• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Real quick point to all those saying DLC is impossible.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Videogamer.com

The Xbox 360 has opened the gates to premium game content (Oblivion and GRAW are prime examples), and the PlayStation 3 is already confirmed to be following the same path. The Wii on the other hand, being the shining light that encompasses the gaming ideal, surely won't succumb to micro-transaction peer pressure - wrong.

Speaking to Game Informer magazine, Fils-Aime said: "If our licensee partners want to go in that direction [premium downloadable content], it's certainly possible in our system." Fils-Aime also took the opportunity to reaffirm Nintendo's plans for downloadable content. "If you've gotten to a particular part in a game, we could push content out to you, so you get to battle a new boss," he said. "Maybe you get a new artefact; maybe you get a new weapon."

http://www.videogamer.com/wii/super_smash_bros_brawl/news-3050.html

So it is not entirely impossible to do it, heck the whole one custom stage a day practically IS a DLC-esque type system. Plus as much as we hate them (I really do) there is always the ever "fun" SD cards, so storage is not a total issue; also, just like Pokemon Battle Revolution was Nintendo's first jump into the realm of online play. Brawl may be Nintendo's first jump into DLC, do not count them out, if this game turns out to be the last in the series, (which it could) they would probably want to start perfecting this soon. Plus think about it, Nintendo has not had a good game to really jump into this realm with, I would say that Mario Kart and/or Brawl are the best ones to try there hand with it on. So I say let us wait till the GDC conference or a few months after it is released in Europe, just give it some time before we start counting it off.

Another quick point, this interview was written back in June of 2006! So maybe they had all of this with Brawl in mind.

Now we still have to take what Reggie says with a grain of salt, but these tend to be one of those things you really do not mix up or lie about, and now that Mario Kart Wii will have some sort of downloadable kart swap out thingamajig. It MIGHT MIGHT bode well for Brawl, we shall see...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I am not saying it will happen or that it is even a neccessity, I am just saying that since June of 2006 Nintendo has been eyeing it, so Brawl would be the place to start.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I feel Brawl is going to be the start, but I think Friday will decide that if it's announced at the Brawl character conference at GDC or not. DLC is the only thing that comes to mind why Sakurai would hold pack on a lot of other potential characters. Either that or waisting to much time on single player mode and waiting till the last minute on characters,

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i'm crossing my fingers that sakurai will say something about it at his conferance or whatever it is

Chepe

Smash Lord
Wolf being one of those last-minute characters... but yeah, Roy and Mewtwo are the only ones who went under serious development and thus would be the only ones to become DLC, and in Japan only probably. People should not hope for anything beyond that...

Zek

Smash Ace
Nobody who knows what they're talking about thinks DLC on the Wii is impossible, though it would have to be fairly small if Nintendo won't let it run straight off an SD card. It's just that it's extremely unlikely given that Nintendo has never so much as patched a game before outside the VC. It would be a pretty huge turnaround for them to suddenly start releasing new content.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Wolf being one of those last-minute characters... but yeah, Roy and Mewtwo are the only ones who went under serious development and thus would be the only ones to become DLC, and in Japan only probably. People should not hope for anything beyond that...
My feelings on this is, mid way though making these characters, they decided to pull them from the initial game, and make them into DLC characters, they went on to develope even more that weren't originally on the disk, then they added the rest of the vets and made some clones like the last min Wolf to fill up the initial Brawl roster.

Then they are going to surprise us later with the big announcement of more characters.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
That interview has been brought up many times... this did not need its own thread.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Brawl already did a first for the Wii in having a dual-layered disc did it not? So I would consider DLC the same deal: something that seems like they wouldnt do it, but knowing how ambitious the Brawl project is, it wouldnt be too surprising...

Top Bottom