• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really enjoying the new Samus

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
So I'm a long time lurker, never been a competitive player in brawl/melee/projectM but I've kept my eye on the scene and I maintain I'm a decent if not quite good Samus, simply not pro. I didn't play the 3DS version because I'm a control freak, without my proper controller, forget it.

What's clear is "a lot has changed" and the new edge rules are a massive nerf to high level skilled Samus play.
That box over the lower side of the stage that used to be the playground is not nearly as dangerous as it used to be for our opponents - and in fact is often dangerous for Samus because of changes in fall (fast) rates, and the lack of ledge re-grab invincibility. The timing and positioning of the d-air likewise, more taxing and more precise. I think it is that she fast falls faster, I'm simply unable to play the same game I used to (I think I'm not alone). The up-b I feel does not go as high as it used to relative to say Brawl, some strange combination of fall rate, up-b, d-air timings and distances, invincibility frames, has me losing my off stage edge.
However the kill power and the relative strengths and overall priority have shot up, way up in some cases and her overall damage output is really quite respectable. I absolutely love super-missle -> charge shot shield break, that is golden on aggression. You pull it once in a match and people actually start to tiptoe around your mid-close range, it feels great to have that kind of holy #$% ouch! Do not repeat! power. The super-missile point blank is actually quite good priority, I've been surprised how many times I'm thinking "@#%! Oh wait, wtf that totally stopped them..." I don't know for sure but I think her hurtbox shrinks and the hitbox is quite a bit bigger than before. It used to be insane to even attempt. The off-stage f-air is actually a major threat now, landing just one in the 80s can kill a big swath of the cast. It's clearly a different game, overall first impressions is I think Samus is a different beast but definitely not junk requiring a new style of play and a new generation of players, or old dogs willing to learn new tricks.

If someone has it, I would really appreciate frame data, and fall (fast fall) data. Anyone? Or are we all smashing our hearts out? :p

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
I'm glad you're enjoying Samus. Sadly she's being considered a Low Tier so far without mentioning that almost everybody from this same forum don't seem to have a big interest in her. Yet she's a great character who just need to be understood with her new movesets. People often try using her as they did in previous versions, yet it's good to understand that this is a whole new Samus, capable of different things and for that same reason we must renew our gaming style. I'm seen some pretty good japanese players using Samus, I'm pretty sure they're doing their homework right.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
I'm Really enjoying her as well.The wii U version of the game is really changing my mind of her being as bad as i initially thought. With The 3ds version I was afraid to dash dance,Bait,and Just be in total control of her (out of fear of the flimsy cS breaking)but now I see how good she truly can be. Shes not top tier Imo but shes definitely loads better on the Wii u (most of the cast is). Also her getting missile lag buff also was much needed.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I'm quite liking her new-found kill power and decent speed. Perhaps my only true gripe is her unreliable jab combo. Really you just need to hit with the first and then follow with a tilt if possible, retreat, or if the opponent thinks you're gonna follow up with the second hit and shields, grab them. Still, her Screw Attack is finally quite strong (it's her insta-death attack on most enemies in the Metroid games, so it should be strong), her Super Missiles have decent enough power to knock enemies away enough for breathing room and charging your beam, and I actually quite like her new Nair.

I do miss the old Nair as it was easier to drop on enemies with, but this one is nice for chasing someone off stage with, it's quick, and, unlike Brawl, has kill power again. I think her down tilt could be a little quicker, but oh well. Her Grapple Beam is great, and there's still a few tricks I liked in Brawl that I can still do here. No more missile cancel hurts, but I think I can still manage. All in all, I still love her and find her fun to play as!

Top Bottom