• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recently picked up Palutena and looking for advice on how to improve! : D

FoxwolfJackson

Smash Rookie
As my icons on my profile indicate, I do main Jigglypuff, but I recently got into using Palutena as a secondary main and have been practicing like crazy to try to make her just as good as my actual main. Only thing is, I'm not sure what kind of crazy cool things I can do with this character or some ways I can utilize her to her fullest in combat, so I'm reaching out for help from the Palutena board here. : D

Here's three recent gameplay videos (pre-patch and post-patch... although I don't think that makes a difference):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6P6ri2mEuo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PErKalOTHqQ
(older video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kymXeay3uk

I know one of the issues I have to deal with is knowing how to deal with characters off the edge and doing aerial combat without relying upon the multiple jumps that Jiggs has (hence the death in the second video), but any critique/comments would be greatly appreciated and helpful!

EDIT: The other issue is, in the heat of the moment, sometimes I switch the input for counter and reflect. Eventually, I'll sort out that mixup, hopefully!

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
First of all, welcome aboard to the Palutena ship! If you're looking to learn more about this character, I highly recommend you read this guide by Ice Ninja. It's a very well-written guide for everyone who's trying to main Palutena. It's got what you need to know for Palutena's neutral, advantage, and disadvantage game (pretty much a good amount of everything lol).
http://smashboards.com/threads/lady-palutenas-guidance.385957/

Anyways, moving on to the vids you posted. You being a Puff main, it'll be obvious for you that one of Puff's biggest weaknesses is his approach game. The biggest "approach" he has are his fair and bair, and he'll use it to create the wall of pain. However, you can shut this down by playing defensively. If you are in mid to mid-far range from Puff, camp him with Autoreticle and force him to make the move. If he does come close, begin to wall yourself out with short-hop rising f-airs and b-airs. Of course, if Puff tries to adapt to this by approaching on the ground, just space yourself well and punish him after shielding his attacks. This should be an easy MU for Palutena.

As for Bayonetta, I really can't say much about the MU with her, since I honestly don't know anything about her yet. However, I did notice some of your problems here that also applies to your fight with Puff. You throw out smash attacks a bit too much. Palu's smashes have pretty bad endlags to them, so you might want to use them only when you really think you can land the hit. Another thing you might want to be careful is using her reflect. While it is a good move to reflect projectiles, throwing it out too many times can make your attack pattern predictable. Just tone it down a bit and you should be fine. The same thing applies to your rolling. It is a great move for escaping pressure, but using it too many times will make your escape patterns predictable. Sometimes, it is better to just stay in shield, jump away, or dash away.

Anyways, it's great to see someone pick up this character! I hope you continue to develop your Palutena, cuz it's got potential for sure. She'll definitely do well alongside your Puff.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Good fights with Palutena!

One thing I would say is to be careful of your tilt placements. I noticed in your fight against Peach you were being pretty aggressive with the Up Tilts. The lingering hitbox is great if you can read the opponent but throwing them out carelessly can get you punished. Try and stick more to your Jabs, Grabs and other spacing tools.

Remember to let your opponent come to you more than you come to them. Use projectiles/ f-air to force your opponent into approaching the way you want them to and then punish them appropriately.

Top Bottom