• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Refreshing Your Priorities With Lucas

Darkbright

Smash Rookie
First thread, first community. I'd kindly appreciate it if someone can point out my errors in my thread and for admins to fix it. Thanks.

This thread is to refresh your mind with your priorities with Lucas. This is not a "how to" guide, or even a poor one at that. Use this thread before a very important match.

Lucas Review:

Space with Sspecial & Zair pivot Stilts for heavies and others.

Approach with fast-fall Nair and Zair.

Poke with Fair, Sspecial, and Zair.

Down Throw Combos:
(Most reliable from first to last) Utilt, Nair, Bair (Because you can't DI behind Lucas which makes it easier to follow the opponent's DI, and due to the large disjointed hitbox, so much easier to land), Dair, Fair, Uair, and Uspecial, Nspecial, Dspecial, and Usmash (mix ups).

(Reliable) Kill Moves/Setups:
Uthrow, Bthrow, Dthrow-Uair, Fsmash, Dsmash.

Other Damage Rackers/Setups:
Nair->Nair->Nair
->Fair
->Dair
->Uair
->Grab
(Ground Canceled Nair)
->Utilt
->Ftilt
->Dtilt l
v
->Grab
->Fsmash
->Dtilt
->Ftilt
->Utilt

Chain Grab:
Dthrow > Footstool > Dspecial > FFNair > Repeat

Getting Back/On to Stage Safely:
Ledge -
Drop Rise Dair/Fair/Bair/Zair*
*If some of these attacks fail to ---------connect, Jab or Utilt immediately.
(But if the weak hits of Zair and Dair DO connect, you can do so anyways)

Recovery-Wise, ALWAYS use Lucas's Grapple when close enough to the ledge, although it's range is deceptively long. As for his Pk thunder(2), it has longer duration and range. However, during laggy times, it can be hard to hit yourself and if your hand cramps it's over because it'll be too slow to save you. In excesstivity, it's overall easy to gimp.

Don't feel these are the only ways to stack DMG. Remember that a lot of Lucas's moves from zoning and poor moves from the opponent and stray hits in general do them.

Style -
Dspecial, PKT2, Bair.

Phases:
Neutral-

Unless you're fishing for a kill, this isn't a very bad add phase to be in. If you're opponent can't space properly or is being pressured or rushed with projectiles (Or Zairs and others in some cases), then the opponent might give into the pressure and unsafely commit when you are in a good position, ready to punish.

Ahead -
Don't over commit to anything you DON'T NEED TO. You're ahead, and YOU control the reins of the game. Punish accordingly due to your pressured opponent's poor mistakes. Don't become too impatient and look for the right opportunities to rack up more damage or KO.

Behind -
At this point, you've probably fallen into tilt and your opponent is dominating. Don't stutter and SPACE. Analyze your opponent and wait for their over commitment and PUNISH ACCORDINGLY. Don't go for grabs when you are within Dsmash or Fsmash range.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Dude i also use Utilt a lot to kill. I will play as patient as I can be and will never rush to kill unless i am just too far behind. I will take you to 230% if I have to.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Dude i also use Utilt a lot to kill. I will play as patient as I can be and will never rush to kill unless i am just too far behind. I will take you to 230% if I have to.
Ayy... this is my biggest problem with Lucas. As a former Fox main I'm used to always being in the opponent's face, but Lucas doesn't really have the moveset to do that efficiently.

Epok

Smash Ace
I think that what Lucas has that a lot of players don't utilize is is fox trot. He can shift directions with it easily ad can set him up for better side B and pivot grab situations. Learning the extended dash dancing will only make this better.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
I think that what Lucas has that a lot of players don't utilize is is fox trot. He can shift directions with it easily ad can set him up for better side B and pivot grab situations. Learning the extended dash dancing will only make this better.
At the end of my time as a falcon main I had pretty much gotten dancetrotting / extended dashdancing locked down. I cant find the timing on Lucas for the life of me... cant get it consistant its so annoying!

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
At the end of my time as a falcon main I had pretty much gotten dancetrotting / extended dashdancing locked down. I cant find the timing on Lucas for the life of me... cant get it consistant its so annoying!
His foxtrot is awkward. It's easy to interrupt with another foxtrot, but he takes a long time to stop the initial dash. Longer than it would take to pull up your shield if he were to transition into a run. With Lucas you basically have to double foxtrot every time you want to switch direction for a dash dance. It's not like Falcon's or Marth's, whose skids are very short and can switch directions almost as soon as you release the fox trot

Last edited:
Top Bottom