• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 126 - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillerCage

Smash Master
I just find funny that out the 8 ratings so far, only two gave both a chance and want score. The rest abstained from giving any score with one slight exception where they gave just a chance score. That's at most a 75% abstain rate (68.75% if you treat the want and chance scores as separate.)

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the main reason to pick this show would be that it is a CW series and that may be an area of Warner's catalogue worth highlighting - and, unless they wanna add real humans from Who's Line Is It Anyway or Penn and Teller's Fool Us, CXG is probably the top choice for an original CW IP.
The Winchester brothers from supernatural feel like a likely shout for a CW rep imo.

D

Deleted member

Wrong thread. Ignore this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Rebecca with a Bunch of drama and lawyer shenanigans

Chance: 5%

To give this show some credit, it did get some rewards and an actor who is cool with riding a floating pretzel should be chill with being included in MultiVersus. But will she get in? I imagine not. This seems really far out there, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since I do believe some deep cuts can happen. But since the show didn't do so well with viewership, it's hard for me to imagine this is the deep cut that will be brought in.

Want: 50%

I've never watched this show and it doesn't appeal to me, but a couple people here kind of sold me on her. So while I wouldn't be excited for Rebecca's inclusion, she would probably be very entertaining and I'm always down for that.

Noms: Harry Potter x5

Day over.

Rate Agent Smith from The Matrix.

Some music to get into the slow-motion mood:

Quan-Chi
Chance: 4.50%
Want: 37.5%

Eustace's title is already gone, because now Quan-Chi is the least likely character.

Noms List

100+

75-99
Neo x75

50-74
Dio Brando x70
Lola Bunny x65
Pim and Charlie x55
Maxwell x51

25-49
Peanuts content x45
K.O x40
Fred Flintstone x40
Ellie Williams x40
Concept: Characters with no strong Warner Bros connection x39
Zatanna x35
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
The Impractical Jokers x30
Samurai Jack x30
Harry Potter x30

1-24
All Elite Wrestling rep x23
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Rick Sanchez x20
Deathstroke x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Citizen Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"I'm going to enjoy watching you die, Mr. Anderson."

Chance- 49%
The Matrix feels very likely to get a character, its an iconic movie series that just got a new installment. But the thing is, the first rep for the Matrix will absolutely be Neo. I won't talk about Neo too much here, since it looks like we're going to be rating him farily soon, but it's safe to say he would be chosen before anyone else. However, judging by what we know about this game's roster choices, a second rep isn't out of the question for a franchise like this, but the question is who? In my opinion, it comes down to three picks. Trinity, Morpheus and Agent Smith. The love interest, the mentor and the villain. Trinity and Morpheus are important to the franchise, and the game has favored side characters over villians so far, but I feel both may be a little too close to Neo in terms of skills, but Agent Smith could really stand out due to his ability to create clones of himself, and he is an extremely iconic villain in pop culture. On the off chance Matrix does get multiple reps, which is a big if, then I think he had a very good chance.

Want - 50%
Part of me feels like Neo himself would be enough to represent the Matrix as a franchise. But I can't pretend I wouldn't be down to play as the over the top Agent. His powers would make for a very fun moveset and he would have some wonderful hammy dialog, though sadly it's unlikely they'd get Hugo Weaving back.

Noms to Samurai Jack

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the red skull

chances: 50% i can see it happening. with the roster the ways it is with whats officially revealed it does seem like it will be quite diverse with some real tonal clashing in the true spirit of smash. the matrix films, particularly the first 3 were quite popular so a character from those films like this guy or the main character whom i recall is called new. plus the insane body movements and gun play would make for a real stand out character, though at this early stage its hard to tell how bothered they are about moveset variety. so bar me being mistaken about who owns these films this guys got everything going for him and his main worry is whether or not they think of him and whether or not reeves is higher on their list.

want: 0% i find the matrix films woeful. id call it the low point of hugo weaving's career

if ive earned any noms put them to wil e. coyote

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Rebecca Bunch
Chance: 2.75%
Want: 80%

This is the third time in a row where a character stole the unlucky spot of being the least likely. The cause for this is probably because we are heading into the more niche stuff, plus Eustace and Quan-Chi's main competition isn't in the game yet so their ratings can be considered premature.

