• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovering From Ledge When Opponent is Closing in

Doxy

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,

I was just curious what other people were opting for when recovering from ledge to the stage once an opponent is fairly close by. I personally find that once an opponent gets to be in striking distance that egg stalling can become very punishable and that its best to navigate my way back on stage.

Defensive Recoveries:
The obvious way to get back on stage is the regular get up or the roll, however both tend to leave Yoshi in a bit of a vulnerable state since its difficult to get away from the close quarters afterwards. I have had some success by rolling on then wave dashing into a light shield predicting an attack but I still find it hard to regain any stage control.

Aggro Recoveries:
I really enjoy Yoshi's defensive traits but I honestly love how he has so many different options and I was curious what other people were doing. That being said when it comes to more aggro recoveries, I think that Yoshi's two most viable options are his bair, Nair, and fair (fair being kind of spotty). I have used these quite a bit when recovering and I am a really big fan of dropping down, reversing Yoshi via double jump (while spacing slightly away from the stage) and then approaching with my bair. By using bair I found that it gave me a lot of room depending on my opponent's reaction. It provides decent spacing which makes it less punishable and it gives some variety to how I recover. Furthermore, it can easily lead into a combo and quickly reverse the pace of a match due to Yoshi's punishing ability. Let me know what you guys are doing because I am genuinely curious what the Yoshi community thinks in this area. The big risk is obviously being hit out of the double jump, but if you start your attack at a decent point relative to the stage and the opponent I find that Yoshi can approach fairly easily.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Waveland or Aerial Interrupt onstage. Don't use ledgehop aerials often. If you want to attack, use Aerial Interrupt and put out an intangible tilt. If you want distance, use Waveland.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
I primarily use waveland onto stage into a light shield/parry, or double jump and waveland onto platform at lower percents if i'm trying to get to center stage. There's some intangibility on the way up if you refresh on the ledge. The former option can be really good, since you can take the hit and get your double jump back, as well as possibly get an aerial out when sliding off the platform. If they are coming toward me I usually use ECEs, and if I want to refresh my intangibility I use Yoshi bomb. Aerial interrupt as Perhapsman said is probably the best option, but I have yet to implement it in my game.

Doxy

Smash Rookie
Would Haxdashing have any use to yoshi, besides stunting it up and being a yoshi bawler? Since yoshi can refresh frames by the yoshi bomb, I don't know if this would have any use but I figured it might be worth bringing up. Also isnt aerial interrupt very precise and difficult to implement? I find the timing really tight IMO.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
With haxdashing, you might as well just learn aerial interrupt instead if you're talking technical difficulty. It is applicable to more situations and is just straight up better to have. When you're talking Yoshi, everything is very precise and difficult to implement, especially when first learning him lol. But if you want to learn another ledge option, there would be no harm in doing so. Having a deeper bag of tricks is nice at times. I just personally don't see the need in learning to haxdash as yoshi, in the same way that I don't think it's worth learning to RECE because it's so trivial and frame dependent on a character that already has a hard time surviving off stage. I'd rather not SD trying to do some unnecessary tech tbh. Just my two cents, but I very well could be wrong.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
There are two advantages that haxdashing has over Yoshi Bomb.

- if your opponent reads the haxdash and edgehogs you, you won't lose your stock
- the act of going onstage before each waveland back the ledge makes it ambiguous whether you intend to go back to the ledge or return to the stage

It is more difficult, and definitely not required tech, but it does have clear advantages. It's better to put the time into working on fundamentals or more basic tech, and leave haxdashing for later.

Doxy

Smash Rookie
Haha, alright thanks guys. I just had a buddy come over and we played for like six hours. Gave me a good chance to see why approaching the stage with an attack will not work against someone who actually knows what they are doing. DEFINITELY not worth losing the jump far too risky.

Top Bottom