• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Real talk

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If we use
when the Wii U version comes out, SHOULD the lag be better or not exist? I have awesome internet connection, but I still lag/freeze online in Smash 3DS. When I play Mario Kart 8 online on Wii U through this adapter I feel like I have no lag and it runs perfectly.

Last edited:

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Well since that thing's purpose it to make the connection better bc wired is more stable than wireless, there will be little to no lag, pretty much the same as MK8. 3DS Smash is exclusively wireless so it'll always be worse compared to the Wii U version with that adapter.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I've heard people saying that there are like, Smash Bros servers? So it will remain the same? I don't know too much about that.

wmo_

Smash Cadet
Maybe, but unlikely. You can ping your router if you want to check what wireless latency you're dealing with. For example at home, I'm close to my router so if I ping it from my laptop, it's about 1ms. Basically almost the same as LAN. The LAN adapter helps because it keeps you away from other wireless network traffic, and prevents any other issues (interference, etc). Also some routers just suck with wireless, so having a LAN connection just means more stability.

I'm planning on purchasing the adapter, but I know it won't make any difference in terms of online. Why? Because it takes 1ms for my packet to get to my router through wifi, meaning if I compared results to my lan adapter it would be the same.

MK8 runs better because it's probably handled differently, Smash is Peer-to-peer so the reason you can have laggy matches is because they can be lagging, they could be very far away from you distance wise, or they have someone downloading on their connection.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am sorry, but if your matches always lag, then you don't really have an awesome connection. Last time I had laggy matches frequently was around October, when everyone was trying to play online at the same time. Since then, lag free matches are the norm, with laggy matches occurring here and there, with a very low frequency, fortunately. I guess it will be even better with the Wii U version.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
>tfw with anyone matches have better connection than with friend matches

G_Shaw22

Smash Rookie
NNID
G_Shaw22
3DS FC
0104-1470-8406
Well since that thing's purpose it to make the connection better bc wired is more stable than wireless, there will be little to no lag, pretty much the same as MK8. 3DS Smash is exclusively wireless so it'll always be worse compared to the Wii U version with that adapter.
This. As long as connection speed is decent (...mbps) and the LAN adapter is used there should be little to no lag, as long as most people use them.

Nice Icon btw.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Doesn't Smash 3DS use a peer to-peer connection? If so, you could have Google fiber and you'll still experience lag when your opponent is playing on a hamster-powered modem. The game's connection would only be as solid as the least stable person playing.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't Smash 3DS use a peer to-peer connection? If so, you could have Google fiber and you'll still experience lag when your opponent is playing on a hamster-powered modem. The game's connection would only be as solid as the least stable person playing.
Pretty much this. The adapter will just help to ensure that that person is not you - so you've increased the chance of having a good match by a bit.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Pretty much this. The adapter will just help to ensure that that person is not you - so you've increased the chance of having a good match by a bit.
Yes, thank you for clarifying this.

If you're able to connect to other players online but ARE experiencing network issues in the majority of your games, there's a chance that the culprit is packet loss (which is usually much more common over WIFI,) and a wired connection may help you.

If your situation looks like the OP's, where you can play other games online without any issues, chances are this won't help you significantly.

Top Bottom