• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, Melee had one (a long time ago), so why not Smash 64?

Top:
Pika
Kirby

High:
Jigglypuff
Ness
Luigi
Mario

Mid:
Yoshi
Fox

Low:
DK
Samus
Falcon

Bottom
Link

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
Should Samus be higher than DK? DK has little vertical recovery, whereas Samus gets it from screw attack and already has horizontal from her floatyness. The only problem is that she always needs to sweetspot the ledge.

ZMoney

Smash Rookie
In peoples vids (KSO's esp) I see CFalc doing a jump falc puch up b to recover. Whenever I try this I fall way too much during the falc punch...Is there something I'm missing?

Can someone explain why Yoshi is above CFalc and Samus? I can get back w/ samus bouncing on the down b's from pretty far out.

Also, is this a list of the distance the characters can get back or the best recovery? (For instance Ness can come back quite a ways but its easy to edge guard against him.)

Forgive me if I'm sounding a bit noobish...I only play 64 smash and am relatively new to the boards.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yoshi is mid because...
1. He has very good distance
2. He can't be knocked back during his second jump, which allows him to get past most edgeguarding strategies
3. DJC allows him to minimize his falling (and vulnerable) time

I think Samus's vertical recovery is just barely better than DK's. DK's horizontal recovery is much better than Samus's.

Blue Bird

Smash Cadet
Hehe, I thought this meant like, recovery as when you get hit, and then you can move again.

You know how Jiggly and Samus can basically move right after you hit them in the air? While Pikachu, Kirby and Fox take like forever to regain control? I think it's only Jiggly, Samus, Luigi and Mario that have the fast recovers though. All the rest get their butts ***** when you catch them in the air.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't think Jiggs should be placed that high...gets screwed when trying to recover from below...I think Luigi and Mario should be higher at least.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Ya IMO luigi and mario, especially mario, are much better at recovering than kirby.. who lets face it is pretty easy to hit when hes coming back to the stage.

Marios got down b for height, doublejump for distance, mad priority on his up B, and fireballs to rain down on people while recovering (Very hard to get around, for me anyway)

Luigi has got the same thing, but no fireballs so his recovery is worse than marios IMO

Having ness a high tier recovery makes no sense, he should be bottom as anytime he loses his doublejump off the stage, a top level player using any character would edgeguard him with ease.

ness' recovery is pretty much just as bad as links. It just goes farther.

Falcon should be bottom too, his recovery in my opinion is WORSE than links, you could edgeguard him with a paper plate and a plastic fork.

Just for fun ill make my own one :)

Top:
Pika

High:
Mario
Luigi

Mid:
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Fox
Yoshi

Low:
DK
Samus

Bottom
Ness
Link
Falcon

greenblob

Smash Lord
Disjointed hitboxes (so basically everyone's fsmash/dsmash) > Mario Bros.' up B. Also, spikes/sex kicks > Mario Bros.' down B.

Yoshi > Fox. Yoshi is invulnerable, whereas Fox is very exposed.

And how often do you need to recover vertically?

Kirby's up B is wimpy, but he still gets huge distance and his huge feet fend off edgeguarders well.

Also, I thought Ness was invincible during his up B, giving him either a way to sweetspot 100% of the time or even hit the edgeguarder.

And Link is clearly the lowest.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
You make good points about everything except Ness. I still fail to see how ness should be able to recover in any situation where he has to use his up b. Its just too easy...

I guess ya link is lowest, but falcon is HORRIBLE for recovery.

And I agree that yoshi > fox that was a typo.

Forgive me if im wrong, but isnt it practically impossible to sweetspot the edge with ness' up be horizontally?

I see people trying to do it vertically all the time, but they're always slightly off no matter what and end up getting shined, dash attacked, tilted, whatever.

Ness blows, essentially.

Yup, im hatin on the ness :p

greenblob

Smash Lord
It's very possible to sweetspot with Ness. It doesn't work if you wallhug though. You have to go directly at it.

Top Bottom