Noms List

100+

75-99
Neo x80
Dio Brando x75
Lola Bunny x75

50-74
Pim and Charlie x55
Maxwell x54
Peanuts content x50
Ellie Williams x50

25-49
K.O x40
Fred Flintstone x40
Zatanna x35
Samurai Jack x35
Harry Potter x35
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Rick Sanchez x20
Deathstroke x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Citizen Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
"The good thing about being me is there are so many mes."
-Agent Smith: "The Matrix Reloaded"
Chances- 50%

I have a hard time imagining The Matrix not getting a character in MultiVerses. I do think Agent Smith has a decent shot. He is the central villain of the original trilogy after all. The thing is Neo should take priority over Smith. Is "The Matrix" popular enough to get multiple characters? My answer would be most likely no. Agent Smith might have a shot at DLC, but that's a stretch.

Want- 70%

"The Matrix" is one of the first R rated films I saw. As you can imagine, I have a soft spot for Agent Smith. I do believe he can have a fun moveset in MultiVerses. What makes me hesitate on wanting him more is that Neo should come first.

My noms: The Winchester Brothers (Supernatural) x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Slow-motion intensifies

Chance: 50%

I'll get more into the Matrix itself on Neo's day so right now I'll just focus on Agent Smith. While there are a few other characters he has to compete with (Aside from...well the main character) he does have a good shot of being the second rep since he is the main antagonist of the trilogy and offers more unique moveset potential. Really, it just comes down to if the Matrix will get a second character (Yes, the wording on that implies that I think Neo is inevitable). Which, I do think can happen with how popular The Matrix is. When we get Neo, I'm sure Agent Smith will be close behind.

Want: 60%

Neo really should get in first. But otherwise yeah Agent Smith is awesome and would be really fun to play as. Plus I think The Matrix deserves multiple reps.

Noms: Fred Flintstone x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We've been expecting you

Chance: 15%
I guess I'm gonna be the dissenting voice today.

Now, Neo is basically a guarantee. He's iconic, tailor-made for a fighting game, relevant with his new movie, Keanu is on board with games, he's in. So the question becomes whether the Matrix will get two characters, and if so, who?

I think the Matrix can and likely will get more than one fighter. It's one of the most acclaimed and influential movies of all time and it's also a franchise with many installments, spin-offs and expansions and potential for more. What I'm saying is, it has credibility while also being something that Warner is dying to milk. I think they'll do anything in their power to keep Matrix in the minds of people.

And as for who, this is where I differ from the others. It's obviously Trinity. Before Resurrections, it might have been ambiguous. But the fourth movie elevates Trinity basically to co-lead, makes her equally important in the lore as Neo, and lets her be the only major character aside from Neo who gets to keep her old actor. Meanwhile Morpheus dies canonically in the Matrix Online and the Morpheus in Resurrections is a code version created by Neo and brought up a couple of tiers of reality; Smith himself has been recreated, maybe, he's clearly not under the control of the Matrix still but he doesn't hate Neo as strongly not embody his ideal of predetermination and purpose. Both of them are recast, but while Yahya Abdul-Mateen looks and dresses like you'd expect from a younger Morpheus, Jonathan Groff looks nothing like Smith and shows none of his old abilities.

This creates a major issue for Smith in particular: do they use the old iconic version, or the new one that is likely to be used in all future incarnations of the character? Do they split the needle and add both versions despite them not sharing a moveset? Would Hugo Weaving even agree to return to voice the role? All these questions add up to me considering Smith very unlikely in the face of overwhelming competition.

