• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recommended number of mains ?

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Well hello there. I am soon gonna try Project M and wanted to know some stuff before going into it.
And the main question I'm trying to answer is this one : how many mains should I have ?

I know that I'll main :mario2: and :dedede:, but what is the recommended number of mains in Project M ? I just want to know. It could also help beginners/people in general who are struggling finding the perfect number of characters to play. I personally think 2 should be enough, but I wanna hear your opinion.

That's all I have to say. I hope someone will help me solving this question !

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
If you're just starting out, pick one character and stay with that character to begin with. Learn the fundamentals of the game through one frame of reference, and develop as much skill as you can with just that character. Even though PM is a MU-heavy game compared to Melee, you'll most likely be getting bopped a bit anyway if you're new so don't worry about expanding your coverage until you learn more about the game itself, which will help you with compensating for character shortcomings and be much more beneficial to you as a player later on.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Main one character. Play around with as many others as you like in lab/friendlies so long as you stick with your main in tournament and still put most of your training into them.

It's good to play other characters sometimes (for fun, or to learn things from those character to apply to your main or in general), but the point of having a main at all is to be able to focus your time and effort on it so you push your skill as far as you can. You can't do that if you're trying to maintain multiple characters at your peak level; you're going to spread yourself too thin and end up being mediocre with several characters instead of good with one. Unless you can already play one character at a top level, trying to seriously learn others at the same time is just going to make it harder to reach the top level with any of them.

Why do you need both Dedede and Mario?

Last edited:

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
one at first. Then when you're a serious contender to take tournaments two if you have stupid matchups. If you don't have stupid matchups one till the end.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Why do you need both Dedede and Mario?
I dunno, those are 2 characters I really like, though I already thought of only maining Mario, being more viable (at least, that's what I heard).

It's not a "need", it's just a "why not". But thanks all of you for your tips. Guess I'll focus on Mario then. I mained Doc in Melee and Mario in Smash 4 (before switching to Luigi), so I'll still have some experience. Very little though, I suck at Melee.

But anyway, thanks everyone ! If a mod' passes by, he can lock this thread.

Narpas_sword

I say this every time this topic comes up.

One.

You have One main, or no main.
Other characters are secondaries.

Your main is who you pick in a double blind situation when you don't know the opponent.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You have to be at quite a high level before having 2+ characters becomes necessary IMO. If you're just starting out, you should be able to just use one character just fine. You may run into "unwinnable" matchups, but at your level it's entirely reasonable to reach a level of skill where you can outplay your opponent by that large of a margin. Only at high/top level do players become close enough to the skill ceiling such that doing so is effectively impossible.
Otherwise, most of the players you'd be losing to, you'll be losing to them anyway regardless of character. Just try to learn and improve early on and don't sweat the counterpick war for now.

Top Bottom