• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Redeisgning Kirby (but keeping him the same)

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Other redesigns

:ultganondorf: https://smashboards.com/threads/redesinging-ganondorf-but-keeping-him-the-same.513191/
:ultsamus: https://smashboards.com/threads/new-melee-moves-for-samus.515562/
:ultlink: https://smashboards.com/threads/redesigning-link-but-keeping-him-the-same.518191/
:ultkirby: https://smashboards.com/threads/redeisgning-kirby-but-keeping-him-the-same.521634/
:ultzelda: https://smashboards.com/threads/redesigning-zelda-but-keeping-her-the-same.521781/
:ultike: https://smashboards.com/threads/redesigning-ike-but-keeping-him-the-same.522334/

I'm back to see if we can tweak some of Kirby's moves to see if we can make him more like he is in his games without changing his overall playstyle. Like before, improving the moveset isn't specifically the goal, especially here as I'm not very familiar with high level Kirby play.

First off I'm fine with most of his grounded normal attacks and throws, with one exception. They fit him visually and I'm pretty sure most of them come from his Fighter and Suplex powers in game. The issue is that this design philosophy goes for pretty much all his other attacks too. He just kicks a bunch when Kirby in his own game has an endless supply of powers. The one exception referenced before is his Down Tilt. Because it absolutely should be his slide from his own games. It's one of Kirby's most enduring moves in his own game and it surely would have been put in his moveset if he'd been put in the game now and not back in the 90s when sliding Down Tilts weren't a thing.
1703594686284.gif

Now to move on to his Smash Attacks. Which are all just boring kicks. Of them only his forward smash actually comes from his games and while it is a bit iconic as a piece of art for him, I'd rather all his specials be a bit more distinctive and come directly from copy abilities. For his Forward Smash I've moved his Side Special Hammer. His hammer is considered a pretty useless special by the fan base, so it isn't doing much as it is now. By moving it to a more basic Smash attack it frees him up to have a more interesting side special.

1703595617352.gif

For his up Smash I've given him his Sword Ability. One of his most iconic abilities to the extent that it's strange it's missing form his moveset in all games, unless you want to include his final smash. Despite being a grounded smash attack, the attack actually uses the aerial version of the sword attack in his own games. Kirby jumps very slightly and attacks with the sword in all directions. This makes it functionally pretty similar to his overhead kick that is his current Up Smash (he doesn't jump as high as in this gif)

1703595214970.gif

His Down Smash is Needle. Kirby attacks in all directions by turning his body into a ball of spikes. This gives it a lot more coverage than his current Down Smash.
1703595674261.gif

Next are his aerials. Possibly his most critsized attacks. Despite that I've kept his neutral aerial mostly the same. Because honestly it's just so dosh darn cute.

However I have added a slight electrical effect to it, just so it makes more sense as an attack and because Spark is also one of Kirby's iconic powers that hits in all directions like his neutral air.

1703596048303.gif

His forward aerial is a series of three kicks. It is still a three hit attack, only now instead of kicking Kirby swings his Yoyo in a pattern hitting three times.
1703597217658.gif

His back aerial is one solid kick. While a bit unorthodox, I've decided to replicate that one solid hit using the bomb ability, Kirby places a bomb behind him that immediately explodes.
1703597122438.gif

Next is his Up aerial. Currently it's an over head kick in a wide arc. I've changed it to his Beam attack. Kirby attacks in a large arc above of him, functionally the same as his old up aerial only with a bit more range. Ignore the projectile in the gif below.
1703596459205.gif

And finally for his down Aerial I've given him the stone ability from his special. As, let's face it, the only use it has as a special is trying to hit enemies from above. For Smash it just plain can't have the defensive purposes it has in the original games. So it's best off as a down aerial.

Now, on to his specials. His Neutral Special is, of course, unchanged. It already works as it should. And as you already know, his Side and Down Specials have been moved to normal attacks. So the first one I'll talk about is his Up Special, Cutter. This is a bit of an odd attack, as in Kirby's own games it's a pure projectile, while in Smash the projectile element is an after effect. So the move has become a bit more elaborate. In the air the attack is unchanged. Kirby swings up wards and attacks on the way down, releasing a projectile at the end. However, if used on the ground, things are a bit different. There are to variations that depend if there is an enemy (or if something else Kirby can hit) nearby or not. If there is an enemy nearby, Kirby slashes at them several times before launching the uppercut.
1703597584436.gif

However, if there are no enemies near Kirby, he launches a weak projectile right away.

