• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recommendations on secondary for a ganon main?

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
I play a lot of ganon in melee and i was looking into a second character. does anybody have any suggestions and why i should?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Oh lol I just made a thread in the ICCs board about perhaps making a secondary ICCs. The reason I'm considering it is to deal with sheiks, even though I think I have a pretty solid sheik matchup as ganon already.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
Oh man the more I think about it, the better they seem.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_matchup_(SSBM)

Ganon's bad matchups:

Fox, Falco, Sheik, Falcon, Puff

ICCs matchups:

Fox: 4-6 (ICCs-x)
Falco: 5-5
Sheik: 6-4
Falcon: 5-5
Puff: 5-5

They do better against all of ganon's weaknesses. It's a pretty good fit.
Yeah thanks. I was looking at the matchups and was thinking c falcon or ic's. Ic's seems a better choice against sheik. Also can you link to the thread you posted?

The PikMan

Smash Cadet
I picked up Peach in order to deal with the spacies and it has been working out well, it doesn't make as much sense as IC's by the numbers but I really enjoy Peach's playstyle since it's kinda like Ganon's in that it's aerial based and you have to play a strong spacing and punish game rather than rely on combos in order to succeed. My local meta is different than yours though so YMMV

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
I picked up Peach in order to deal with the spacies and it has been working out well, it doesn't make as much sense as IC's by the numbers but I really enjoy Peach's playstyle since it's kinda like Ganon's in that it's aerial based and you have to play a strong spacing and punish game rather than rely on combos in order to succeed. My local meta is different than yours though so YMMV
I'll trybher too just for the aerials. Thanks! Also where i live there is a near nonexistent scene. Haha thanks again.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
LMK how it goes, I may dabble in IC's a bit and report back
Alright, got free time right now.

LMK how it goes, I may dabble in IC's a bit and report back
I actually really like peach. I've never used her before but after messing around with her and the float mechanics, I really using her. Her aerials work really great!

I also really like ice climbers. Ground game is different, but really good. I might just choose IC's for a secondary.

Thank you so much! Peach is the character i've been missing this whole time. She is one of my favorite chracters now. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

The PikMan

Smash Cadet
I haven't played yet but I'm glad the Peach recommendation worked out for you

Triforce of Love

Smash Cadet
Im thinking about adding a secondary for variety, BUT im also concerned that another main might subtract from the potential greatness that is the Great King of Evil. What do you guys think about:

A) dr. Mario- ive enjoyed him as a quasi-secondary, but i dont know how substantial his tactical benefits are

B) falcon because faster cloned moves might be easier to learn or like fox or somebody just because their insane

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
When looking at a secondary you want to consider Ganon's problem matchups (shiek fox falco puff), your general playstyle, and personal preferences. I second/dual main Luigi because he's fun and I don't care about matchup coverage. You'd be in a similar boat if you chose either of these 2. Doc does better vs fox, falco, and sheik than Ganon. Falcon does slightly better than Ganon on fox, falco, sheik, marth, and puff. But neither are by a huge margin. Ideally, the best secondary would be a top Tier. Basically anyone. But you really have to cater to your own playstyle... Like, I can't play IC's... I suck at IC's... just because they have a great matchup on sheik doesn't mean I'll ever switch to IC's from Ganon. Playing a secondary can be detrimental to your Ganon play, or it could even be beneficial. You just have to experiment and find out what works best for you.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
Im thinking about adding a secondary for variety, BUT im also concerned that another main might subtract from the potential greatness that is the Great King of Evil. What do you guys think about:

A) dr. Mario- ive enjoyed him as a quasi-secondary, but i dont know how substantial his tactical benefits are

B) falcon because faster cloned moves might be easier to learn or like fox or somebody just because their insane
Yeah I feel

Yeah I feel the same way. I started using peach for a secondary but went back to ganon and and got 3 stocked by my friend. I'll just see then.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
When looking at a secondary you want to consider Ganon's problem matchups (shiek fox falco puff), your general playstyle, and personal preferences. I second/dual main Luigi because he's fun and I don't care about matchup coverage. You'd be in a similar boat if you chose either of these 2. Doc does better vs fox, falco, and sheik than Ganon. Falcon does slightly better than Ganon on fox, falco, sheik, marth, and puff. But neither are by a huge margin. Ideally, the best secondary would be a top Tier. Basically anyone. But you really have to cater to your own playstyle... Like, I can't play IC's... I suck at IC's... just because they have a great matchup on sheik doesn't mean I'll ever switch to IC's from Ganon. Playing a secondary can be detrimental to your Ganon play, or it could even be beneficial. You just have to experiment and find out what works best for you.
Right now I've been playing fox and I've been liking it. I am working on his technical stuff stuff but yeah. Thank you for the help.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Some people are just better at switching between characters than other people.... others should just stick to their main. Just feel it out. Remember if you pick up a character for 1-2 matchups, you're still probably going to have to play Ganon against that character once in the set. It'll all come to you. Ganon can handle all matchups aside from m2k sheik or hbox puff lol.

edit: no prob man

Last edited:

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
Fox is the best secondary to anyone, and learning Fox will make you a better melee player. Otherwise, jiggs and sheik are the easiest for a ganon main probably

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
What more needs to be said? Fox really isn't the best character for everyone, and just simply learning how to play another character won't necessarily make you better. There are no definitive characters that are easier for certain mains; it all depends on the individuals.

If you read through these boards, you'll find ganon mains with a plethora of secondaries.

Honest Ham

Smash Rookie
Fox is the best secondary to anyone, and learning Fox will make you a better melee player.
After plateauing with my ganondorf, I picked up Fox as my secondary and it helped a ton. A while ago, I remember posting about being too slow to do edge-hop + uair. Since learning Fox, I can do it almost every time.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
For every "secondary" thread for any character, the answer is Fox.

If you main fox, then you should secondary fox.

Kixar

Smash Rookie
I actually mess around with Bowser or DK when I don't feel like playing ganon. I just like playing heavier characters though.

DeathMetalGimli

Smash Rookie
So a Falco would be a decent character to pocket if I main Ganon? I just started melee coming from PM and I have a lot of issues in the captain falcon and marth matchups. I've tried Fox but I just feel more comfortable with Falco's playstyle

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
So a Falco would be a decent character to pocket if I main Ganon? I just started melee coming from PM and I have a lot of issues in the captain falcon and marth matchups. I've tried Fox but I just feel more comfortable with Falco's playstyle
If you have trouble with falcon/marth I suggest picking up Marth yourself or picking up Sheik. Sheik soft counters both marth and falcon, and Marth soft counters falcon.

Other options include sonic who covers a vast array of troublesome matchups because his speed is in such contrast to gannon's (along with squirtle to a lesser extent). Sonic almost flat out counters falcon in my personal opinion but that might just be bias from playing against my friend's sonic. He also does well against aggressive marths (and roys) because he forces them to play on the defense. He does this with pretty much every character so any character that screws gannon over by making him play on their terms can be covered by sonic because of how dominate sonic's movement is.

Another option is just doing a spacie since they don't really have bad matchups in any real sense of the word.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Marth does not soft counter falcon. It would be more accurate to say they soft counter each other (lol). It depends mostly on marth's spacing/zoning/stage control. If he can keep falcon outside, Marth wins. If falcon is finding a way through marth's wall of fairs/tilts/jabs somewhat consistently, falcon wins. They can both 0-death the other REAL QUICK.

DeathMetalGimli

Smash Rookie
Other options include sonic who covers a vast array of troublesome matchups because his speed is in such contrast to gannon's (along with squirtle to a lesser extent). Sonic almost flat out counters falcon in my personal opinion but that might just be bias from playing against my friend's sonic. He also does well against aggressive marths (and roys) because he forces them to play on the defense. He does this with pretty much every character so any character that screws gannon over by making him play on their terms can be covered by sonic because of how dominate sonic's movement is.

Another option is just doing a spacie since they don't really have bad matchups in any real sense of the word.
Sorry I wasn't super clear but I was looking for melee help.

That's very interesting about Sonic in PM though. I don't know any Sonic players in the area and there aren't any super good Sonics that I can even think of except maybe Wizzrobe. Maybe I'll give him a try when I play PM with friends just to see how well that goes. I have been dual-maining Ganon and Wolf though so I usually don't run into the same issues in PM due to Wolf's speed compared to Ganons. Maybe I should pick up Diddy and you can just call me Junebug :D

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
I dabble in Marth and Falcon. Works out pretty well for me. Marth vs spacies on every stage, and Falcon for the Falcon ditto (because that's hype as ****) and on Stadium/Final Destination because those are the stages I have the most trouble with as Ganon.

Sauron_The_Great

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drewsauron
Ganon's weight and speed are an issue, so play heavy characters like bowser, DK, Dedede in brawl, stuff like that. To get used to his moves, play falcon, to get a good second, play marth

Top Bottom