Want: 100%
****, he's one of the most iconic villains in fiction, and one with a compelling philosophical argument to boot. Despite what the fourth movie will tell you, I think there simply is no Matrix without Neo and Smith. They're the duality, and while countless essays have been written about what that entails, for MultiVersus what matters is it would be really, really cool to see them duke it out.

Noms: Peacemaker

amageish

Smash Master
Agent Smith

Chance: 20%. I'm going to be a tad bit more skeptical here and say that I think Agent Smith has competition on all sides.

First off, Neo is the protagonist of the Matrix and, while protagonists being out-prioritized in platform fighters is a thing that happens, I don't think it'd be happening for Neo. One of the most famous action movie heroes played by a beloved and well-meme'd actor? I don't see a reason to prioritize the villain over a character like that, even if Agent Smith is also a little bit of a meme in his own right.

Secondly, Trinity is both popular and a kick-ass action hero on her own right, who has been becoming increasingly important to the franchise throughout the latest film and spin-offs. As GoodGrief points out, Carrie-Anne Moss actually continues to play her in the series as well! She's definitely the second-most important character in the IP and I don't really see a reason they'd skip over her either?

Thirdly... I know Resurrections is contentious and I don't know how its financial performance will impact the future of the IP, but there's just a lot going on in that film that makes me question Smith's prominence in future entries. He's been recast and the character's role in the series has been modified. It's also possible they could go with one of the OCs from Resurrections as a third representive for the series, if they were getting to the point of adding a third representive. A new character would arguably be safer future-proofing as they probably wouldn't have to recast if/when they make a Matrix 5. The obvious choice there in my opinion would be Bugs, who... Well, I'd be mildly amused to see Bugs fight Bugs Bunny if nothing else.

That said, barring something meta based on real-world copyright ownership, The Matrix content is only a matter of time in this game. It's just a matter of Smith himself making in it as part of it.

Want: 90%. I'd obviously prefer Neo, but this would still make me happy. I've also seen the suggestion an army of Smiths be used as an equivalent of the Polygon Fighting Team, which... Yeah, I would really enjoy that as well, potentially more then Smith being playable directly.

Noms: Ellie x 10

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Is this really necessary? I get you don't like The Matrix but to act like others won't get anything out of it seems petty. Please refrain from making comments like this in the future.
geez you make one negative comment on this place. Let me voice my opinions

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
geez you make one negative comment on this place. Let me voice my opinions
The difference is I don't go after people just for voicing their opinions, even unpopular ones. But I do call out people when they say something rude or untrue. Your post implied that The Matrix is a nothing sandwich when it's often considered one of the most influential movies of the past 25 years. You are allowed to have your opinions. You don't like the movie? That's perfectly fine. But to disregard it is a different matter. You saying "You've missed nothing" is a statement, not an opinion. And what you said is not true.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The difference is I don't go after people just for voicing their opinions, even unpopular ones. But I do call out people when they say something rude or untrue. Your post implied that The Matrix is a nothing sandwich when it's often considered one of the most influential movies of the past 25 years. You are allowed to have your opinions. You don't like the movie? That's perfectly fine. But to disregard it is a different matter. You saying "You've missed nothing" is a statement, not an opinion. And what you said is not true.
thinking and entire franchise is nothing is an opinion. you think its something is an opinion. you getting upset over such a comet is an overreaction. you'd think id spat in reeves' face or something. call it influential is a matter of debate as im sure most of the influence it is said to have had could be credited to other films as is often the case with the industry. and even then being influential isnt the same as being good or worth anyones time. you can tell me my opinions as are untrue all you want but it mean youre the one being rude.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
thinking and entire franchise is nothing is an opinion. you think its something is an opinion. you getting upset over such a comet is an overreaction. you'd think id spat in reeves' face or something. call it influential is a matter of debate as im sure most of the influence it is said to have had could be credited to other films as is often the case with the industry. and even then being influential isnt the same as being good or worth anyones time. you can tell me my opinions as are untrue all you want but it mean youre the one being rude.
"thinking and entire franchise is nothing is an opinion." No it's not. And you say "calling it influential is a matter of debate" when the movie is in the national film registry. Also, you are calling me rude when you have derailed threads in the past? Give me a break.

