it works is the game reads a characters state during the jumpsquat animation (the first frames after you initiate a jump, but before you leave the ground) as standing. So when you press jump and then quickly press grab before your character leaves the ground, you do a standing grab. It's necessary (as I'm sure you know) because if you input a grab during dash, you get a dash grab. So you need to jump (or shield) to cancel the dash animation so the game reads you as standing still.

Top Bottom