• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaction thread - How did you react?

Who were you more hyped for?

• Lucas

Votes: 94 56.6%
  • Mewtwo

Votes: 72 43.4%

• Total voters

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Mewtwo: "Wow. He looks great in HD."
*checks Social, people are mentioning Lucas*
"What?"
*goes on N's channel after direct end and watches it*
*Character slashes*
"Whoa, wait wait wait wait wait...."
*Ness gets beaten up*
>PK FIRE
*Lucas Comes out of Nowhere! :4lucas:*
"OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD"
spasming and yelling*

Roast Grief

Smash Rookie
I was ecstatic with the Mewtwo release date. As for Lucas, I was more hyped on behalf of a friend of mine, who mained Lucas in Brawl and was very disappointed that he didn't return.

X1Type1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Delver83
Was pleased abput the new characters. Not pleased about the balance changes. It makes a lot of people have to switch mains when their character gets nerfed to hell and it's annoying and stupid. R.I.P. Greninja, Peach, Rosalina... and soon Diddy Kong, Sonic, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Zero Suit. Also Everytime there is a patch to a game, its meta generally becomes less and less interesting due to the loss of cool exploits and tech. But of course when enough people whine about something like Water Shuriken and upsmash with Old Greninja or Diddy's Hoo Ha or Shiek's Old Bfish because they suck too much to adapt and get better, Nintendo, like all the other suck up fighting game developers, will now just nerf it and screw over everyone who utilized said exploits skillfully while rewarding bad players for whining. I mained Greninja. Now I main Diddy. Now idk what the hell I'm gonna do if they nerf Diddy as badly as they did Greninja. I'm sick of having to master new characters every time someone cries THIS CHARACTER IS BROKEN! NERF HIM/HER BECAUSE HE/SHE IS UNBEATABLE! Even though they aren't and everybody shluld just stop whining and get good.

X1Type1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Delver83
What i was even more excited about was the said "balancing" patch. So maybe the current tier list isn't set in stone (i mean it's obviously gonna change but maybe a patch will even it out)
I'm not. Every time they patch it we lose more and more cool exploits and tech and also many players lose thier mains cuz they get super nerfed. I mained Greninja, then I had to go Diddy post patch. Now I might have to switch again because bad players claim Diddy is broken? Yeah that makes sense, reward bad players for whining instead of good players for mastering a good character.

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Was pleased abput the new characters. Not pleased about the balance changes. It makes a lot of people have to switch mains when their character gets nerfed to hell and it's annoying and stupid. R.I.P. Greninja, Peach, Rosalina... and soon Diddy Kong, Sonic, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Zero Suit. Also Everytime there is a patch to a game, its meta generally becomes less and less interesting due to the loss of cool exploits and tech. But of course when enough people whine about something like Water Shuriken and upsmash with Old Greninja or Diddy's Hoo Ha or Shiek's Old Bfish because they suck too much to adapt and get better, Nintendo, like all the other suck up fighting game developers, will now just nerf it and screw over everyone who utilized said exploits skillfully while rewarding bad players for whining. I mained Greninja. Now I main Diddy. Now idk what the hell I'm gonna do if they nerf Diddy as badly as they did Greninja. I'm sick of having to master new characters every time someone cries THIS CHARACTER IS BROKEN! NERF HIM/HER BECAUSE HE/SHE IS UNBEATABLE! Even though they aren't and everybody shluld just stop whining and get good.
I honestly can't believe that there are people out there that would object to having a level playing field in Smash. The tier differences are not negligible. It is not simply matter of "getting good". The game, as of now, is absurdly unbalanced. Fight a Sheik main with Ganondorf or Charizard and you can clearly see that a patch is sorely needed. The top characters do need slight nerfs (Sheik, for one, needs more lag) and the rest of the roster needs buffs. Greninja, Peach, & Rosalina are still great characters. You sit there and complain about having to switch mains after each patch, perhaps it is you that needs to "stop whining and get good."

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Mewtwo: Ok cool. Same as Melee. Like it. Final Smash is pretty awesome.

