• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really confused by snake's past...

4urentertainment

Smash Cadet
I would be grateful if someone completely explained the whole story of metal gear, without spoiling MGS2 sons of liberty. What's confusing me is how come big boss (who is naked snake right?) A bad guy in some games and in others the greatest soldier, and what's with FOXHOUND and that other thing and outer heaven? I am really confused as i have only played MGS3 snake eater and am playing MGS2 sons of liberty, so, someone explain...

UltimaXtreme

Smash Journeyman
timelime goes like this, from earliest to latest:

MGS3
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

you completely skipped MGS1, which is between the two timelines, and the relevant connection between the two games.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
SPOILERS OF EVERY MGS GAME EXCEPT MGS2 FOLLOW**********

in chronological order

MGS3: Inexperienced soldier Naked Snake and his group the FOX unit gets involved in a bunch of bull**** that makes everything think he's the greatest soldier of all time., earning him the title Big Boss.

MGS:pO: Fox unit breaks their allegiance to CIA, and Big Boss is accused of treason as a result. anyway, Big Boss defeats the rebels, and establishes FOXHOUND.

MG: Big Boss starts working on a new bipedal nuke launcher called Metal Gear in a nation he established called Outer Heaven. In order to keep the US government in the dark, he pretends as if he is the one investigating Outer Heaven, by sending in the most inexperienced person in his squad, Solid Snake. However, he underestimated Snake, who finds out about the whole plan and destroys metal gear

MG2: Big Boss escaped in the last game, only to establish a new nation called Zanzibar Land and try the same **** again. Only this time, Snake's good friend Grey Fox is helping him. Snake against foils their plans but this time finishes the deal, killing Big Boss and his friend Grey Fox. Snake says **** this ****. I quit.

MGS: Alas, Snake is called out of retirement. Big Boss's old group FOXHOUND, (because of Liquid Snake) out of nowhere revolts against the US and threatens to launch a nuke. They don't tell him that they have a new Metal Gear but Snake quickly realizes tihs. he defeats FOXHOUND and learns that the main purpose of his mission was to kill off people the US Government found threatening through the use of FOXDIE some kind of **** in Snakes body that kills certain people he comes into contact with. it is also designed to kill snake himself, but Naomi Campbell who originally had it out for Snake because he killed Gray Fox, her brother, feels sorry for Snake and reprograms FoxDie. we also learn that liquid and solid snake are clones of Big Boss in an attempt by the US Government to make a duplicate of what they considered the "perfect soldier". Liquid says that Snake got all the good genes while he got all the bad one. But we learn that in fact both of them got recessive genes and that there was a third brother, Solidus Snake (who was the President of the United States at the time) who got the dominant genes. Roy Campbell the commanding officer declares that Snake has been killed, to stop the Government from looking for him.

MGS2: Snake and otacon break their ties with the government and start their own group to investigate a new Metal Gear that supposed to be superr bad ***. I won't say much since you said not to spoil it, but i will say that it raises tons of questions, some of which MGS3 answered, and the rest which we hope to have answered in MGS4

adiabatic

Smash Rookie
another thing to note is that the ending of mgs2 is very very weird so I don't think you can take much at all from mgs2's ending.

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
so how come heres there in MGS3? and portable ops? And shouldnt the one in MGS4 be Naked snake because he has the eye patch? or did solid get one too?[/QUOTE]

MGS3 and Portable Ops take place in the late 60s and early 70s. Later in 1999 Solid Snake faces Big Boss one final time and kills him. This is in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Big Boss is dead in relation to the timeline of the series.

MGS3 (Naked Snake becomes Big Boss)
MGS:pO (Big Boss gets the idea for Outer Heaven and is eventually cloned later to create Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake)
MG (Snake faces Big Boss in Outer Heaven and presumably kills him)
MG2:SS (Big Boss dies)
MGS (Solid Snake meets Liquid his clone twin brother)
MGS2:SoL (Spoilers that I won't mention)
MGS4:GotP (Snake is now older looking thanks to his deterioration from FOXDIE)

4urentertainment

Smash Cadet
so how come heres there in MGS3? and portable ops? And shouldnt the one in MGS4 be Naked snake because he has the eye patch? or did solid get one too?
MGS3 and Portable Ops take place in the late 60s and early 70s. Later in 1999 Solid Snake faces Big Boss one final time and kills him. This is in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Big Boss is dead in relation to the timeline of the series.

MGS3 (Naked Snake becomes Big Boss)
MGS:pO (Big Boss gets the idea for Outer Heaven and is eventually cloned later to create Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake)
MG (Snake faces Big Boss in Outer Heaven and presumably kills him)
MG2:SS (Big Boss dies)
MGS (Solid Snake meets Liquid his clone twin brother)
MGS2:SoL (Spoilers that I won't mention)
MGS4:GotP (Snake is now older looking thanks to his deterioration from FOXDIE)[/QUOTE]

thnx, this answers alot of questions, except one thing, how did solid get the eye patch? and in what game? If its in MGS2, SoL. Then its ok u dont have to say it.

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
He doesn't have an eyepatch in 4 its actually an Otacon invention called the Solid Eye. It replaces his binoculars, thermo goggles, and night vision.

Top Bottom