• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recurring problem

Tristan_win

Not dead.
What if my opponent has range and doesn’t wish to approach me?

This question I’ve been playing around a bit in my head I’ve already come up with a few answer for

1. Use your ^B to cut the distances between my opponent.
2. Use din fire to force them to approach you.
3. Reflect

Theses are the answer I’ve dreamt up would be most likely what I would received if I just finished this thread with my question and even though theses are good answer they are still wrong.

1. Even though the ^B is good for closing distances between you and your opponent it does have windup time and cool down. Although the attack at the end does make it much better in Brawl the thing is it can be shielded and then countered. If you don’t wish to hit your opponent upon reappearing you are depending on your opponent to mess up for not punishing you and against someone skilled in killing Zelda you will get punished very often.

2. Din fire is a great long range projectile but that’s just the problem it can only be used long to mid range effectively. If Zelda is fighting a ROB or even a Fox who not wish to approach they can either dash out enough pain for you to stop trying to use Din fire or interrupt you. Yes you can jump while casting in hopes to avoid most of the spammed range attacks but even so Din fire is easily shielded. Unlike other range attacks Din fire cannot be used to pressure someone safely.

3. I love Zelda refectory and all but it doesn’t come out very fast and usually require you to predict being hit before activation. The best you can get with this usually is a stalemate. With you being unable to pressure with Din fire and your opponent in fear of having his attacks reflect back at them it becomes a constant of who is more patient.

Zelda approach on the ground and air is also very bad.

Nair, Dair, Fair, Uair, Bair. They all can’t be used effectively to pressure or safely shorten the distance between you and your opponent. Fair and Bair are Zelda best options but hitting someone shield with the sweet spot will only bring problems.

Because of Zelda speed on the ground approaching isn’t very advisable and against a spammer there is little you can do besides shielding their every attack until you get close enough to go on the defensive again.

If you haven’t noticed I prefer to not depend on enemies mistakes on not punishing you correctly to win.

So...Any advise?

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
Oh, those are not your only options at all.

Try running, then shielding, then running, then shielding to progress while still not getting hit by certain things.

Try walking then shielding if the projectiles come out more steadily.

Short hop Airdodge(SHADing) to approach, then shield when you reach the ground and repeat.

And once you are in mid'ish range you could surprise them with a dash attack or dash grab. And if you predict a roll then even better.

Also, don't shut out her aerial options just because they're "usually" unsafe. They will be unsafe if you do them too often, but surprsingly someone with a Nair and getting behind them with it or airdodging behind them all make for tricky wats to break your opponents gaurd. Camping is a strat all slower characters have to learn to overcome but don't give up just yet. Look up some vids of Bum's DK vs Falcos and you'll see that even the biggest most clunky characters don't have problems getting at least midrange if done corretly.

FirebyrdXX

Smash Cadet
You mean to tell me you don't shorthop Din's Fire? You float a good distance while the projectile goes faster in front of you. It's probably Zelda's safest approach, because they have to worry about the explosion before they can worry about you.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Honestly, there aren't many characters that can get around Zelda that way. Perhaps another Zelda. Olimar too. Meh, I'm sure there are others, but anyway, about this approach business...

When I'm fighting characters with good projectiles, say, for example, another Zelda, there are a number of things I could do. Keep in mind that in serious battles I change between Sheik and Zelda a couple of times. I don't play as Sheik and use Zelda for the kill, I just change according to circumstance, so my techniques would differ. Playing as a Zelda only though...

At long distance, I could just spot/air dodge a Din, and send one of mine out after her. If it connects, I can send another one out, or SH Din towards her, before she can send out another one. I guess you could try something similar with other characters, like Samus or Olimar. Dodge their long-rangers, get a bit closer, send out one of your own.

When you see the start up, depending on the specific character's move, knowing how long it takes, you can FW as soon as you see their start up, so by the time you re-appear with your ending lag, they're still a bit lagged out. You don't have to get so close that they can attack you if they have the chance, just edge closer. One more thing, if you master FW and ledge-warping, when they're near the edge, which they'd have to be to do long-range attacks, you can ledge-warp to the edge and then immediately be in range with any aerial at your disposal, lag free. Just make mental marks about what positions you need to be at to do it right.

I have to slightly disagree with the importance of N-air. You can fast-fall while doing it and choose which direction you want to go in, at about 45 degrees or more if you do it right. This obviously won't work long range, but perhaps after FWing into a good position or something, it might be useful.

We know that Zelda is horrible on top, so staying on the ground is probably best for her. Still, you can SH FF Air-dodge, "L-cancel" towards them. As far as I know, you can L-cancel landing lag on jumps and attack immediately upon touching the ground. Trying to do it mid-attack doesn't really work. I think, personally, that Zelda's got some of the best dodges in the game. You can go directly from air-dodge to dodge doing the thing above, which would cover a lot of space.

These are just suggestions to be experimented with. They're each circumstance-based, and are not meant to be guide-lines for playing with Zelda. See what works, see what doesn't.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Roll... Spot dodge... Air dodge... Shorthop Din's fire...

Chances are you aren't going to be able to take 0 damage in the process. You will get hit a little bit, but it's not like anything they hit you with is going to do such massive damage unless it's a Din's Fire, which is easily enough avoided unless you're attacking too.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Roll... Spot dodge... Air dodge... Shorthop Din's fire...

Chances are you aren't going to be able to take 0 damage in the process. You will get hit a little bit, but it's not like anything they hit you with is going to do such massive damage unless it's a Din's Fire, which is easily enough avoided unless you're attacking too.

Top Bottom