Mii costumes: OMG PROTO MAN AND MAJORA'S MASK AND DUNBAN COSTUMES! KEWLIOS!

Lucas: *sees Ness getting rekt* Aw that's kinda crue- wait... don't tell me.. is Lucas coming?
"PK Fire" :crazy::crazy:
Lucas Comes Out of Nowhere! :grin::bee::chuckle::cry::pimp::roll::) This made the direct for me.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
At first I thought it was an April fools joke, so I was thinking "good one Nintendo" but then they started showcasing his moves and such...

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
Here are my exact reactions to
:4mewtwo::4mewtwo::4mewtwo:
* Smash Logo appears and mew2s eyes show up on screen
"Woah a mewtwo trailer maybe when he is avaible i might try to main him
* halfway through the trailer
"Wow Mewtwo looks amazing he seems like a amazing character although most of his moveset is carried over melee i just wondered what took them so long
*Release Date Announced
:O since i have a code i'll get mewtwo early WOOO!
:4lucas::4lucas::4lucas::4lucas:
*Ness shows up
"Uh please tell me what i think it is"
Lucas Says PK FIRE
WOOOO FINALLY THANK YOU SAKURAI ALL PRAISE OUR RULER SAKURAI
I would say the rest but they mostly comprise of WOOOO and YESSS

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mewtwo was known, so of course I was more excited for Lucas.

But yeah, I missed the first few minutes because I had to let a friend into the building, and came back with Iwata saying "Please look at this." And then Mother music and Oh hey it's Lucas cool.

Wasn't really particularly hype, since it's just a returner (and not Roy), but was still pretty cool.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Lucas is my favorite character from Brawl, so needless to say I was ecstatic with the news that he's returning. Mewtwo is cool as well of course, and I'm still eager to try him out. I'm curious to see what other DLC characters will be getting in. I know I'll be happily buying anything that gets released haha.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
With Lucas it was like...

Smash Screen appears
Trailer focuses on Ness
Me: Lucas?
Lucas: "PK Fire"
Me: OMG Lucas

And then me repeating Lucas's name.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think Mewtwo's trailer would've blown people away if it wasn't revealed earlier in that cheap way back in November. That said, he looks great. Lucas was meh, I still don't understand why people care about him.
The things that excited me the most were actually the Mii outfits (I play with Miis A LOT) and the Ballot of course.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
We were kidding around earlier that day that Lucas would finally be revealed. We didn't think it would actually happen. My flatmate is super into Mother 3 and used to main Lucas in Brawl (He was pretty distraught when Lucas was not shown in the final character roster). When the trailer came on, he started freaking out at the theme playing (I had no idea) and by the the time Lucas appeared, my flatmate was pretty much shouting and squealing for joy. He then proceeded for the rest of the direct to talk about Lucas. I'm happy fer him...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Mewtwo was okay for me. I didn't like playing as him too much in Melee, but was excited to see him in action.

When that Lucas trailer started, I was freaking out. I guessed it pretty early, but couldn't believe it. I said 'oh my god' about 1000 times, then when the screen went blank, and I heard PK FIRE... my jaw hit the ground.

Not only was I a Lucas main in Brawl, but it confirmed that there is more DLC on the way. Even the Mii outfits are freaking awesome. It's got me, and Smashboards so excited to see what will come.

Long live the Character Discussion Threads (much to the mods displeasure, I assume)

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
As said flatmate that @ TheWorstMuppet TheWorstMuppet was talking about, I can confirm that I was downright obsessed. I got an actual adrenaline rush and couldn't calm down for about two hours.

Mewtwo also got me excited but not even nearly as much.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I jumped up and screamed things that the filter system won't let me repeat.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I was out during the direct, and a friend texted me during.

"HOLY CRAP. RIDLEY CONFIRMED!"
"Yeah, right. I know what day it is. Any REAL news?"
"I... won't say. You need to experience it yourself."

Mewtwo... I'll sum it up.
"Good, they used the proper tag line. Wow... his moveset is just Melee but FUNCTIONAL. CALLED IT. MEGA MEWTWO Y WITH PSYSTRIKE FINAL SMASH. FRIGGIN' CALLED IT."

With Lucas... I was a bit surprised. Incredibly happy he made a return out of respect for Mother as a series. I'm GOD AWFUL at fighting with Ness and Lucas though.

HallowKaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
HallowKaz
3DS FC
2938-8929-4909
I'm sorry but I was too HYPED for LUCAS! Always been my favorite over Ness.

D

Deleted member

Although I'm probably not gonna ever play as him, the trailer for MewTwo looked pretty cool.
Also it's great that Lucas is coming back too since so many missed him.

I'm looking forward to SMT x FE and the new Fire Emblem game! Too bad it isn't coming out until next year. Dx

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
I was most hyped for Lucas. I sat there and smiled because I don't fake my reactions and scream out loud.

Pusha

Smash Rookie
I'm not. Every time they patch it we lose more and more cool exploits and tech and also many players lose thier mains cuz they get super nerfed. I mained Greninja, then I had to go Diddy post patch. Now I might have to switch again because bad players claim Diddy is broken? Yeah that makes sense, reward bad players for whining instead of good players for mastering a good character.
There is a lot of evidence for diddy being the best character in the game. Every tier list i've seen has him S tier, including Japanese ones. Also, a patch doesn't mean nerfs, it means balancing. Not only bad players say diddy is the best. If he gets balanced out then that a good thing. Ideally every character should be viable and there shouldn't be one character who is so clearly better than the others

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I was happy. Not too much hype, mainly because I accidentally skipped forward to soon to see Lucas, and we all knew about Mewtwo for a while prior. Still too very great characters.

Mephi$to

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo is awesome,

really lucas seems waste of space, i am not hyped for him at all should have added a character that deserves to be in

just a ness rip off

K rool

skull kid

chrom

impa

bayonetta

some1 from jet force gemeni

black shadow

ridley

lucas just wanabe ness

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Reaction: Oh sweet! A Mewtwo trailer! Can't wait to see his moveset!
*Iwata says there's more DLC content and shows the outfits*
Oh sweet, I've got an extra few dollars on my account from PokeBank! Might get that Smash shirt, it looks so cool.
Iwata says "That's not all." Smash slash appears
Holy *** who the *** is this.
Friend shouts: "LUCAS!"
"OH MY GOSH YOU'RE RIGHT!"
*Hears PK Fire!*
"LUCAS *heavy breath* LUCAS *heavy breath* LUCAS! *heavy breath* LUC" you get the idea.
thank gosh no one was home, I would have scared the living daylights out of my family lmao

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Direct: "Mewtwo strikes back!"
Me: "Yes, I knew they'd make his tagline "Mewtwo strikes back!"
Direct: Mewtwo used Psystrike!
Me: "So that's his final smash? Sick!"
Direct: "Lucas comes out of nowhere!"
Me: "Welcome back, Lucas." :')

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I cried when Lucas was announced.

Mother 3, which I completed a few weeks ago, has risen to the top of my favorite games and back in the brawl days I never gave Lucas much attention...however I regret that I didn't do so.

No i can finally redeem myself and play as the protagonist of my favorite game of all time!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
*Mewtwo trailer*

Hooray! He's just like Melee but buffed! My main is back! :awesome:

*Mii costumes*

That's pretty neat! I'lll buy them.

*Lucas trailer*

What? OH MY ****ING YES!

MOTHER 3 HYPE!

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I literally screamed a bit.

I texted my friend
"LUCAS
LUCAS
LUCAS
OMG
RESPOND
*name*
LUCAS"

Needless to say, Lucas hype is real. :lucas::lucas::lucas:

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've actually started my first playthrough of Mother 3 out of hype. I just started chapter 3.

Last edited:

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
Hahaha...until I saw Ace's reaction to the Lucas reveal trailer, I thought nobody could get more hyped than Etika. I was really happy about both Mewtwo and Lucas being back, but I was slightly more hyped for Mewtwo since he'll be available sooner and he seems to suit my playstyle better out of the two. I immediately voted for Wolf and Waluigi on the ballot, then voted for Shanoa from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I have my doubts about Shanoa or Waluigi getting in, but I figure Wolf has a pretty good chance.

