• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Reads?

JK :^)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow2003
3DS FC
2036-7330-6750
Well hello! It's been around a year since I've played smash. So just coming back to it, I have a problem... Reads.

So reads have never been a strong suit for me, in fact, I never learned it at all. So I really need some help. I can keep some really good combos going for a long time with falcon, but only on CPUS that don't react to anything I do. Basically, I'm above average with falcon, but I only win 1 in every 10 games with some exceptions. I just don't know what to look out for. Should I be looking at the edge guard? Or maybe the defensive moves? It all just kinda blends in to each other and I get discouraged easily (Seriously, smash is the only game where I actually get salty about losing). Anyways, if anyone can help me out with this problem, I will consider you a hero...

TL;DR: I'm pretty good with combos, but horrible with reads. Help?

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
The way to learn to read is to start by slowing down. Most players (I'm guilty of this when I don't consciously focus on it) tend to play on autopilot, also reacting to the same situation in the same way. Literally slow your character down, and think about what your opponent's move will be and where you should position yourself to counter it. After you're good at this at slower speeds, you can up the pace more and more. Also, NEVER play against CPUs if you want to focus on reading your opponent; mindgames don't exist against the computer and they have extremely repetitive behaviour.

JK :^)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow2003
3DS FC
2036-7330-6750
The way to learn to read is to start by slowing down. Most players (I'm guilty of this when I don't consciously focus on it) tend to play on autopilot, also reacting to the same situation in the same way. Literally slow your character down, and think about what your opponent's move will be and where you should position yourself to counter it. After you're good at this at slower speeds, you can up the pace more and more. Also, NEVER play against CPUs if you want to focus on reading your opponent; mindgames don't exist against the computer and they have extremely repetitive behaviour.
So I was thinking about what you said while playing some for glory. And I see exactly everything your saying. I did notice the enemy becoming predictable when put in the same situations. So I would use dthrow to nair a lot, see how they react. Then do it again and punish them. It's really nice to get some easy stocks that way.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
So I was thinking about what you said while playing some for glory. And I see exactly everything your saying. I did notice the enemy becoming predictable when put in the same situations. So I would use dthrow to nair a lot, see how they react. Then do it again and punish them. It's really nice to get some easy stocks that way.
Exactly! And as you get better, you can apply that mentality to more and more situations. At top level play, a huge part of the game is about remaining as unpredictable as possible, and the mark of those titan players (ZeRo, Dabuz...) is that they can consistently get reads despite their opponents being very tricky and using tons of mixups. The only way to reach that level is from the ground up.

Top Bottom