• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding Character Nerfs and Player Dominance

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Hello smashboards,

I just wrote up a post about my take on evaluating good characters versus good players, historical analysis style, on the PM subreddit. Here's the link to the post, but I've copied it here as well. Hope you guys find it interesting! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hi guys,

After watching Junebug win LTC3 with Diddy and the surprisingly close 'hidden boss' 1-game exhibition vs Zer0, I had a thought come to me regarding the history of dominant players, supposedly OP characters, and the legacy these characters and players carry on post-nerf. I am going to present this history, and then present my conclusions about it. I welcome interesting discussion about it.

We all know the balance of 3.02 was... interesting, to say the least. Let's enumerate the heavy hitters, and their respective big-name players.

1. Lucas--represented by Neon and Pink Fresh
  2. Mewtwo--represented by M2K and Emukiller
  3. Pit--represented by Armada and Zer0
  4. Diddy--represented by Junebug, Luck, and I feel like I'm forgetting one more, but can't put my finger on it.
Lucas

Neon and Pink Fresh were hardly dominant with Lucas, but they certainly performed well with him, Pink Fresh regularly terrorizing S@X and Neon creating history in his legendary duel with M2K. Then, Lucas was nerfed. Both of these players were hit hard, Pink Fresh probably because he stopped playing as much, but Neon was frustrated enough to begin a character switch to Wolf. Lucas' nerfs had a pronounced effect on his iconic players' performances.

Mewtwo

M2K playing Mewtwo seemed simply appropriate, and much of his success with the character was (I would argue rightfully) attributed to his excellence as a player. Soon, however, Emukiller emerged from the bowels of Anther's ladder and terrorized SKTAR 3, not dropping a set. The cries of "Woop Woop" followed Emukiller where he went, and follow they ought, for he unlocked impressive techniques with Mewtwo that not even M2K had explored. An excellent player in his own right, there was clearly an imbalance in his character's strengths and weaknesses. Mewtwo was nerfed. In response, M2K mostly dropped Mewtwo in PM and turned to other characters, notably Fox. Importantly, Emukiller, while still a strong player, has declined in influence.

Pit

Armada and Zer0 are pretty good at smash bros, being arguably the current best of Melee and Sm4sh, respectively, and they both dominated with Pit. Armada's nickname of the Swedish Sniper became even more fitting, and Zer0 enjoyed a time of dominance which until recently left him atop the smashboards player rank. They both exploited Pit's tools to their maximum potential, but this time there was little doubt as to the competency of the players. Pit was nerfed, arguably harder than any other of these four. After a 3rd place finish at B.E.A.S.T. 5, Armada dropped Pit for Fox, with whom he won his next two PM tournaments. Zer0 also switched to Fox, winning his next two PM tournaments. Although both were drawn away by Sm4sh and Melee becoming more serious, the nerfs to Pit led his two best players to immediately jump ship. However, at LTC3, in what was definitely a friendly, Zer0 did pretty well with Pit against Junebug, the winner of the tournament. Not a very robust data point, but still interesting.

Diddy

I do not know Luck's history very well, so this is just going to be Junebug. Obviously a dominant player during 3.02, he was an animal with Diddy. Diddy was nerfed, though not overly. Junebug is actually the only player out of these who is still performing at the top level of PM currently, and that's after his character nerf. He makes Diddy look scary, but then again, he also makes Ganon look scary. This brings me to the main thrust of this post.

Is it the character, or the player?

Ah, the age-old question. Throughout smash history, it has generally been the latter. However, with such character diversity, PM is unique in having iconic mains of nearly every character, but rarely a horde of competing mains ala melee Fox. This lends itself to unconsciously (or consciously) drawing a much closer connection between a dominant player and an overpowered character. In the case of these four characters, I classify them as follows. Note: this is where my opinions come in hard.

Lucas was appropriately nerfed. This is generally agreed upon, but in the context of this discussion, it implies a slightly more distasteful notion: Neon and Pink Fresh didn't 'deserve' the success they had with their character, they had an unfair advantage. I personally think this is pretty accurate, although I respect their skill as players. They themselves might even agree.

Mewtwo was also appropriately nerfed. M2K moving on is just M2K being M2K. Emukiller's success was initially treated as a gimmick, and while this isn't entirely true, I would argue that his situation is akin to Neon's.

