• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

recovering...

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
the best I can figure is you get three actions when you are off the level. I usually jump, air dodge towards the level, and up B towards the level...

how do you guys get back without falling?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Mario can:

Down B (hit B rapidly for gained height)
over B (cape, gives horizontal boost)
double jump
air dodge if close to stage
wall jump if close enough to stage
upB
upB walljump in certain situations

Basically use a bunch of different variations of that and you can have a decent recovery.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
Mario can:

Down B (hit B rapidly for gained height)
over B (cape, gives horizontal boost)
double jump
air dodge if close to stage
wall jump if close enough to stage
upB
upB walljump in certain situations

Basically use a bunch of different variations of that and you can have a decent recovery.
how does one wall jump?

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
more like stay close to a wall and quickly tilt the control stick away and up from the wall and Mario will automatically jump away ala Prince of Persia.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What I normally do is fall till I'm lvl with the stage horizontally, Cape about twice depending on how close I am, and nado/up B depending on how close I am or whether or not I wanna stall. Remember to DI your upB which can be infinitely helpful, don't use anything you don't need, prepare for walltechs, and don't give up cuz you don't think you're close enough. Mario's recovery isn't bad in distance, just predictability.

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
How I Recover

1st DI
if ur hit by a horizontal attack, u should b DIing up so ur as high as possible (without dying ofcourse)

2nd down-b
just practice, press down-b then repeatly press b as fast as u can tilting the controller stick towards the stage. the purpose of it is to gain horizontal distance, not vertical, so dont do this below the stage unless u can prefectly perform it and double jump right after.
( remember u can only get this back after u are ontop of the stage and not in animation, meaning that ur not dash dancing r lcanceling an attack)

3rd
cape... dbl jump (still DIing towards the stage ofcourse)...and ur most likely at the ledge and dont have to upb....u prob wont b edgehogged bc of how close u r to the stage already and should grab the ledge

if u get hit from sheiks fair or a knee....ur probably done bc the only way mario can recover is to the ledge
which can b easily edge hogged
u should probably skill the tonrado 1st and dbl jump cape and then tonrado to up-b

u easily can mix up a few things like dbl jumping to cape....or try reverse cape to bair (bc that move is a lot better then fair or nair) but i wanna say 90% of the time im doing it the 1st way i described....when ur closer to the stage u can mix it up and cape to grab the ledge...

i usually only cape once....i dont find it truly beneficial to do it a 2nd time unless im stalling...also stalling with down-b can be very good when close to the edge.....expericened players do kno how to edge guard against this...basically wait for the rediculous lag after....so i dont recommend doing this too often

up-bing should prob b a last resort unless the opponent is coming off the stage, which u should probably use since it has a lot of prioirty and a few frames of invinibility

remember when upbing u can DI in the upb and make it more angled to the ledge....also u can ride up stages like final destination to the edge....also b prepared to wall tech...and dont wall jump it...or u wont get back...so dont hold up when u wall tech

EDIT: thanx red. i forgot....fireballing ur opponent as u approach the edge so they cant just sit on the ledge and edge hog u....or fireball them when they are on stage so they dont set up for a marth fsmash or something

hope that helped

Red.

Smash Ace
depends on how High up i am.

If it's way high: I fireball to try to prevent edgegaurd,cape,tornado,jump,up B

thats what i do sometimes.

Dair brings you back a bit. Use that right after a jump if a fireball won't work well in that situation. Mario's recovery is so bad it might make a difference. :p

iMichael

Smash Lord
It actually depends on how high you are and whose edgeguarding you for certain tactics. I myself use 2 bairs yes! BAIRS!!!! to recover, strange I know. Heres one of my recoveries....

Silent Wolf sends Envy in da air so I.....
Bair 2x, cape, wall jump, up B...it's sick...also hard to explain. I don't think anyone else recovers like that =D

Use fireballs too =D

Fireballs aren't that great for recovering really. People usually WD off and go under them then jump aerial you. I guess from really far away they might do something? lol Mario is bad.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Eggz!!!!!!!!!

What I was saying was....

Yoshi Story your trying to recover and your being edgeguarded....you can simply wall jump to upB really fast or wall Jump to upB to wall Jump to upB....NOW YOU GET WHAT IM SAYING MOFO!? =D

shizzlee

Smash Apprentice
Since I am a Mario user too, I might as well put how I recover. I normally just tilt the control stick to the stage, and once I get close enough I double jump then use the cape then upb. That is usually enough for me to reach the stage and grab a ledge.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Since I am a Mario user too, I might as well put how I recover. I normally just tilt the control stick to the stage, and once I get close enough I double jump then use the cape then upb. That is usually enough for me to reach the stage and grab a ledge.
uhh......it's not if you are facing a worthy opponent who has a 5 year old's knowledge of how to edgeguard.........

Top Bottom