Now, onto his new Side Special. To give Kirby a little something from one of his newer games, I've gone with the Drill Ability. Kirby Drills into the ground and moves as a shadow along the ground, similar to Greninja's Shaodw Sneak, emerging to damage enemies. The attack is very easy for enemies to defend against as where Kirby will appear is obvious. However, it functions as a bit of a noob trap, as the attack deals very high shield damage. So, while it's very easy to shield the attack given how obvious it is, shielding it is actually not always a smart idea.
1703598070719.jpeg

Lastly for his Down Special. I don't know how to play Kirby, so I've given him a tool that's useful on any character. A reflector via the mirror ability. It works like Palutena's reflect ability, wherein Kirby summons a reflecting wall in front of him that moves forward slightly.
1703598656484.jpeg

And so that's it for my redesigning Kirby moveset. I've tried to choose attacks that mostly resemble what he already does for his normals. Though given I've changed two entire special moves it probably would lead to a different playstyle for Kirby, but I think in a positive way since most people consider Hammer and Stone pretty useless special moves.

Last edited:

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Another option for his neutral aerial is the Fireworks combo ability from the Crystal Shards.

Kirby keeps his regular hit box (and expression), but tosses out colour fireworks as he does it. These fireworks deal low damage and no knockback, being like Fox's blaster. However their range is rather huge for a normal attack. Inexperienced players might be tempted to over use this attack thinking that getting some hits in at all are worth it, but doing so will make them very predictable. It more serves as just bonus damage potential with the main useful part of the attack still being Kirby's full body spin. All in all a distinct and useful, but not over powered, attack with a direct reference to a game.

D

Deleted member

Other redesigns

:ultganondorf: https://smashboards.com/threads/redesinging-ganondorf-but-keeping-him-the-same.513191/
:ultsamus: https://smashboards.com/threads/new-melee-moves-for-samus.515562/
:ultlink: https://smashboards.com/threads/redesigning-link-but-keeping-him-the-same.518191/
:ultkirby: https://smashboards.com/threads/redeisgning-kirby-but-keeping-him-the-same.521634/

I'm back to see if we can tweak some of Kirby's moves to see if we can make him more like he is in his games without changing his overall playstyle. Like before, improving the moveset isn't specifically the goal, especially here as I'm not very familiar with high level Kirby play.

First off I'm fine with most of his grounded normal attacks and throws, with one exception. They fit him visually and I'm pretty sure most of them come from his Fighter and Suplex powers in game. The issue is that this design philosophy goes for pretty much all his other attacks too. He just kicks a bunch when Kirby in his own game has an endless supply of powers. The one exception referenced before is his Down Tilt. Because it absolutely should be his slide from his own games. It's one of Kirby's most enduring moves in his own game and it surely would have been put in his moveset if he'd been put in the game now and not back in the 90s when sliding Down Tilts weren't a thing.
View attachment 382152

Now to move on to his Smash Attacks. Which are all just boring kicks. Of them only his forward smash actually comes from his games and while it is a bit iconic as a piece of art for him, I'd rather all his specials be a bit more distinctive and come directly from copy abilities. For his Forward Smash I've moved his Side Special Hammer. His hammer is considered a pretty useless special by the fan base, so it isn't doing much as it is now. By moving it to a more basic Smash attack it frees him up to have a more interesting side special.

View attachment 382154

For his up Smash I've given him his Sword Ability. One of his most iconic abilities to the extent that it's strange it's missing form his moveset in all games, unless you want to include his final smash. Despite being a grounded smash attack, the attack actually uses the aerial version of the sword attack in his own games. Kirby jumps very slightly and attacks with the sword in all directions. This makes it functionally pretty similar to his overhead kick that is his current Up Smash (he doesn't jump as high as in this gif)

View attachment 382153

His Down Smash is Needle. Kirby attacks in all directions by turning his body into a ball of spikes. This gives it a lot more coverage than his current Down Smash.
View attachment 382155

Next are his aerials. Possibly his most critsized attacks. Despite that I've kept his neutral aerial mostly the same. Because honestly it's just so dosh darn cute.