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I'm also pretty interested in the new patch coming in ten days. It could be great and perfectly balance the game. Or it could be horrible. Imagine the boards filled with headlines reading: "Patch 1.0.6 includes a Bigley costume for Mr. Game and Watch, Diddy's grab range is increased and the Hoo-Hah is buffed, Greninja recieves yet another nerf, and the random tripping mechanic is re-introduced. Saku-troll strikes again!"

Last edited:

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
Also just out of curiosity (I'll probably get some hate for this), but why does everyone like Lucas more than ness? Pardon me for my ignorance but isn't he a clone?
Lucas's only similarities to Ness are his specials, but even most of those are very different. Both have the PK thunder up special that you have to aim at yourself to recover, but Lucas's can make tighter turns and is far less vulnerable. If you hit yourself with lucas's thunder, it hits opponents multiple times instead of just once. They both have PK fire as a side special, But lucas's travels horizontally when used in the air, unlike Ness's which goes diagonally downward. The biggest difference between the two moves is that Lucas's only hits opponents once, while Ness's is rather cheap and hits you multiple times, holding opponents in place if they have bad DI or are very heavy. Their down specials, PK magnet were a little different in Brawl but now they appear the same. Lucas's neutral special is PK freeze, which can be controlled in the air and freezes opponents when released. Ness's is PK flash, which can't move as far as PK freeze but has ridiculous kill power when fully charged. The rest of Lucas's moveset is completely different from Ness's. So yeah, other than some specials their only similarities are that they both come from the Earthbound games, and Lucas is definitely very far from being a clone of Ness.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
My reaction to Mewtwo (AKA Not Wolf #1)

My reaction to Lucas (AKA Not Wolf #2)

My reaction to a new balance patch.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Lucas's only similarities to Ness are his specials, but even most of those are very different. Both have the PK thunder up special that you have to aim at yourself to recover, but Lucas's can make tighter turns and is far less vulnerable. If you hit yourself with lucas's thunder, it hits opponents multiple times instead of just once. They both have PK fire as a side special, But lucas's travels horizontally when used in the air, unlike Ness's which goes diagonally downward. The biggest difference between the two moves is that Lucas's only hits opponents once, while Ness's is rather cheap and hits you multiple times, holding opponents in place if they have bad DI or are very heavy. Their down specials, PK magnet were a little different in Brawl but now they appear the same. Lucas's neutral special is PK freeze, which can be controlled in the air and freezes opponents when released. Ness's is PK flash, which can't move as far as PK freeze but has ridiculous kill power when fully charged. The rest of Lucas's moveset is completely different from Ness's. So yeah, other than some specials their only similarities are that they both come from the Earthbound games, and Lucas is definitely very far from being a clone of Ness.
A bit off-topic, but this is my issue with this game. Dark Pit is my main, but how does a guy like him, who has almost no differences from his clone (arrows, side B, FTilt knockback the only differences), get in the game over a guy like Lucas, who is very noticeably different from Ness despite being a clone?

Same with Wolf. It's pretty lame that Lucas is DLC to begin with for just this reason.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
A bit off-topic, but this is my issue with this game. Dark Pit is my main, but how does a guy like him, who has almost no differences from his clone (arrows, side B, FTilt knockback the only differences), get in the game over a guy like Lucas, who is very noticeably different from Ness despite being a clone?

Same with Wolf. It's pretty lame that Lucas is DLC to begin with for just this reason.
Promoted from an alt costume at the eleventh hour, required little to no dev time.

Contrast Lucas, who was not feasible in the allotted timeframe; unless you particularly love the concept of Lucas being a straight-up Ness clone.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
My reaction when Mewtwo was first announced(as well as the whole 50-fact extravaganza): Hype!...Hype!...Hype!...Hype!...(Like Benny with his SPACEHIP!!!, just replace SPACEHIP!!! with Hype!)

Lucas' reveal: Not nearly as excited, so I was simply glad to see him again. Hoping to see Wolf return as well.

Top Bottom