• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really FRUSTRATED with MEGAMAN! Help me? PLEASE!

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Hello all. I hope this belongs here, if not I am sorry.

Okay, so in FG - I am not a pro player but I got the basics down - maybe intermediate, whatever. Anyway, I use Peach and Dr. Mario primarily. If my opponent is GOOD and uses Megaman and/or Sonic, I am dead, dead, dead, dead, dead and very salty, to the point of throwing the 3DS and stomping on it. I am really frustrated because nothing I do works. NOTHING.
I am not a sore loser by any means, but usually after I lose a match, I recognize my mistakes and able to win next match. Not the case with Megaman.

When I use Peach against Megaman, I make use of my turnips, I use tilt moves and only Smash when there is a clear opening (which is almost never) - meanwhile, Megaman is throwing projectiles like crazy and shooting his mega buster while I am flinching like I am having a seizure. I know to close the distance, and I try to but between the mega buster, grabbing, and other stuff I am already 150 percent by then. Is it just a bad match up period with Peach? I feel that she is too slow to keep up with the projectiles (maybe it is just my playstyle). Can Peach beat a good Megaman with good defense, good offense, just overall solid play?

With Dr. Mario, I make use of my reflector sheet, that kinda works but only for so long. I use Dr. Tornado to get in and use my tilt moves/grab but overall, I lose the match. I think the doc is a good match up for Megaman because he is a bit faster and it is easier for me to close the distance rather safely, but I still end up losing...not to mention, Dr.'s recovery to get back on stage isn't the best.

Someone please help me. I never have fun in these matches!

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
try the MU with another character. pick up someone that can outcamp.
otherwise just be really really patient. you can float over some of his stuff and turnips probably clash with his projectiles.
if you just avoid most of his projectiles you eliminate a huge chunk of his damage output.

also, ask about this in the peach boards.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
If you're looking for another character to challenge those MUs, here's at least 2 to get you started:

VS :4megaman:, you could try :4duckhunt:, because Gunmen, Cans, and Clays can ward off a bunch of his shots (including a fully charged Mega Buster!), so you can "get in" on your terms, especially if any of your projectiles are still active when you get there (particularly Can if you forward shorthop travel with it). Just be wary of Metal Blade and Leaf Shield, because they'll rip through everything DH has. If you get a walled Omega stage like Wii Fit Studio or Nintendogs, use his wall-jump to recover whenever needed (especially from deep edgeguards!), since he has one for some reason (probably for compensating his Up 2, Duck Jump Snag?). :p It can help you dodge :4pacman:'s Hydrants, :4megaman:'s Metal Blades & Hard Knuckles, and :4greninja:'s DAir if they don't know about it. XP However, MM has a wall-jump as well, so if you're at that kind of Omega stage, get ready for him to go out farther than usual for the edgeguard.

If you're caught as DH when :4sonic: shows up and its in 1v1 (and thus, no other players to help you out), I hate to say this, but.... *Whistles loudly* You're in for possibly one of the roughest MUs around, this side of Q VS Makoto as Q in Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike. Especially since in FG, you won't be able to run 3223 or 3222 against Sonic, who probably would be running 1313 or 1213 depending on location (which you also don't have in FG). Shorthop aerials (FAir and BAir in particular) will be your best friends, due to their speed (not NAir fast, though. You'll need NAir as well to try to break out of Sonic's juggles when airdodging starts failing), great disjointed range, & damage output when tipper'd with the Duck's beak. Try his 4-frame Jab strings or your 6-frame DTilt on the ground when he's close. You'll also need Clays to rack up damage when you catch him whiffing anything somewhat away from you. Do note that if you're at a walled Omega stage, he'll go farther than usual for the edgeguard, since he has a wall-jump as well.
I earnestly do not expect to win this MU as DH often outside of FG Teams and FFA, due to the lack of extra players that can help out (including Sonic's partner in FG Teams by being another target for DH to focus on for over 50% of the match instead, who hopefully is someone like :4charizard:, :4robinm:, or :4samus:, and not someone like :rosalina:, :4darkpit:, or another :4sonic:). If you suspect that a Sonic player's still in the room and you want to stick around, yet you don't want to grind out the DH VS Sonic MU, you COULD try....

:4bowserjr:! He can Jump Cancel his Side B on the ground or in the air, which makes him a pseudo Sonic (Ex. At 0%, Side B --> JC --> DAir --> Shorthop FAir --> Jab string [juggle ends here] or DTilt (juggle may end here, unless the 3rd hit misses, in which case you can go for another SH FAir --> anything) or UTilt x? --> UAir x?), except with more weight, numerous disjointed A button attacks (with FAir, BAir, NAir, FTilt & DTilt being the most notable ones), incredible edgeguarding abilities (especially with Side B Jump Cancels, letting you compete with Sonic's edgeguarding abilities), and Mechakoopas that can challenge his spin dashes. Do try to maintain the high ground against him to take advantage of the Car's extra defense it offers (including limited super armor during Side B, which lets you ram through reflected Mechakoopas!), because :4lemmy:'s squishy head has less defense than everyone else's to compensate for that. Thus, you'll likely be in the air very often, since you also move faster there as well when not Side B-ing, and try not to get headshotted if you can help it.