That's all I'm going to say about this conversation. I'm now gonna ask you to stop derailing the thread or you will be kicked from here. This is your warning.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
First Name: Agent
Second Name: Smith

Chance: 70%

Matrix is a pretty damn influential (and very, very sorely misunderstood) series so I can absolutely see it getting time to shine in Multiversus. Matrix Resurrections is a pretty recent release even. The problem here is that we'd more likely than not get Neo as the first character. Beyond that though? Well we'd probably also get Trinity before Smith and it's honestly a toss up in regards to him or Morpheus. Those four would be the quintessential Matrix representation and I can see all of them making it in spite of certain speedbumps.

Smith's a legendary film villain, he's really fun to watch on screen and is utterly menacing. I'd love to use him in any fighting game really and that applies to all major Matrix characters.

Noms:
All on Deathstroke

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"thinking and entire franchise is nothing is an opinion." No it's not. And you say "calling it influential is a matter of debate" when the movie is in the national film registry. Also, you are calling me rude when you have derailed threads in the past? Give me a break.

That's all I'm going to say about this conversation. I'm now gonna ask you to stop derailing the thread or you will be kicked from here. This is your warning.
sorry what does being put into the national film registry prove? there's loads of things in there many of which have had little to no impact at all. you can ban me and claim im trying to derail the thread all you want but from where im sitting youre having a fit cause someone had the audacity to say something you like, like fanboy getting upset over someone saying mario's moustache looks daft, if you actually thought i was trying to start start something youd ignore it not respond to it and potentially start the thing you thought they were trying to start. you can tell me im in the wrong all you want but im not the one trying to censor other people opinions. so go ahead ban me, if you cant handle a little bit of negativity like that then its probably for the best that you stay away from all british people.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Please cease the current argument.

I understand that not everyone likes the Matrix and it is okay to not like the franchise. Everyone has different tastes and opinions.

That said, calling others out as rude only serves to promote anger. I understand everyone wishes to defend their opinion, but resorting to arguments is not acceptable.
In the future, please do not call out others as rude and start arguments.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Please cease the current argument.

I understand that not everyone likes the Matrix and it is okay to not like the franchise. Everyone has different tastes and opinions.

That said, calling others out as rude only serves to promote anger. I understand everyone wishes to defend their opinion, but resorting to arguments is not acceptable.
In the future, please do not call out others as rude and start arguments.
look the point is I wasn’t trying to start something and I’m sorry to have upset people. I don’t look to derail threads

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
look the point is I wasn’t trying to start something and I’m sorry to have upset people. I don’t look to derail threads
That’s a bold faced lie, and I have our pms about you derailing smash ultimate RTC to back up the fact you are lying. I was hoping for a new game you would have learned your lesson.

Agent Smith

25% chance

Neo has to come first, but he’s pretty close to a lock. For me, I think the matrix getting a second character is about a 50/50. I could see it being either Smith or Trinity though. Trinity is basically the co lead of the latest movie, while Smith is the main antagonist of the original trilogy. Honestly, they could go with either. I could even see them doing both depending on how long this game goes on.

Abstain want

Nominating Dio Brando x 5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That’s a bold faced lie, and I have our pms about you derailing smash ultimate RTC to back up the fact you are lying. I was hoping for a new game you would have learned your lesson
and I’d have hoped you’d had learned that you were wrong about me but here we are

also the mod was clearly trying to end it so why are you carrying it on?

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Today we have another double day. Rate The Protagonist from Tenet, as well as Hanna-Barbera's Top Cat.

Some songs to get into the secret agent mood:

And here are some clips to get into the fancy cat mood:

A reminder that this is the last day of the schedule. Make those noms count.