Pit, in my opinion, was overnerfed. I know this is not an unpopular opinion, but I'm looking at it simply though this post's lens: both dominant players decided to move on (interestingly, as with M2K, to Fox), despite them both being unbelievably competent players. In my opinion, the public opinion was too far shifted against Pit and not cognizant enough of Armada and Zero's skills.

Diddy was also appropriately nerfed. He was toned down, but not too badly. Junebug continues to have excellent success with him, proving again and again his excellent skill is responsible for his wins, not character abuse.

Of course, all of that is in my opinion. The point is to think about nerfs in terms of the effect we see on their players results compared with the effect that, for better or for worse, we think we ought to see.

But what about Fox, this post is about nerfs, isn't it?

I'm not going to hop on the bandwagon. The situation is muddied by a hilariously huge group of insanely good players all playing the character, his years of development notwithstanding. However, I would like to bring attention to the fact that out of this list, M2K, Zer0, and Armada all switched away from unique, interesting PM characters to Fox. They stopped advancing the metagame of their own characters due to nerfs, and using their excellent critical thinking skills, all independently decided to switch to Fox.

The Point

I know we are currently in 3.6b, not 3.5, and so this discussion is largely moot. I simply saw an interesting pattern and decided to share my analysis of it. The point of this post is not to complain for nerfs for Fox, or complain about the nerfs to Pit, or anything of the sort. Rather, it is to bring attention to the idea that players can make their character look really, really good if they themselves are, and sometimes this is misconstrued. I hope these ideas can help further future discussions when inevitably the next discussions of balance begin.

D

Deleted member

this is a great topic, but i personally would prefer to sit out for a few days to see what others think before i speak for myself (and probably look like an ass)

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
It's not really proper to say that anyone is carried by a character, considering that everyone has the opportunity to pick any character they want to.
Big changes to a lot of the top tiers are kind of ruining the game imo. If any more characters get large changes, I'm quitting the game. Nerfing characters at this point shouldn't throw away years of meta.
I like project m a whole lot, but it always bothered me to play in a meta that was so severely underdeveloped. Everytime someone loses, they attribute too much of it to character and "jank" rather than their own incompetence as a player, I remember at a 3.02 tournament, someone started complaining about my marth and sheik after getting badly beaten in friendlies while they were playing 3.02 diddy kong.

A lot of players are just bad honestly, and are ridiculously vocal about their character's changes, leading to a lot of misconceptions about a lot of characters and the game in general, and sometimes the next patch is changed in that direction the aforementioned players think it should be. 3.6 was a bad turn in my opinion. If a lot of the lower and mid tier characters were buffed up to a standard, there would be more representation for different characters by more good players.

There's not really a nice way to say it, so I apologize for sounding unjustifiably argumentative.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
3.02 Pit was given too much. 3.5 Pit had too much taken away. Adaptable players, the best players, weigh the pros of sticking with a character they have invested much time into - but they also make their own measures of character potential, and adjust accordingly. It's not an accident that most people playing Pit pre 3.5, from Zero to 5-1, dropped him.

It's also not an accident that Melee players or players with Melee fundies who only want to dip their toes in the water tend to go for Fox. Armada, Zero, M2K, Lucky, Leffen, Fuzzyness, etc. Spot the pattern.

EDIT: Westballz too, even though he's tried every spacie and uses PM specific tech. He tends to switch off Falco and to Fox in PM, when I think he pretty much never does in Melee. [Correct me if I'm wrong.]

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
I've recently come to the thinking that it may be fundamentally unhealthy to have so much new and old mixed together:

"Oh cool, we can play melee tops in this game!" leads to Melee tops having inflated results and skews balance perception as people think that newer characters should achieve gameplay levels of characters who have had a decade of practice already. When characters do match the Melee tops despite years of meta/practice with what they can do, regardless of MU experience, then there is a legit problem since this new character clearly has fundamentally OP aspects to catch players up that quickly.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
I'm carried pretty hard by Bowser.

It's really weird how top players keep switching to Fox. He's actual trash tier after those minor changes to his recovery.

