• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recent Tournament Matches

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
This time, the matches I played were on youtube, so they shouldn't be taken down before very many people view them. I feel very slow on average, with bursts of speed. Any other critiques are welcome. Until my neutral game gets better, I will not be playing Ness against Sheik. (Yes, I was a wimp and went Jiggs against Sheik. I should've gone Fox. I did later, but it was after a game 1 loss on Jiggs.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdK3PC7v7II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Xu12OFRog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFVy0_Jb5Vw

This was a school tournament. The Peach match was not against a player that knows advanced techs very well. I've been teaching him stuff since the beginning of the semester. The other players (as far as I know) have practiced for tournament play.

Unfortunately, I don't have any matches against the top players at the tournament, but I got destroyed by Metroid and played fairly well against CookieMonsta.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I will be analyzing the match against Sheik because they seemed to play the best out of the three.

0:30 - You could have made it back if you tried. Don't go for the extra thunder damage unless you're way out of range.
0:44 - Nice combo conversion
1:03 - This is exactly why Ness mains need to learn to sweetspot recovery. It's difficult and risky, but super important.
1:30 - PogChamp. Man you almost had a really good combo going there. Remember to wait it out and react to the platform tech. I love the grab out of Fair thing.
2:05 - Nice, got at least 1 sweetspot in.
~2:30-ish - You're whiffing a lot of lazy Dairs. Try to FF those.
Also, I notice you're not taking advantage of Ness' SH DJC tech. All I see is a lot of full hops.
4:00 - That isn't Ness... Kappa

Overall I think you just need to work on your movement.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. My movement is pretty sub-par overall. In terms of sweetspotting...it was really really bad. I had stopped practicing it as much because I've been focusing on movement. In terms of the full hops, I feel like a lot of Ness' SH DJC stuff is really just beaten by "walk forward and ftilt" on Sheik.

As for the dairs...I just kinda decided that day that they were really good. I haven't practiced spacing on my dairs that much and haven't played many people here at school that challenge me due to them not being on smashboards and being new overall. It is mostly a factor of laziness, not staying up to speed, or inexperience. Thank you for the advice. I tend to get impatient against Sheik because Sheik lol.

dan smith

Smash Champion
to me it's all about spacing. you gotta know the right spacing against your opponent and keep things optimal for ness range. nothing wrong with spamming fair. your recovery is very predictable and abusable. you should actually be a little bit less hasty about recovery, you can stall out a bit in the air. the main thing you need to work on is just djc tho. you only really take advantage of djc maybe 30% of the time. if you hit somebody with a fair you need to djc into something else. if you want to approach you need to try and juke with djc unless you are just putting on steady pressure. you can do stuff like fair against a sheild, crossover behind them, and then bair when they drop the shield. or bair against a shield and then swing back for a bair when they drop their shield. or come down from above, djc juke, and then ff dair when they are lagging. @46s in the shiek video you do a good job of following up. in genereal you often just sort of fall right where shiek wants you. imo you should practice just spamming fairs and spacing. wavedash forward, fair, djc fair, wavedash back, wavedash back, fair, djc fair. you can make a wall of sparkles and pester them. you can djc defensively. if they try and break the wall you juke their attack and start linking things together. if they try and fall back just chase them. waveland. spotdodge. bat. uair. that's how i play.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I am not at all confident in the Sheik matchup. I don't really get to play against people of equal skill level often here at school (since the scene is really small; I'm trying). I have been attempting to continually get faster, but I hadn't played enough Ness before the tournament probably. I will definitely work hard and do my best.

Top Bottom