D

Deleted member

Let's do the time warp.
Chance - 0%
Yeah I'm sorry but I just do not see this happening. Tenet came and went, and while it did well at the box office, it seems unlikely to be a franchise, as 1: Nolan prefers not to do those outside of Batman and 2: and most crucially, Nolan had a very public falling out with Warner Bros in 2020 over their day and date HBO Max release plan, leading to his upcoming Robert Oppenheimer biopic being produced and released by Universal, his first film not under Warner since Insomnia in 2002. If this game came out two or three years earlier, maybe I'd give this guy a higher rating for promotional purposes. But right now I don't see why WB would choose to promote a two year old non franchise film by a creative they no longer have a working relationship with. If we get any sort of Nolan inspired content it will probably just be Dark Knight trilogy skins for Batman and Joker.

Want- 5%
I didn't really like Tenet. I barely remember anything that happened in it. And this guy falls into the action movie protagnist (heh) with gun fighter archetype, and I think there are far more interesting picks there. However. I bumped his rating up a little since I think a moveset based around time manipulation could be pretty fun. Like Geras from Mortal Kombat 11 but in a platform fighter.

The most effectual Top Cat
Chance - 60%
Yeah I think there's a decent chance here. Top Cat is a pretty fondly remembered show who still gets referenced in stuff, he and his gang get a lot of screentime in the recent Jellystone (which is really great by the way). He also has huge international popularity, in Latin American countries and the UK especially. The show is so popular in Mexico that he got two theatrical films developed there. Only problem he has going against him is that there is a lot of competition for a (non Scooby Doo) Hanna-Barbera spot. He has to contend with the likes of Yogi Bear, Fred Flintstone, **** Dastardly, Hong Kong Phooey, Johnny Quest and more.

Want - 80%
I actually liked these cartoons growing up. I had a DVD boxset of episodes that I used to watch a lot. You could probably do a really creative moveset for him based around his various scemes. I like when they make movesets from characters who aren't traditionaly fighters. He could even summon members of his gang. I'm not crying out for him, but he's such a classic character in would be nice to see him here.

Noms to Samurai Jack

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Late Smith rating time
Chance: 40%
While Neo is the obvious first choice, I could see Smith happening not too long after. They're both pretty iconic characters from a well-known series and I could see them each having unique movesets.
Want: Abstain

Noms: K.O. x5

KillerCage

Smash Master
Day over.

Today we have another double day. Rate The Protagonist from Tenet, as well as Hanna-Barbera's Top Cat.

Some songs to get into the secret agent mood:

And here are some clips to get into the fancy cat mood:

A reminder that this is the last day of the schedule. Make those noms count.
Errgh...
I have nothing to say about these two.
I'm going to abstain on both.

My noms: The Winchester Brothers (Supernatural) x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I'm gonna let you all know now I'm gonna be quite busy the next couple days so the earliest that the day will change will be on Monday night. Which is ok considering there's been few ratings so far and it's a double day anyway so I'll give people time to come in and post their thoughts.

Agent Smith
Chance: 39.88%
Want: 78.33%

Noms List

100+

75-99
Dio Brando x85
Neo x80
Lola Bunny x75

50-74
Elie Williams x60
Maxwell x56
Pim and Charlie x55
Peanuts content x53

25-49
Samurai Jack x45
Fred Flintstone x45
K.O x45
Zatanna x35
Harry Potter x35
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
Deathstroke x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Rick Sanchez x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Citizen Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
The Winchester Brothers x10
Peacemaker x10
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The tenets of speculation can often change dramatically

Chance: 1%
The Protagonist (yes that's his actual name, there are reasons for that) is the, er, main character of the 2020 movie Tenet. An FBI agent who finds himself thrust into a twilight world of espionage, he becomes a spy for the ultrasecret organization Tenet and fights a threat which just might be the future itself.

