• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Refinement and Upgrades in the Gameplay?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I wonder, would it be wrong to ask if the game could be upgrade a bit? Add a bit more to it?

If the next Super Smash Bros. Title were to be possible, I want to see it follow more of the modern controller(along with an updated GameCube Controller).

B: Jump
Y: Basic Attack
X: Special Move
A: Grapple
L/R: Super Smash
ZL/ZR: Shield
D-Pad: Taunt
LS: Move
RS: Strong/Smash/Special Attack
Select: Choose Super
Start: Pause/Menu

Of course, all of those can be customized to one's choice.

But, may what I really want are a little more "options" in the "actions"

Weak Attacks: They can still range from a 1 to a 1-2-3. I would have it be a 1-2, 1-2-3, or 1-2-SPAM. This time, I want the third hit to be something different, depending on where you tilt the stick. If you tilt up, you do a high attack. If you tilt down, you do a low attack. If you tilt back, you do... eh, I don't know. Not everyone requires this.

Strong Attacks: They... can, more or less, remain the same. Though, I could see the F-Tilt Attack having a second or third attack follow up like Meta Knight, Snake, & The Hero.

Smash Attacks: They're fine, as of this moment. What can you change about them? Hmmm... maybe when fully charged, the Smash Attack looks somewhat different?

Dash Attacks: Yes, plural. after running, you do the standard Dash Attack. But, if you crouch after running, you'll skid for a bit, like Luigi. While skidding, you can do a different Dash Attack that hits low, while the standard one hits high.

Aerial Attacks: They can remain the same.

Special Attacks: Well, they're, more or less, the same. Standard Special is usually a projectile of sorts. If it's not, then it's, often, a close range assault. Forward Special is either a projectile, an assault move, or a reversal attack. Upward Special, IMO, should be a propelling move or ability that get you back to the stage in some way. No tethers! Same that for grapples. Downward Special can be... well, anything. And "Shield" Special can be use for management, status buff, or switching out. Five(or 4 1/2) Special Moves.

Grapples & Throws: Can grab from close-range or long-range via tether. pummels could emphasize power over speed. Some characters can grab in the air, but they will always drop down with the opponent. A risky maneuver.

Super Smashes: I don't like the "Final Smash." It has little strategy and is just a cutscene now for many. I think three "Super Smashes" could work a little better. They have less range and they end shortly, but they can be used to follow up is they don't completely KO the opponent. Each fighter will get two "Level-1" Supers and one "Level-3" Super. You can select either.

I would like all of this, plus, the speed and tight gameplay of Project+.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Finally, someone who wants to discuss improving the core mechanics!

I have two ideas of my own that I originally put in this failed thread.

Here are my two ideas:
  • Shield-Bs. And I'm not talking about specials you can only do out of Shield, meaning that they are permanently grounded, but Shield input+B at all times, meaning you can do them out of air dodge. To counterbalance this, Shield-Bs would be reserved entirely for "status change" moves; this could range from moving WFT's Deep Breathing to Shield-B or giving Mario a Fire Flower "V-Trigger" that powers up his moves and gives him a fire effect after filling a gauge. This would be a way to add more moves to everyone's kits without outright replacing moves.
  • Super/EX moves. This would be yet another class of button+direction moves, so it would easily fit within Smash's simplicity. Adding to this, a Super move system could easily coexist with the established Final Smash system. There would be a gauge that could be filled up to three charges, and by pressing the Y button (by default) plus a direction, you would do a powered-up version of a corresponding special. For a lot of them, they could even recycle some of the custom animations from Smash 4, for example Mario's neutral-Y being the Fire Orb custom with actually usable frame data. Again, this would be a way to add moves to established characters without taking any established moves away.
So yeah, I share your idea that Shield-Bs should be done only for "management, status buff, or switching out".

While I think the Final Smash has its place, I also think there should be a proper super move system that feels like a core part of the character. But I think we would need to sacrifice one of the jump buttons to make it work, which is fine by me.

As for some of your other ideas:

Weak Attacks: They can still range from a 1 to a 1-2-3. I would have it be a 1-2, 1-2-3, or 1-2-SPAM. This time, I want the third hit to be something different, depending on where you tilt the stick. If you tilt up, you do a high attack. If you tilt down, you do a low attack. If you tilt back, you do... eh, I don't know. Not everyone requires this.
I think at that point I'd rather have a system in which when you do a jab, you can chain it into any one of the tilts. Like if you do Mario's jab, the second hit can chain into all three tilts. There's no need to emulate traditional fighters that closely.

Strong Attacks: They... can, more or less, remain the same. Though, I could see the F-Tilt Attack having a second or third attack follow up like Meta Knight, Snake, & The Hero.
Definitely think more characters can have an f-tilt combo, but I think it should be generally reserved for more combo-heavy fighters.

Dash Attacks: Yes, plural. after running, you do the standard Dash Attack. But, if you crouch after running, you'll skid for a bit, like Luigi. While skidding, you can do a different Dash Attack that hits low, while the standard one hits high.
That would limit the ability to do any move out of dash (or post-run skid if we're being technical). I prefer what Ultimate has now.

Grapples & Throws: Can grab from close-range or long-range via tether. pummels could emphasize power over speed. Some characters can grab in the air, but they will always drop down with the opponent. A risky maneuver.
I've spitballed the idea of replacing air dodging with air shielding and making air grabbing a universal mechanic. I haven't had any discussion with anyone about it though.

Smash Attacks: They're fine, as of this moment. What can you change about them? Hmmm... maybe when fully charged, the Smash Attack looks somewhat different?
Maybe there can be back smashes in addition to forward smashes. To make gameplay less frustrating, they can make it so that forward and back smashes aren't as distinct as forward and back aerials.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see better movement options, particularly on platforms. Don't reimplement wavedashing if it's going to be complete butt. I would also like to see tighter dash dancing windows, the one we currently have is too slow and clunky.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would like to see better movement options, particularly on platforms. Don't reimplement wavedashing if it's going to be complete butt. I would also like to see tighter dash dancing windows, the one we currently have is too slow and clunky.
I have this idea that we could sacrifice one of the shield buttons to add a "dash" mechanic, essentially a "wavedash on command". If used in the air, it would become an omni-directional air dash.

Top Bottom