If you're caught as :4iggy: when :4megaman: shows up, unlike DH VS Sonic, Jr VS MM is nowhere as hard to win as Jr. Side B Jump Cancels (into aerials like FAir & NAir), Mechakoopas, DTilts, and even Cannonballs will be KEY to getting in on MM. Metal Blade and Leaf Shield, again, will be the projectiles to anticipate, since they'll reliably challenge Mechas and Cannonballs (stops MB, at least). Once you get in, Side B --> JC --> aerials will rack up big damage, and Side B --> Up B --> A (Hammer) will KO at around 100%.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I suggest going to the Peach and Dr. Mario boards and asking there about the Mega Man matchup. Peach's QA thread is this: http://smashboards.com/threads/ask-the-princess-peach-faq-and-q-a.387125/ and Dr. Mario's is this: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-clinic-dr-mario-q-a-thread.383510/unread.

Alternatively, you could ask in the Mega Man board about Mega Man's weaknesses: http://smashboards.com/threads/cons...estion-answer-thread-check-here.369339/unread. Just don't rant about him or anything unpleasant.

Also, bear in mind that since you're playing online, there's input lag and no matter how "smooth" the game feels, input lag is there and it will skew your timing which is why Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Link, Toon Link, Villager, and other characters can get away with really fast attacks or really annoying projectiles while characters like Marth, Falco, Sheik, and other characters feel sluggish or difficult to use because their precision is affected by input lag.

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
LOL, If I post "HOW DO I BEAT MEGAMAN?!" in the Megaman thread full of Megaman mains would I really get a helpful answer? lol ;D

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
LOL, If I post "HOW DO I BEAT MEGAMAN?!" in the Megaman thread full of Megaman mains would I really get a helpful answer? lol ;D
Not really as that's a broad question. Ask something like, "How do I deal with Mega Man's pellet/lemon game?", or "How do I punish Mega Man using to many Metal Saws?" Stuff like that will let them answer in a general way and from their point of view while asking in Peach boards would let you get an answer from their point of view.

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Not really as that's a broad question. Ask something like, "How do I deal with Mega Man's pellet/lemon game?", or "How do I punish Mega Man using to many Metal Saws?" Stuff like that will let them answer in a general way and from their point of view while asking in Peach boards would let you get an answer from their point of view.
My question was more of a joke. lol Y'know, it would be ironic that Megaman users would tell me their...closest secrets to their main's weakness...lol K, never mind, my sense is humor is lame. Thank you, Ffamran.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
My question was more of a joke. lol Y'know, it would be ironic that Megaman users would tell me their...closest secrets to their main's weakness...lol K, never mind, my sense is humor is lame. Thank you, Ffamran.
you really should ask specifically about wat set up you're having trouble with. like there's end lag to megaman's moves, and if you just wait for that, it's very punishable. peach floating, then waiting for mega to come in, then weave, and punish is very strong. well, you should try picking up habits. there are player habits, then there are charachter habits. i have no problem telling you what beats megaman, like a really good peach player in FG was weaving all i do, and perfect shielding all my approaches, then punish, mostly they were spot dodging my approach, then spamming down smash. down smash comes out annoyingly fast and knocks me back. so meh.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
One thing worth noting is that Pellets are actually quite low priority due to their low damage. If you can get a good forward moving hitbox going then you can plow through the pellets and hit Mega Man. A strong dash attack (peach has a good dash attack right?) will plow through pellets and will catch a metal blade on the way if it is thrown. Floating dair also works pretty well since it cancels out pellets as you move forward.

If you are looking for a character that is good against Mega Man, I personally have a lot of difficulty with Yoshi players.

The worst thing you can do against Mega Man is get impatient and/or frustrated. Be patient and wait for the right opening. You are going to take damage little by little in any match up against Mega Man but his damage output is low for a good reason. When you finally get in and punish him, make it count.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
It's not like we're all part of some secret society of Mega Men who know the secret to an unavoidable victory against us and guarding it with armed guards, you want some match up advice we'll give you some match up advice.

Mega Man's moves are all really laggy, especially the pellet salvo. Peach has a really fast nair, if you block an attack from Mega Man, an OOS nair is a guaranteed punish. Against some of the laggier moves, like fair and every single smash, an OOS ground-float fair will still punish. If you get the chance to pull a stitchface, wait for Mega Man to have a blade in hand before throwing it, he won't be able to catch it and use it against you. If he does leaf shield, you can do a jump-in toad and he can't avoid hitting it. If you get crash bombed, count to three then use toad. He'll absorb the blast, and you'll avoid most of Mega Man's bomb follow ups with the spray.

With Dr. Mario, I dunno, cape some stuff and dunk a lot.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Here's a recent vid of my friend beating me with Peach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZUeQwUaA40

For approaching, run in with your shield. Spacing is important and chase whenever you can. Use any platforms for protection. Floating at the right time and height seems important, as always.

Top Bottom