• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovering from the underside of stages

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
So, you guys know how certain stages such as PS2 and Skyworld have the ledges where you can get stuck under them, spelling instant doom for you? Now, with Roy, you can recover from them! It's a fairly simple input, but you'll have to do some odd clawing for it to work or change up the control scheme.

How this works is because of Roy's ability (is it intended?) to go backwards in his up special. You press up special, and then quickly hold the cstick to the direction that Roy's back is facing, and it'll carry you to the ledge. Note that you have to be facing the middle of the stage for this to work. Here's another method.

This works on PS2 and Skyworld as far as I know since I haven't tested the other stages. I don't think that it will work on Lylat due to the side of the stage slanting down.

Cheers!

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot, but thanks to @ SNEAKY_URKEL SNEAKY_URKEL for making the gfy for me!

Last edited:

Bag'O'Nuts

PM4LIFE
Wow, I don't know why I've never tried doing that. I've been able to do the backwards Up-B when messing around but I never thought to use it in a practical situation. Can't wait to try it out when I get home later.
Thanks Oddyesy:143:

SlashStarEX

Smash Rookie
I can confirm that it works on PS2, Battlefield, Smashville, Dreamland, Lylat, FD, Norfair, FoD, and Skyworld,

How does that mean it's practical? Not often, as it is VERY situational, and on Norfair, FoD, Dreamland the timing and location are pretty strict on where it will safely have you ledgesnap. Now it's absolutely great for Skyworld, Smashville, PS2, Battlefield, and Lylat, as there are much more locations where you can perform this to get ledgesnap.

At times when you are too deep into the middle of the stage it is possible to side-b wavebounce? (I'm not too particularly sure if this is the correct term, but when performed in the air it will cause you to perform the animation in the direction roy is facing, but your momentum will shift backwards) and make it possible to recover with this method when it isnt possible with only this new tech.

It is possible to overshoot and end up freefalling to your death, so it is not completely free

I used the 2nd method described, even then it's still pretty hard for me to think that I could pull off since I hold it pretty standard and this had me being prepared to do I still struggled.

Anyway good find, it will benefit those who practice and learn the uses.

Top Bottom