• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recoloring CSPs?

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
How do I properly recolor CSPs such as Luddoj's or SJS's CSPs which are very high quality? Is there a specific program I should use to do it? What tools should I use in it to properly do it? Any general tips?

Last edited:

redxslash

Smash Cadet
As for general tips of how I would go about changing a CSP to a Luddoj or SJS one, I would backup my original version of the custom build or game I am working on. Then, I would insert all of SJS CSP pack into the custom build, open that custom build up with the costumemanager program, and export the CSP's I want into a folder on the desktop. Afterwards, I would open up the original version of the custom build I recently backed up with the costumemanager program, and import or replace all the CSP's that I want into that one. And do the same thing with all of Luddoj's CSP's.

As for getting a higher quality, I think you can do that with brawlbox. Think it has something to do with re-encoding the csp and changing the format type to CMPR, or some other format type. Not entirely too sure, but you can google the method for more info.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Dude, Op is asking how to get csp recolours for the sjs/luddoj csps, as they are typically of higher quality, not how to generally insert them. Like if they had a purple Mario costume, how would they go about colouring the sjs pose purple without it looking like garbage.

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
What I typically do for recoloring CSPs is putting the original CSP in Photoshop, opening the costume in brawlbox and display it, alt+print screen, paste screen in Photoshop, sample the colors from the screen and copy values into notepad (usually 6 numbers/letters), select image>adjustments>replace color, sample original color, set second color using value in notepad, make adjustments, and voila! Basically, select region and make color adjustments like hue, saturation and brightness in whatever you got for image editing. You can probably do the above steps in Gimp, but with similar tools that Gimp has.

redxslash

Smash Cadet
Dude, Op is asking how to get csp recolours for the sjs/luddoj csps, as they are typically of higher quality, not how to generally insert them. Like if they had a purple Mario costume, how would they go about colouring the sjs pose purple without it looking like garbage.
Oh, my mistake. Got confused. Then pretty much Op should follow what Topaz is talking about, he seems to know his stuff when it comes to gimp and photoshop.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Luddoj, SJS, and other CSP...maker...people (lol) make the recolors in BrawlBox iirc. They custom pose the character model for the default costume, load the other color palette models with that same pose, save screenshots, and then do some quick lighting/color edits in photoshop. Recoloring them via photoshop cleanly can be a tad painful :/

EDIT: @ TopazPhoenix TopazPhoenix has the right idea on how you would go about it via photoshop, although as I said it doesn't always work out cleanly, since lightness/saturations look softer and more natural on certain hues like cyans or reds, but go crazy and stand out more on hues like purples, as you might take notice to if using the basic Adjustment tools. Or maybe I just suck lol. But at least by my OCD standards (and that would mean no annoying over-exposed spots), recoloring in photoshop makes me sad.

If you did want to make it super clean by crazy OCD standards, I'd suggest learning how to use vectors for manual recolors, on top of a B&W layer. It's less prone to error, and will either take 10x more or 10x less time out of your day, depending on how comfortable/experienced you are in vectoring. Unfortunately I belong to the former group, so I can't help much with this lol...but there are a plethora of online tutorials you can google for if the Adjustment tool quick-fixes don't satisfy you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom