• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaction to Pac-Man

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
That double ghost down smash.
I hope it changes between all 4 ghosts and perhaps each has its own damage+effect.
I figured the ghosts that got displayed would be random colors, but I didn't think about different effects. Probably won't happen though since they're cutting out random effects, like how Dedede doesn't toss random things now, just Gordos.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Also this may just be me, but I love his appearance and this is /exactly/ the look I was hoping to see.
It's so nostalgic all at the same time, this was the pacman that was placed into oh so many of my old ps2 games, oh and ridge racer. Plus it's the design that was riddled all over the arcades of my area.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What was your reaction to Pac-Man's inclusion?
Are they intentionally treating this like a leak?
Is this real?
Probably?
Not surprising.
Oh look a pic.
Whoa I cannot wait.
Are there going to be any Nintendo favorites joining this year?
Holy awesome this is actually not just a silly fan dream anymore.

Inky, Blinky, Pinky, Clyde.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I was initially irritated at the fact Pac-Man wasn't revealed at E3, where he should have been. I'm still kinda annoyed at that.

Outside of that, the trailer was great. Pac-Man is great.

D

Deleted member

He turned out much better than I thought. I didn't think he would be generic or anything, but I really didn't expect him to be the god of Namco arcade games. That's pretty cool. Went from indifferent to second most hype character behind Greninja, and seeing as how I'll be playong Greninja at Best Buy, Pac-man might actually be my most hype character.

Like many though, I was pissed about when he was revealed. I didn't even know till the next day be ause I go to bed so early! Mr. Game & Watch bothered me nore though. He's been my favorite since Melee, and using him just for trivia I already knew really bothered me. Pac-man's reactions to G Dub were funny though.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My reaction was surprisingly indifferent. I should be excited, but I find that I'm... not, really. I can't really place why.

I was hoping he'd get in, and I'm glad he's in, but after seeing him in motion, I really just feel unimpressed and uninspired. Nothing about his inclusion makes me think, "Yeah, I totally wanna play as him."

Could be proven wrong, though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
My reaction was surprisingly indifferent. I should be excited, but I find that I'm... not, really. I can't really place why.

I was hoping he'd get in, and I'm glad he's in, but after seeing him in motion, I really just feel unimpressed and uninspired. Nothing about his inclusion makes me think, "Yeah, I totally wanna play as him."

Could be proven wrong, though.
I'm sorry about that. Was it the secretive nature of the reveal, maybe?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm sorry about that. Was it the secretive nature of the reveal, maybe?
I don't think so, but perhaps. It may also have to do with the fact that my Pac-Man nostalgia doesn't really stem from the Pac-Man World games after which his design is modeled. His moves didn't seem that fantastic either. He's just summoning Namco-related things. When Snake, Sonic and Mega Man were shown, they had movesets that reflected exactly who they were in their games; by comparison, Pac-Man seems like a hodge podge.

But I don't mean to sound negative. This is a thread in the Pac-Man forum, after all. I was just hoping to be more excited about him than I feel I am right now.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think so, but perhaps. It may also have to do with the fact that my Pac-Man nostalgia doesn't really stem from the Pac-Man World games after which his design is modeled. His moves didn't seem that fantastic either. He's just summoning Namco-related things. When Snake, Sonic and Mega Man were shown, they had movesets that reflected exactly who they were in their games; by comparison, Pac-Man seems like a hodge podge.

But I don't mean to sound negative. This is a thread in the Pac-Man forum, after all. I was just hoping to be more excited about him than I feel I am right now.
Where's your nostalgia from? I'm genuinely curious.

In my opinion, it works well for Pac-Man because he is the overarching mascot of Namco. More so than Mario is to Nintendo, honestly. Pac-Man very commonly interacts with items from other Namco universes in order to make the rest of Namco's titles feel familiar and opening to people who've played Pac-Man's games. It's not uncommon for him to eat a galaxian or fight a Pooka, and I think they just took that to the next level for this. I understand why that might not work for everyone, though.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I keep seeing people say that Pac-Man is a plethora of Namco references for all his moves, but if you look at it, only three of his moves actually seem to reference Namco games. His up B, his grab, and his standard B if you have the right set equipped (and even that's up for debate. The Namco items he presented could just be a taunt). Otherwise everything else he has is all Pac-Man related.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Where's your nostalgia from? I'm genuinely curious.
Arcades. Where I grew up, we had an arcade in the mall and my friend and I would constantly compete on Ms. Pac-Man. Then, when I got a job at 15, we had a little arcade cabinet that had roughly 20 old arcade games, and Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and Galaga were what I constantly played before and after work. I got pretty damn good at the game.

Plus I watched that horrible cartoon when I was little. That was fun. And I played Pac-Man 2 on my SNES. But I lost interest when he started going 3D. I think I played a Pac-World game of some sort on my Gamecube and hated it, but I can't remember it clearly.

It's mainly for the mascot nostalgia, I guess. But I didn't get the same feeling from his video as I did from the other non-Nintendo newcomers. Again, I just can't place why.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I keep seeing people say that Pac-Man is a plethora of Namco references for all his moves, but if you look at it, only three of his moves actually seem to reference Namco games. His up B, his grab, and his standard B if you have the right set equipped (and even that's up for debate. The Namco items he presented could just be a taunt). Otherwise everything else he has is all Pac-Man related.
Honestly, I'm more upset by the ghosts. it's a little bit out of character using them like that.

Arcades. Where I grew up, we had an arcade in the mall and my friend and I would constantly compete on Ms. Pac-Man. Then, when I got a job at 15, we had a little arcade cabinet that had roughly 20 old arcade games, and Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and Galaga were what I constantly played before and after work. I got pretty damn good at the game.

Plus I watched that horrible cartoon when I was little. That was fun. And I played Pac-Man 2 on my SNES. But I lost interest when he started going 3D. I think I played a Pac-World game of some sort on my Gamecube and hated it, but I can't remember it clearly.

It's mainly for the mascot nostalgia, I guess. But I didn't get the same feeling from his video as I did from the other non-Nintendo newcomers. Again, I just can't place why.
I watched that cartoon too, believe it or now, but it wasn't what got me into Pac-Man. Adventures in Time held that honor, and that had this design.

Well, I hope you like him when you try him out, at least.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's hard for me to not accept the usage of Namco-related props, because more than rev rolling or butt-bouncing, Pac-Man is portrayed interacting with various Namco iconography. His ability to summon them in battle and appropriate their powers for his own use is only the slightest stretch of his already established abilities and characterization. It's the sort of moveset I actually predicted Sakurai and Namco to go with, so it didn't take me by surprise.

I actually agree with @ staindgrey staindgrey in that nothing in particular about Pac-Man's moveset makes me want to play as him. His attacks actually don't come off as that unique, and his moves don't seem to form a cohesive playstyle. Instead, the excellent characterization, coupled with my adoration of the character, makes him an interesting prospective main for me.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
It's hard for me to not accept the usage of Namco-related props, because more than rev rolling or butt-bouncing, Pac-Man is portrayed interacting with various Namco iconography. His ability to summon them in battle and appropriate their powers for his own use is only the slightest stretch of his already established abilities and characterization. It's the sort of moveset I actually predicted Sakurai and Namco to go with, so it didn't take me by surprise.

I actually agree with @ staindgrey staindgrey in that nothing in particular about Pac-Man's moveset makes me want to play as him. His attacks actually don't come off as that unique, and his moves don't seem to form a cohesive playstyle. Instead, the excellent characterization, coupled with my adoration of the character, makes him an interesting prospective main for me.
I dunno, I'm pretty intrigued by is side B and his standard B fruit toss. I want to know more about how they work because they seem pretty unique. The fire hydrant is neat too, but I'm already used to jumping and dropping an object on people with Sonic. :p

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I was initially irritated at the fact Pac-Man wasn't revealed at E3, where he should have been. I'm still kinda annoyed at that.

Outside of that, the trailer was great. Pac-Man is great.
I feel sort of similar though I feel like the best time to reveal him would've been the end of the invitational tournament, I think that would've been the hypest note to end on.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I knew he was in before I saw his video cause I got spoiled and was like "seriously that's dumb"

After I watched his reveal I was like.. "that's awesome!"
Now he's in my top 10

Hong

The Strongest
I don't plan to play him at all.

But I am heavily intrigued by his specials and attributes. The mechanics nerd inside of me wants to learn about him more than any character and pick everything apart. He's very, very, interesting. I can't believe how dismissive I was before he was shown.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I was incredibly happy to see him, especially in his retro form. Glad they went old school.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I saw it on Twitter, after I was quite inebriated. I yelled, and then thankfully the trailer was already out by the time I was finding out. After watching the trailer, I knew he was my main. I also re-watched it several times. His moves look amazing!

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I'm not entirely sure how to react to Pac-Man, but I definitely don't have ill feelings towards his inclusion. In fact, back in early Brawl days when Sonic was shown (I was like, 11), I was always thinking Pac-Man could fit in.

I played Pac-Man a lot, usually Ms. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man's Maze Madness and all the Pac-Man World games.So it's really nostalgic for me to see Pac-Man's design to be this one. I also love how Pac-Man generally represents Namco's presence in the arcade industry, by incorporating other Namco games in his moveset (I realize it's only for like, 4 moves, but it's still cool). I played Galaga and Dig-Dug a lot too.

I won't main him but I will play him time-to-time. Great to see him here.

Sorabotics

Smash Rookie
I think the addition of Pac Man is awesome! I like that his moveset is the embodiment of all the classic arcade games we've come to know and love.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pac-Man had the best trailer. I was excited to see moveset. His specials are all oozing with creativity (except Up B which means that all third party characters have a spring/trampoline launcher that other people can use as their Up B; points for creating a pattern I guess).

His dash is nice. All three smashes being ghosts seems like overkill, but it fits. The grab looks very interesting.

Aerials seem fairly basic, but seem to have flow like Mario's aerial set.

Facial expressions and taunts are amazing.

He seems like he is going to be a basic character like Mario and Wii Fit Trainer. He has a variety of tools. Yet his specials might take a little more thought to use wisely so he might be the more difficult to master "jack-of-all-trades" character.

Peru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peru_El_Campeon
3DS FC
2750-1137-6520
I was pretty hyped to see him. I mean, Namco Bandai involvement? It was coming eventually

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
He wasn't on my wishlist, but I thought the use of gameplay clips, the little Game & Watch teaser, and the music was well done here. I also like how they are injecting him with more appealing personality than Namco ever did (because that was my only real barrier from going from indifference to actually wanting him before his reveal).

However, I think his trailer was actually really lackluster overall, definitely the least interesting of all of the newcomer trailers. There was no cool cinematic to open it up, and while they obviously wanted to get across that he's the 3rd of the famous non-Nintendo mascots in the game, I didn't like the whole colour theme they went with, I think that kind of fell short since it can't be a "4-player battle" joke because the 4th player in Smash is green, yet we only have red, two blues, and a yellow in terms of the actual mascots here in the trailer. They also fail in pulling the "RGB" technical joke because again, no green.

If they wanted to reveal Pac-Man, they should have had more CGI footage. Or heck, even make a sprite based meet-up between the four of them at the start. That would have been more charming than the opening they went with.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I heard it on a live reactions video and saw the twitter post, and I didn't see much until the next day. Though, he was someone that I was really hoping for so it really made me excited.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
He wasn't on my wishlist, but I thought the use of gameplay clips, the little Game & Watch teaser, and the music was well done here. I also like how they are injecting him with more appealing personality than Namco ever did (because that was my only real barrier from going from indifference to actually wanting him before his reveal).

However, I think his trailer was actually really lackluster overall, definitely the least interesting of all of the newcomer trailers. There was no cool cinematic to open it up, and while they obviously wanted to get across that he's the 3rd of the famous non-Nintendo mascots in the game, I didn't like the whole colour theme they went with, I think that kind of fell short since it can't be a "4-player battle" joke because the 4th player in Smash is green, yet we only have red, two blues, and a yellow in terms of the actual mascots here in the trailer. They also fail in pulling the "RGB" technical joke because again, no green.

If they wanted to reveal Pac-Man, they should have had more CGI footage. Or heck, even make a sprite based meet-up between the four of them at the start. That would have been more charming than the opening they went with.
I agree with the impression here. I feel like he should have had a legitimate cinematic. Mega Man got one, so why not Pac-Man? I guess they were trying to be minimalistic and simple, like Pac-Man himself, but there's no doubt it would've been more hype if he had an actual movie before the gameplay montage.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'll post my video reaction to the whole Nintendo Digital Event, which include a bonus of Pac-Man reveal via Twitter... (I'm promising this since E3 XD.. but hopefully I'll be able to post around Thursday, is holiday here in Brazil).
but to illustrate; I was more or less like that:

kylexv

Smash Master
Liveblog: Pac-Man? Now the leak is DEFINITELY real.

Waking up in the morning and watching the trailer: YES! They didn't use the new design! Then: So nostalgic!

Probably have rewatched that trailer more than 10 times. Compare it to only rewatching the Palutena one twice.

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
*Reading on Twitter that Pac-Man's been confirmed for Smash 4 by Nintendo of America*

*Watches trailer*

Here I was strolling youtube, then I find a vid about pac-man. I think its a relatively decent fake video, then I realized who posted the vid. Nintendo.

"WTH"

Last edited:

MewKwota

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I wasn't all that hyped with the E3 three of this year-- needless to say, I was still super satisfied with Nintendo's Digital Event of course. Since I'm normally very, very indifferent with newcomers, I had no real reaction to the Mii's, Palutena, or Pac-Man. Unless some bit of disbelief and constant "oh my god"s would count, I actually doubted everyone Wii Fit Trainer and beyond would be in this game. Again, with indifference, so I easily welcomed everyone rafter some so days.

Though for Pac-Man's case, one other reason I doubted the little fella was due to my lack of knowledge on his series. Unlike Mega Man, I've never seen, touched, or played any Pac-Man game. So I held nothing but indifference on the guy, but kept an "if he's in, he's in it, alright" mindset, knowing Namco was helping with Smash 4's development.

But then his page was revealed on the main site.
Cue in the disbelief and usual "Oh my god" gradually getting louder throughout my house, until I turned the actual video on.
I was strangely drawn in, the music especially caught my attention and gave me good chills, I just felt so... happy inside. Pac-Man looked so happy, so friendly, so fun. That alone made me grow to like him almost immediately. While I admit the intro was kinda so-so, the rest of the video strung together spelled out this character who spoke to me, "Look! I just wanna have some fun!"

So to stop my needless essay short, he didn't beat Mega Man's video nor did he beat my unusual hype over Little Mac, but Pac-Man gave me such a good, warm feeling I never felt from any of the other reveals that day. I happily accept him. ( ' v')b

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
To be honest, I wasn't all that hyped with the E3 three of this year-- needless to say, I was still super satisfied with Nintendo's Digital Event of course. Since I'm normally very, very indifferent with newcomers, I had no real reaction to the Mii's, Palutena, or Pac-Man. Unless some bit of disbelief and constant "oh my god"s would count, I actually doubted everyone Wii Fit Trainer and beyond would be in this game. Again, with indifference, so I easily welcomed everyone rafter some so days.

Though for Pac-Man's case, one other reason I doubted the little fella was due to my lack of knowledge on his series. Unlike Mega Man, I've never seen, touched, or played any Pac-Man game. So I held nothing but indifference on the guy, but kept an "if he's in, he's in it, alright" mindset, knowing Namco was helping with Smash 4's development.

But then his page was revealed on the main site.
Cue in the disbelief and usual "Oh my god" gradually getting louder throughout my house, until I turned the actual video on.
I was strangely drawn in, the music especially caught my attention and gave me good chills, I just felt so... happy inside. Pac-Man looked so happy, so friendly, so fun. That alone made me grow to like him almost immediately. While I admit the intro was kinda so-so, the rest of the video strung together spelled out this character who spoke to me, "Look! I just wanna have some fun!"

So to stop my needless essay short, he didn't beat Mega Man's video nor did he beat my unusual hype over Little Mac, but Pac-Man gave me such a good, warm feeling I never felt from any of the other reveals that day. I happily accept him. ( ' v')b
That's the amazing charm of Pac-Man. He's not meant to be a deep and complex character. Those characters can be awesome, don't get me wrong, but Pac-Man's not meant to be that at all. He's cheery and fun and just appealing. Kids, adults, men, women, children. Doesn't matter who you are. Everyone understands happiness. Everyone understands fun. So everyone can relate to the little guy.

Guess that's what made him such a good mascot. Universal appeal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom