• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery mix ups?

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
So I have been playing spacies(fox more) for a bit now, and a lot of my friends find that my recovery is very predictable. are there any mixups on fox's recovery that you can do to set up mind games?

LMN8

Smash Rookie
Recovery mix-up does not require difficult angles or shine stalls necessarily. These are good tools to have but at the end of the day if your opponent knows where you are going, your chances of coming back are not very good. The key is to recovery is using the option that your opponent does not expect or cannot cover. For example if you up-b to ledge after getting hit off stage next time maybe try side-b or up-b at a different angle. You can also gain advantage by learning how your opponent edge-guards, if they only cover the ledge go high.

Recovery also included getting back up from the ledge. Once you are at the ledge you have to get back on without being read again. Fox has great ledge options and you should practice to feel safe on ledge, but don't too comfortable. Learning his many options can help you trick your opponent into thinking you are doing one thing and then actually doing something else.

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Fox's recovery has an immense amount of mix-ups, different angles, shortening, shine stalling, riding the wall, dropping low, etc. Try some of these and you'll probly see improvement.

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
As Saiblade said, Fox has a variety of different mix-ups in his recovery, try things like going straight up with your Up-B. It's not always about getting to the ledge, Fox has many different ways of recovering, and abusing them all is vital to recovering safely.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Thanks for the tips everyone! I am migrating to spacies after losing interest with falcon, and this helped a lot with my offstage options. One quick question, what are good options on the ledge with fox?( I am still a noob to spacies)

Last edited:

LMN8

Smash Rookie
At the ledge one of fox's most versatile tools is ledge dashing. If you do it perfectly enough you can get an invincible nair, shine or grab. You can also bait an attack with ledge dash into shield. It would also be a good idea to learn how to effectively stall and regain invincibility on the ledge with up-b as well as jumping up/away regrab or dropping low/away dj regrab. I would highly recommend watching top fox players in matches to see what they do on the ledge in different scenarios against different characters.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
Shine stalling is incredibly good if it is done correctly, and when mixed with shortens and good up-b angles, it makes for a tricky edgeguard. You can practice angles just on your own but applying them in matches can take some time and experience. The thing that helps with recovery is thinking, "What would I cover, if I'm edgeguarding?" because then you have a better guess at what your opponent is thinking and trying to cover.

Shine stalling is mainly useful because it throws off the timing of your recovery and in a way turns your recovery into reacting to your opponent. For example, Sheik has you off stage they may try to read an illusion with run off DJ Nair, had you shine stalled you can react to the Nair and recover accordingly. When close to the edge shine stalls can also be used to find a place to safely sweetspot the edge. Obviously mindless shine stalling will get you killed so it is important to mix up whether you shine stall or not.

As said before, learn ledge dashing, doing it well forces your opponent to respect the option because of your invincibility frames.

Top Bottom