• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovering against Falcon

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I have trouble recovering against Falcon players. I try to mix up side-b and up-b and sweet spotting the ledge and recovering high and in different angles. But what else should I do to avoid down-tilt and the knee?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I have trouble recovering against Falcon players. I try to mix up side-b and up-b and sweet spotting the ledge and recovering high and in different angles. But what else should I do to avoid down-tilt and the knee?
You can try mixing in shine-stalls, shortening side-b, snapping to the ledge, and a few other things.

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
If he's coming after you with an aerial but won't reach you during your hitstun, mix in drifting away from the stage after getting out of it. You're fox you can recover from far away anyway so he will misjudge the spacing.

Drop low! People won't expect someone dropping much lower than necessary, of course you shouldn't do this all the time since a read will get you guaranteed dead, but it's a powerful mix-up that throws people off.

Shinestall for a bit before illusions. Not longer than half a second and always try to vary the timing, but if falcon don't know when you side b he can't punish you.

You can also try to trick him with your vertical spacing on the illusion and hit his head if he's trying a dtilt, filt or knee but you need to read his attack and he should preferably be at high% so he won't immediately turn around and punish you.

Finally, hug the wall. You'd be surprised how diagonal your angles can really be, it throws off everyone all the time. Learn how to crawl up on stages with the lowest possible angles and you'll be recovering twice as much as you used to.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Wall jumps and air dodges can also be added to your recovering tools.

Vs falcon l usually try to sweespot from below so l can tech the edge while being ready to meteor cancel if needed.

Last edited:

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
When going low to avoid offstage recovery interception, but not far enough that you need your DJ to get back, shine Falcon after he comes down. If far out, but vertically able to illusion to the ledge relatively quickly, illusion to the ledge such that you avoid Falcon't hitboxes.

Implementing shinestalls and walljumps also helps. If Falcon's onstage, make an evaluation of what options he can reasonably cover. If he's not in range to take ledge or hit it with a tilt, go for the sweetspot. If he is try to recover high, DI well, and weave as appropriate, or you could try to read him attempting to read your recovery.

Basically just recover in ways that put you away from hitboxes. You usually don't want to fastfall vs. a move like dtilt that tends to catch you falling on it.

It's better to not have to recover low most of the time, but sometimes your opponent might actually be bad at covering it.

Top Bottom