Christopher Nolan is one of the greatest living filmmakers, I think that's not a controversial statement to make. His name itself is a brand, to the point where he's allowed to make mega-budget, hyper personal and stylized blockbusters with no previous IPs. And lo and behold, all but two of his movies were for Warner Bros. Nolan made the studio his home and they in return reaped the rewards (both box office, critical acclaim, and the reputation as a filmmaker's studio that afforded them). It makes sense, then, that they'd want to promote that through one of his movies in MultiVersus. Now, the obvious choice would be Inception, Nolan's signature movie, but I'm of the mind that Tenet's Protagonist, with his ability to invert the entropy of objects and even himself, translates better to a fighting game than Inception's Cobb, who's just a normal thief in an abnormal world. I believe Nolan himself would agree, as in interviews he gave before his appearance at The Game Awards (!) he expressed openness to the idea of a videogame based on one of his movies and said Tenet probably fits the genre best.

...too bad that Nolan and WB had a very, very public falling out, huh? Yeah, last year, Warner Bros' plan to release every movie day and date on HBO Max (which was moronic without hindsight, and turned out to be catastrophic for most movies involved) irked Nolan, famous defender of the theatrical experience, to the point where he went out on an interview calling out the heads at WB and calling HBO Max "the worst streaming service" - and that plan didn't even affect his movies! Fast-forward a few months, and his follow-up to Tenet, Oppenheimer, is full-steam ahead at Universal. Given the treatment Uni is giving to that movie (landing it a summer release date, reportedly a 100+ day theatrical window, casting every actor under the sun in it) it's likely that Chris will be pleased and choose to make Uni his new home. Universal! Home of the Minions and Christopher Nolan. What a timeline we're living in eh?

Now for the record, while Nolan produces all his movies under his Syncopy banner, I'm pretty sure it's not a Legendary/Village situation and WB outright owns the IP, so they could go without him. And it's not like he completely cut ties, he's still producing Westworld, an HBO show created by his brother and sister-in-law. Buuut at the end of the day, I doubt they'd want to flaunt Nolan when they don't have Nolan anymore, and without that factor, it's not like his movies lend themselves to a platform fighter crossover by themselves. WB probably prefers to use those resources to prop up my boy Denis Villeneuve, who they're clearly grooming to be their next Nolan ("listen Denis, give us a Dune trilogy and then you can make anything you want for the rest of your life, please").

Now that I think about it, they could just pay Christian Bale a lot of money and make a TDK skin for Batman. That's your Nolan rep.

Get ready for me gushing about Tenet and Nolan. Also spoilers.

I am a big fan. You could probably tell by the fact that this was the third character I thought to nominate. Anyway, with Tenet, we got a badass American Bond with the smooth as ice Protagonist, in a paranoid, everything-is-need-to-know spy thriller in the first half, only for Nolan to literally flip it around and send the Protagonist spinning backwards in time and through the first half of the movie (freaking car chases in reverse! Palindromic fight scenes! Wtf Nolan) only to end in a finale centering on three characters, one of which is in a different location and another going backwards in time, and still have it all make sense. In terms of technique, bravo, just conceiving it must have taken years and every element - writing, editing, shooting, stunts, effects - is in top-notch form. But I also really took to the story and themes, from the eco-friendly goals of the faceless villains (how can the motives of a group that has no characters show up make sense?), to Neil's personification of the belief that a deterministic universe is not one without free will, to the meta narrative regarding the Protagonist's lack of agency, both because he's an agent for a larger organization, because he's in a universe where the future is unknown but set, and because he's a character in a linear medium, film; leading up to the point where his arc concludes with a reaffirmation of his lost agency, ceasing to be a protagonist and becoming The protagonist of his story. There are many ways to read the movie and, well, I like that. Plus it has a real plane exploding and a cool opera sequence done in one take and a high-speed heist, I'm not made of stone.