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing that that player jump to Fox because no matter what changes he gets, since he's a melee s-tier you can be certain that your character wont be fundamentally altered in the next patch. It sucks spending hours in the lab figuring out what works and what doesn't only to get adjustments that undo meta development.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
It sucks spending hours in the lab figuring out what works and what doesn't only to get adjustments that undo meta development.
:lucas:

Actually it doesn't stop there

:lucario::pikachu2::pit::ness2::yoshi2::zerosuitsamus: etc you get the point

Last edited:

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
You can add kirbz to the list. Chudat was good, not kirbz. Ledge invincibility nerf was a must but nerfing swallowcide hard was pointless

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
this is a great topic, but i personally would prefer to sit out for a few days to see what others think before i speak for myself (and probably look like an ***)
I feel like I know what you're going to say, and I'm honestly looking forward to it.

Here's my take on the whole situation.

While it's been brought up in numerous other threads that this is an unfinished game constantly in development, the one subject that hasn't really been touched on is the design team's image of what characters should be "above the rest." Not leagues and leagues, mind you, but relatively above. The main reason I want to bring this up has to do with, among characters, Sheik and Bowser.

I have no clue what the PMDT wants Sheik to be anymore, nor where. In every patch prior to 3.02, she was top tier; in 3.02, she should've been top tier but was vastly outclassed, a strange thing to consider; in 3.5, she had some tweaks but was once again top tier. Now, in 3.6b, she's had tweaks again and isn't necessarily top tier, but is decidedly bland and could once again be outclassed in the way she was in 3.02.

I get that chaingrabbing most of the cast in patches prior is theoretically "unfun" or "unfair," but when a character loses unique flair because of having concepts like this scaled back, or even cut out, I kind of wonder if as a whole we're being unreasonable to what makes the game fun. I've had the impression that Sheik being a top tier isn't a problem if she has counters or players experienced against her, which is something I felt 3.5 Sheik had despite her high showing.

That's just an example of a top tier, though. In the case of Bowser, I don't know how @ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds is going to feel about this, but even though I thought he had a good collective proposal with changes for the character, I'm not sure if how they were applied was warranted, nor am I actually that sure if said changes were necessary. From the perspective of design, sure, I can understand how Bowser was fundamentally broken. I'm not a main of the character and I can't even begin to understand that there were things Bowser maybe, just maybe, shouldn't have been able to do. But at the same time, Bowser mains have had inconsistent results with the best of those being the man who makes Bowser 100% his business, Odds himself. Is that indicative of Bowser's design being broken enough to warrant nerfs? I'm not sold on the idea, even if Odds' proposed changes, which did include some buffs, weren't fully implemented. Bowser may have had rough design, but it at least let him be on curve at being capable, which is something I'm not sure the low tiers of 3.6b are looking at the moment. Except Link, but I doubt anyone's on the level of Hero of Time/Red1 right now.

When I look at current discussion about ROB, there's a part of me that still thinks the character is lame because of how we all tended to agree that the "free recovery" philosophy of 3.02 wasn't okay, and yet here it is with its nutty air-dashes. And yet...I'm strangely okay with it. I was fairly okay with it in 3.5, and now, after watching LTC3, I'm definitely sure I'm okay with it in 3.6b. The reason I say this is because what made ROB hype to watch was a player using its tools to the greatest efficiency. @DrinkingFood showed his prowess and made it all the way to grands. Do I think that was a fluke, based on the current environment of the game? No. But that's telling, because the changes to ROB are thus not enough to shake up its metagame completely, but still make it so that people can do something about it, and make it so that top players of the character have to work to show they're as good as they are. DF did just that this past weekend.

I guess what I want personally is more design like this that's interesting but not unbeatable with time invested into practicing and cultivating character metagames. When we see as many changes from 3.5 to 3.6 that are unnecessary/unexplained, I feel like M2K's point back at the end of 3.02, that the collective metagame hadn't fully developed, has proven surprisingly, and unfortunately, true. Hopefully something is considered or done about this before full release. There are numerous other changes I haven't brought up, but those are the most notable in my mind. I know the PMDT is capable of good fixes (see MK and Pit this current patch), so what gives?

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
There are numerous other changes I haven't brought up, but those are the most notable in my mind. I know the PMDT is capable of good fixes (see MK and Pit this current patch), so what gives?
I'm assuming no clear vision when it comes to certain characters.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys for taking up the discussion. Definitely interesting stuff being said.

