• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reflects vs Counters

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Which tool is shaping up to be the most useful so far in the meta? However the meta develops will inevitably make one of these tools more generally useful and bolstering than the other.

Last edited:

Loki

Smash Apprentice
I dare say counters. They are not only more common but have a bigger and quicker payback. Also, most counters have multipliers above 1x while most reflects are under 1x. AND ALSO, with projectiles being nerfed overall, reflects arent that strong nor useful on the long run unlike counters.

They both have their uses, but counters are less situational and character-dependant than reflects.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Reflects are amazing against a select few projectile campers, but I feel counters are generally more useful. Especially Shulk's. The amount of active frames is absurd.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I dare say counters. They are not only more common but have a bigger and quicker payback. Also, most counters have multipliers above 1x while most reflects are under 1x. AND ALSO, with projectiles being nerfed overall, reflects arent that strong nor useful on the long run unlike counters.

They both have their uses, but counters are less situational and character-dependant than reflects.
http://smashboards.com/threads/counters-reflectors-and-absorbs-wip.369298/

There is not a single reflector with a multiplier under 1.0x

Last edited:

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Oh I stand corrected then. Dunno why I remembered that reflectors where mostly under 1x.

However my point still stands. Overall counters are more useful, less situational and less match-up dependant. Also, there arent that many projectiles that hit as hard as a smash attack.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Oh I stand corrected then. Dunno why I remembered that reflectors where mostly under 1x.

However my point still stands. Overall counters are more useful, less situational and less match-up dependant. Also, there arent that many projectiles that hit as hard as a smash attack.
You clearly haven't gone against any really good projectile users. Playing against a good Greninja or a good Mario or a good Link will make you beg for that reflector.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Thats still not enough to overweight counters. Again, outside certain match-ups, you'll find yourself more thankful of having a counter than having a reflector on your down-B.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
I think both are pretty good. Obviously counter are going to be better as they are less situational and a bit easier to use correctly. However i'm pleased with Pit/Dark Pit's reflector, it's come in handy in so many occasions, against characters like Link, Greninja and especially Robin who'm i've caught off guard plenty of times with a well times down B as they use thoron. I just need to learn how to read better.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
To me Shulk has the best counter and Mario the best reflect.
As dangerous as Instant Counter is, Mario's cape reflects...a damn lot of things and has stronger recovery benefits.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
To me Shulk has the best counter and Mario the best reflect.
As dangerous as Instant Counter is, Mario's cape reflects...a damn lot of things and has stronger recovery benefits.
Ness has the best reflector, not including custom moves he multiplies the projectile by 2 while mario is 1.5.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Mario can reflect Robs down air, and Rob will be meteor'd.
He can do it to megaman as well, including megamans up air.
Everyone knows about how he reflects movement skills as well, like a luigi charge.
So pretty sure he has teh best reflect.\

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
The best reflector in the game is Palutena's. Followed by probably Fox or Falco

The best counter in the game is Shulk's.
Followed by Palutena's.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
The best fights are Falcon vs Falcon. No reflectors, no counters, no projectiles just raw fighting
No, the best fights are Mac vs Mac. No reflectors, no counters, no projectiles and no pansy air fighting, just raw punching. :4littlemac:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
lol, For Glory Lil Macs

He should be his own character.

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
For real Lil Mac gets #2 in the most fun to fight against characters. The rest is a toss up between characters who's names don't begin with professional camper

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
Speaking of Shulk (and I realize this is probably better asked in his specific discussion forum but this topic is on counters so......)

What exactly happens in terms of Vision as you use it more and more? Do the active frames decrease, and if so by how much?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Mario can reflect Robs down air, and Rob will be meteor'd.
He can do it to megaman as well, including megamans up air.
Everyone knows about how he reflects movement skills as well, like a luigi charge.
So pretty sure he has teh best reflect.\
Once a CP Mario, in all their cheating devilry, spiked me with my own Tornado Shot and killed me, just like that. Ironic because that move is neither spike nor meteor but when reflected it acts like that on you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom