• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovering vs Counters with Chrom

Is there any kind of trick to this? I almost feel forced to invest my time in Roy over Chrom because it seems almost literally impossible to recover vs counters once you can't reach the stage without your Up-b, due to Up-B having no hitbox at the top until Chrom's body is physically there. Can you recover further out than their counter and still grab ledge? Can you recover just under their counter and still grab?

If so, does anyone have a good way to practice this, maybe similar to how we used to practice wall-teching during your recovery in Melee by placing a motion sensor bomb at the edge.

h4 Gambiteer

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
You can do a couple things. First, practice sweet spotting the edge. This won't hit someone standing at the ledge, so you won't trigger counters. If someone wants to counter a sweet spot upB, they'll need to run off and counter (In this case recovering high will get you around it, so it's basically a 50-50).

You can also upB backwards, which will not trigger counters. Of course you're SUPER vulnerable to anything else, but if you read the counter you'll be safe.

I'd recommend against trying to outrange counters though, because most of them have a large hitbox. Mix up up and hope to win the 50-50, but imo there are more definite ways to edgeguard chrom than counters.

You can do a couple things. First, practice sweet spotting the edge. This won't hit someone standing at the ledge, so you won't trigger counters. If someone wants to counter a sweet spot upB, they'll need to run off and counter (In this case recovering high will get you around it, so it's basically a 50-50).

You can also upB backwards, which will not trigger counters. Of course you're SUPER vulnerable to anything else, but if you read the counter you'll be safe.

I'd recommend against trying to outrange counters though, because most of them have a large hitbox. Mix up up and hope to win the 50-50, but imo there are more definite ways to edgeguard chrom than counters.
Thanks for the reply, man. Talking about how large counters are, however, does the reverse really work that well vs them? I know you can't grab the ledge backwards, so I'm assuming you go on stage, but how do you not hit them at that point?

h4 Gambiteer

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
Thanks for the reply, man. Talking about how large counters are, however, does the reverse really work that well vs them? I know you can't grab the ledge backwards, so I'm assuming you go on stage, but how do you not hit them at that point?
If they stay on the edge and counter, you can sweetspot the edge without hitting the counter.

If they jump off and counter, you can reverse upB without hitting their jump. (even if they stay on ledge and counter, the reverse hitbox may throw off their timing).

So it's a 50-50. Guess if they'll run off and counter or if they stay on and counter. Although of course, some moves (besides counter) can cover all options. For instance, as Ike I rarely counter because a well-timed eruption can kill chrom on reaction without need to rely on a 50-50.

Top Bottom