• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovering vs Marth

Erave

Smash Cadet
Hey dudes.

I have been having lots of trouble returning on the ledge with a ledgeguarding Marth. Any ideas? From far away hits I am forced to bomb jump, I try to grab the sweet spot from the top and you get slashed. If you B-Up from the bottom you can get poked by his crouch sword, and if I grapple I end up getting slashed in some other ways. I find it frustrating as hell to get back on. I have recently been trying to launch projectiles from off the stage to get back on, but it's hard to land. Any other ideas?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
this is really annoying when you trying to recover agaisn him but i try sometimes to save my jump and at the last moment jump and Nair or Fair marth. i your not in the position to do that you could always just work on sweetspotting the edge of the stage so when you pull on the grapple you grab the edge straight away

mach5

Smash Journeyman
i say the best way is to super sweet spot with his up b. or practice teching. oh another way of great tech skill is.

grapple the wall.
lift yourself up just to the point where you can wall jump.
wall jump
then bair off that wall jump.

it takes good timing to do all that. or you could replace the bair with a airdodge faking them out from a fsmash. since marth's fsmash is very laggy i take that time to try to grab him or dsmash them

Erave

Smash Cadet
How do you limit your grapples verticle range upwards to just grab the sweet spot without touching it? I noticed that when I Up-B just low enough to grab the low end of the sweet spot he can't touch me. From there it's usually easy to get back on.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
well if its really hard to sweetspot the edge for some, one way to do it is only to spam bombs to come from the top.

if you are coming from behind just try to sweetspot and if you cant and you see the forward smash coming DI up and then from that come from the top and try to trick him so he cant keep you from touching ground

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
once he hits you away from the stage, drop one bomb, and start DIing towards the stage. Make sure you haven't used your double jump yet. once you get to about the same level as the stage, you have to make a decision on how you're going to get to the ledge.

you could sweetspot your grapple, sweetspot your upB, sweetspot with your double jump, or upB onto the stage.

choose depending on what the marth is doing. if he's on the ledge waiting for you, he's looking to bair you when you sweetspot your grapple or he's looking to dair spike you when you upB. counter this by grappling lower than the ledge and walljumping out of it. from there, bombjump towards the stage, and it should be as easy as upBing or airdodging back onto the stage.

if the marth is waiting for you near the ledge looking for a dtilt, fsmash, or anything else like that, simply sweetspot your upB or grapple.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
Sweetspot and ledgetech. Keep your options open too.

Samus can actually airdodge to the ledge and still grab it if you use your grapple at the right moment. That's kinda like a sweet spot, but you can't miss or you die.

Vids help too.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I have also seen rising grapple used to good effect in these types of situations. With a nice grapple you can launch into an attack immediately, but the marth is going to need to be close to the stage to catch him right.

Grapple tricks are definitely a winner here, there is just so much you can do with a wall and a grapple beam.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Beam cancel. Or you can just make your recovery less predictable.

If marth jumps out to slash you out of your beam, next time just wait a bit after dodging before shooting out your beam.

If marth forward smash edge guards, just sweetspot the edge with grapple. If you have to do it with the up b, get ready to tech, just incase.

Once your on the edge, you gotta mix it up. If they are trying to poke you, don't even bother ledge hopping to a fair, maybe use a nair. Don't roll, marths can easily punish that. The only real time you should actually go for a roll is when they are trying to jump to do an attack on you. Jumping from the ledge works on marths that like to sit there and try forward smashing everything.

One more note, you can crouch cancel marths fair and down smash out of it. Use this to your advantage.

Top Bottom