However I have added a slight electrical effect to it, just so it makes more sense as an attack and because Spark is also one of Kirby's iconic powers that hits in all directions like his neutral air.

View attachment 382156

His forward aerial is a series of three kicks. It is still a three hit attack, only now instead of kicking Kirby swings his Yoyo in a pattern hitting three times.
View attachment 382159

His back aerial is one solid kick. While a bit unorthodox, I've decided to replicate that one solid hit using the bomb ability, Kirby places a bomb behind him that immediately explodes.
View attachment 382158

Next is his Up aerial. Currently it's an over head kick in a wide arc. I've changed it to his Beam attack. Kirby attacks in a large arc above of him, functionally the same as his old up aerial only with a bit more range. Ignore the projectile in the gif below.
View attachment 382157

And finally for his down Aerial I've given him the stone ability from his special. As, let's face it, the only use it has as a special is trying to hit enemies from above. For Smash it just plain can't have the defensive purposes it has in the original games. So it's best off as a down aerial.

Now, on to his specials. His Neutral Special is, of course, unchanged. It already works as it should. And as you already know, his Side and Down Specials have been moved to normal attacks. So the first one I'll talk about is his Up Special, Cutter. This is a bit of an odd attack, as in Kirby's own games it's a pure projectile, while in Smash the projectile element is an after effect. So the move has become a bit more elaborate. In the air the attack is unchanged. Kirby swings up wards and attacks on the way down, releasing a projectile at the end. However, if used on the ground, things are a bit different. There are to variations that depend if there is an enemy (or if something else Kirby can hit) nearby or not. If there is an enemy nearby, Kirby slashes at them several times before launching the uppercut.
View attachment 382160
However, if there are no enemies near Kirby, he launches a weak projectile right away.

Now, onto his new Side Special. To give Kirby a little something from one of his near games, I've gone with the Drill Ability. Kirby Drills into the ground and moves as a shadow along the ground, similar to Greninja's Shaodw Sneak, emerging to damage enemies. The attack is very easy for enemies to defend against as where Kirby will appear is obvious. However, it functions as a bit of a noob trap, as the attack deals very high shield damage. So, while it's very easy to shield the attack given how obvious it is, shielding it is actually not always a smart idea.
View attachment 382161

Lastly for his Down Special. I don't know how to play Kirby, so I've given him a tool that's useful on any character. A reflector via the mirror ability. It works like Palutena's reflect ability, wherein Kirby summons a reflecting wall in front of him that moves forward slightly.
View attachment 382162

And so that's it for my redesigning Kirby moveset. I've tried to choose attacks that mostly resemble what he already does for his normals. Though given I've changed two entire special moves it probably would lead to a different playstyle for Kirby, but I think in a positive way since most people consider Hammer and Stone pretty useless special moves.
Cool,that moveset redesign for Kirby is awesome😉✌

Last edited by a moderator:

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Interesting moveset redesign. One thing that would help Kirby would be faster startup on Final Cutter so it is more useful as an out of shield option. By the way, what do you think of Delzethin’s moveset redesign of Kirby?
Interesting. I see a lot of similarities with my own. I shouldn't be surprised others think Hammer should just be a side smash. However, despite talking about Kirby's strengths and weakness, I don't think he served to actually address them. He talks about how Kirby is a punish heavy combo fighter, but few if any of the new moves actually seem to play into that. Particularly Wheel as a Side Special. I also see no reason to change his final smash. Ultra Sword is a good move that appears frequently in the Kirby series acting very much like a Final Smash. Changing it to the ending of Forgotten Land, something that it's unlikely he'll ever do again, seems to be an idea for the sake of an idea, just to have something in the video. On the other hand, keeping stone doesn't seem great to me. His only justification is "Not everything needs to change" which seems way more relevant to the final smash. His only suggestion to make a more viable move, simply letting it deal damage from a grounded state, is barely even a band aid. It's not going to be useful using it from a grounded state unless you really ramp up its kill power. What would be much more useful would be giving it a hitbox when Kirby leaves the stone state by spraying rocks in all directions as he breaks out. My knowledge of Kirby games isn't encyclopedic, but I know he at least does this in Crystal Shards.

Cool,that moveset redesign for Kirby is awesome😉✌
Thanks. Glad you like it. You might like some of the other moveset edits linked at the start..

Last edited:
Top Bottom