• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recent Yoshi revelations

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Just some stuff that's been in my head recently and I had a need to write down :p

1. Aggressive Yoshi is amazingly fun to play as.
And for me personally I do a lot better if I keep the pressure on. A thing I've noticed is that Yoshi is amazing in shield pressure. DJC nair to jab to repeat if they don't roll (which you can easily chase with a grab, since the dashgrab is pretty quick in startup) is really fast and will shieldstab pretty quickly after repeated use or even shieldbreak.

2. Uptilt has many uses.
*Uptilt to jab resets on early %'s on fastfallers isn't uncommon and a devastating combo starter (think downthrow or charge dsmash near edge).
*Uptilt beats out most aerial approaches by Captain Falcon.
*Uptilt is hard to DI and because of that a lot of the time it leads to DJC'd upairs (to signature Yoshi combo, see other thread xD).
*After an attack on shield where you land behind their shield most will jump out of shield to dair (a bit char dependant, mostly regarding falcon and ganon), uptilt is an amazing followup in this case.

3. Weak nair has some uses
*Edgeguarding illusion with follow up dropzone/dsmash/edgehog/egg.
*Can be stringed into a combo followed by a strong nair.

4. Fox Mccloud is Yoshi's best teampartner.
Yoshi isn't someone for the frontline, Fox fits this role best. You can be a decent stocksaver/support char (with insane combo's :D).

5. Egg lay on Yoshi's Story catches spacies off guard more often than not.
Jump off stage turn around egglay is very lethal on fastfallers with the surprise factor and the small stage factor.

6. Pivot fsmash is beast.
Uses are endless, empty shorthop to this, spaced fair on shield to this, a move that's both defensive and offensive that can hardly be punished.

Last but not least:
7. Moonwalk to dash to turnaround animation to DJC turnaround waveland is the most confusing movement in the game. :D

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I love playing as yoshi aggressively, but I can't do the DJC right like I will face forward and I DJC to bair on them or I SHFFL something, good I guess but It's funky. I hope you start some stuff with yoshi

Shiri

Smash Chump
*After an attack on shield where you land behind their shield most will jump out of shield to dair (a bit char dependant, mostly regarding falcon and ganon), uptilt is an amazing followup in this case.
:yoshi: I will cosign to this for as long as this game exists; this tactic is really good.

3. Weak nair has some uses
*Edgeguarding illusion with follow up dropzone/dsmash/edgehog/egg.
*Can be stringed into a combo followed by a strong nair.
Yeah, for edgeguarding, even strong neutral air is good if you have time to turn Yoshi around. The hitbox behind him is pretty significant and spares no strength of the attack regardless of its position.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Yeah, for edgeguarding, even strong neutral air is good if you have time to turn Yoshi around. The hitbox behind him is pretty significant and spares no strength of the attack regardless of its position.
I meant for letting it hang out there for a bit, as I find the timing on hitting spacies out of their illusion pretty tricky and you need good reflexes as well. There are many options really for edgeguarding and I havent found one solid one yet. Egg's trajectory is pretty good if they still have a double jump, but sometimes I just follow them from above with a nair. Another option is of course to bait a sweetspot and last minute hog it.

I totally forgot btw in this post about down-b. Apart from using it to grab the edge, Ive actually began using it as a combo finisher. I wouldnt suggest using it when the opponent isnt in the air or on a platform, as well as using it yourself in the air (unless you're pretty high up there and you're opponent is coming up to follow you with an upair). But for say predicting and punishnig a getup from the edge its pretty amazing, as well as pressuring someone's shield on a platform with djc upairs and then down b when you think theyre gonna jump/roll/stuff.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
*Uptilt beats out most aerial approaches by Captain Falcon.
This. Can't count the times this has saved me.

How about ftilts? I can't recall, but i dont think the down ftilt can be cc'd? Anyways, I think it wd -> ftilt has potential for covering ground and starting up combos.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It can be CC'd. Forward tilt just naturally has high vertical knockback, so it's not CCable for long.

Velox

Smash Ace
I watched some Yoshis play on here recently and they didn't punish SHFFLs out of sheilds enough with u-tilt like you said, and I think yours was one of these Yoshi's, so hopefully you do it more now. Against pros they will purposely full hop instead of short hop out of shield in these situations though (in which case I'd land around their shield either in front of the grab range or behind shield and immediately fullhop into a n-air). Like everything, just depends on the players you're playing against. And at a high enough level everything in the game is like tech-chasing guesswork as far as what people will do..

But against Falcon in particular much of the secret to the match is just tilting or smashing (you'd be surprised what aerials you can backwards u-smash through) through his n-air approaches, etc.

Pivots (pivoting every move, not just smashes/grabs) are the greatest technique not used in pro tournaments and will likely be on of the great advancement in high level play in the near future. I'm on of the few (if not only) players that actually centers his game around pivots, but unfortunately I'm a naturally bad player or I'd have ***** the tourney seen long ago..

Ace55

Smash Lord
Lol, tell me about it.

Last but not least:
7. Moonwalk to dash to turnaround animation to DJC turnaround waveland is the most confusing movement in the game. :D
This!:laugh:

I really need to play you again some time.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
1. Aggressive Yoshi is amazingly fun to play as.
And for me personally I do a lot better if I keep the pressure on. A thing I've noticed is that Yoshi is amazing in shield pressure. DJC nair to jab to repeat if they don't roll (which you can easily chase with a grab, since the dashgrab is pretty quick in startup) is really fast and will shieldstab pretty quickly after repeated use or even shieldbreak.
Yoshi pretty much has to be aggressive because his shield sucks.

Also - yes, jab is amazing as shield pressure.

Top Bottom