Another interesting point about DrinkingFood's ROB at LTC3: he got 2nd. What would have happened if he got 1st? Oracle was joking about ROB nerfs, but he did seem at least a little worried. DF getting 2nd sent the vibe of 'oh well ROB's really good and that air-dash thing is silly but Junebug beat him so I guess he must not be broken.' This, of course, is silly, but what if DF had won? The response might be much more of a 'oh, well I guess ROB is unbeatable.' I think we tend to put too much emphasis on specific tournament performances, and more generally specific player performances.

Helsong

Smash Ace
I'll weigh in, although I'm not anything close to a high-level player.

I suppose you just need to trust that the PMDT can be detached and calm enough regarding tourney results to not use those as their only measuring stick for character strength, unlike the vast majority of players and viewers. At least, I'd hope so. I do agree with @ AuraMaudeGone AuraMaudeGone to some extent that there's a seeming lack of direction when it comes to certain characters. Rather, the PMDT is fairly good at pointing to aspects that are bad design and taking them out, but perhaps a bit unsure as to how to proceed once those kinks are ironed out.

You've also got a lot of high level players dropping PM as of 3.6b and I earnestly hope people aren't chalking it up to "nerf salt", especially since some of them play characters that were never even considered to be top tier. I know I'd totally stop if Ike lost JC QD or it got overzealously nerfed - losing a gameplan and not being able to play your character the way you want is understandably frustrating. Honestly, I don't play a character that's gotten touched much at all in the latest patches, but it still irks me. I don't enjoy playing against ridiculous options(I don't think that's necessarily a good metric to judge tweaks either), but even at a low level, seeing someone explore their character's potential in a rewarding and fun way is great even if they're not fully breaking new ground and seeing that exploration just...taken away is disheartening. Yes, there's still so much more to explore with these characters, but it's like a step forward, and then a push back. It hurts the playerbase's morale.

I dunno, I feel like the PMDT is doing a good job so far, there have just been some serious missteps. But the playerbase(and PMDT members themselves) have been loud enough that the DT probably knows this.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'll weigh in, although I'm not anything close to a high-level player.

I suppose you just need to trust that the PMDT can be detached and calm enough regarding tourney results to not use those as their only measuring stick for character strength, unlike the vast majority of players and viewers. At least, I'd hope so. I do agree with @ AuraMaudeGone AuraMaudeGone to some extent that there's a seeming lack of direction when it comes to certain characters. Rather, the PMDT is fairly good at pointing to aspects that are bad design and taking them out, but perhaps a bit unsure as to how to proceed once those kinks are ironed out.

You've also got a lot of high level players dropping PM as of 3.6b and I earnestly hope people aren't chalking it up to "nerf salt", especially since some of them play characters that were never even considered to be top tier. I know I'd totally stop if Ike lost JC QD or it got overzealously nerfed - losing a gameplan and not being able to play your character the way you want is understandably frustrating. Honestly, I don't play a character that's gotten touched much at all in the latest patches, but it still irks me. I don't enjoy playing against ridiculous options(I don't think that's necessarily a good metric to judge tweaks either), but even at a low level, seeing someone explore their character's potential in a rewarding and fun way is great even if they're not fully breaking new ground and seeing that exploration just...taken away is disheartening. Yes, there's still so much more to explore with these characters, but it's like a step forward, and then a push back. It hurts the playerbase's morale.

I dunno, I feel like the PMDT is doing a good job so far, there have just been some serious missteps. But the playerbase(and PMDT members themselves) have been loud enough that the DT probably knows this.

But the question is what will happen out of the community being loud? Will they just apologize and say "our bad" and continue with 3.6 or will they fix things? I mean I never thought i would drop project M, but when it becomes an endless cycling through characters because my character keeps becoming "unviable" and "unenjoyable", its just... whats the point? I can move on to a different game entirely (SD remix, brawl -, wii U, some other game) or just keep in the version i liked the most or hand make my own PM set up and mix and match what i want. I am borderline ready to say that PMDT is going against their mission statement with the weird "nerfs to balance approach" on the lower tier characters. But what do i know, i only play the game until it becomes unfun. Even the announcer got a nerf lol...

Last edited:
Top Bottom