It has been a hectic couple of days and so my write-up is kind of rambly, it might not make sense to everyone (kinda like Tenet!). But bottom line, is Tenet the best Nolan movie? Nah. But it's hella good and you should watch it and also Protagonist for MultiVersus because he has the most obvious reflector ever c'mon guys.

Oh yeah Top Cat!

Chance: 10%
I'm not actually sure how big (or not big at all) Top Cat is in the US or other parts of the world. What I can tell you is that Top Cat is the **** in Latin America. Like, bigger than several Looney Tunes. I haven't yet met a person over the age of 35 who can't do an imitation of Top Cat or one of his gang. There was a CGI animated movie, we freaking made it, they even made a prequel, both were theatrical releases here and were hits.

With that in mind, I can't really have an objective viewpoint regarding Top Cat in general aside from the knowledge that he's not as big elsewhere. Except the UK because Wikipedia notes him being big there. So my overall summation is that Top Cat will probably make it in eventually because there is a huge audience for him, but he probably won't be a priority.

Want : 75%
Sure, I like gang cat. He's got swagger.

Noms go to Peacemaker

amageish

Smash Master
Protagonist (Tenet)

Chance: 1%. We're back to the big question of what the purpose of this game is. If part of the goal is to highlight Warner Bros' catalogue as a uniform thing, then they're probably not going to highlight the parts of the Warner Bros catalogue that are made by people with public falling outs with them, as Darkonedagger and GoodGrief point out. There's also the continued problem of the roster thus far either being super-modern or evergreen characters - and while Tenet is technically more modern then Steven Universe, I feel like movies come and go way faster then TV series which persist over long periods of time via reruns? There's also a fair amount of competition among other science-fiction/action heroes and from Nolan's ambigiously-likely-for-inclusion catalogue.

That said, it's still a beloved film and I don't think it is entirely impossible... Just definitely a situation where the deck is stacked against the movie.

Want: 90%. I feel like I'd ultimately enjoy this character! Tenet was a thought-provoking film and I could see it being adapted into an interesting moveset. I don't think I'd be jumping for you if it happened, but it'd be a cool pick and I'd be curious to see how they pull it off.

I'd also be funny to see the social media reactions to "Protagonist" being revealed; I recall some confusion over Ayra as the Tweet about her just said "A girl joins the battle" and I imagine this would be that, but more confusion...

Top Cat

Chance: 75%. I think this feline is fairly likely, as another "If the game lasts a long time without overly expanding its focus to be a Fortnite-esque anything-goes crossover, then it's really a matter of time" situation. There's a lot of Hanna-Barbera IPs that could out-prioritze him, but he's a character that continues to get content - seemingly a lot of content - and so he meets the "evergreen Warner cartoon" criteria that seems to be getting a fair amount of content in the game. The IP is apparently huge in certain regions and it is no stranger to crossovers with other Warner IPs...

1647197827799.png

Now I can (and probably will) do this kind of crossover collection on any Hanna-Barbera day, but the point is: Top Cat is beloved, evergreen, and has met a fair amount of the roster already through crossovers. He's missing the base roster, but with time... He seems likely to me!

Want: 60%. So, I... hadn't heard of Top Cat until this thread? He was in Harvey Birdman, so I must have seen him at some point, but my brain never registered Top Cat as "Oh, that's a character from his own shows" but just "That is a cat with a hat." That said, I'm nothing if not suceptable to peer pressure, so I seaked out some Top Cat content for this rating and... Yeah, I can see why people like him! I'm not dying to see him in the game or anything, but that's a cool cat.

Noms: All on Ellie

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The most original name ever

Chance: 10%

I'll be kind and give him a slightly higher score due to the fact that Tenet is a recent film and did well at the box office which makes me think that Warner Bros may consider him. But the fact that they had an open fallout with Christopher Nolan gives me pause. Although I don't think it was that ugly of a fallout since as GoodGrief mentioned, he's still involved in a show for HBO Max and Nolan himself is legendary so it's not out of the question that The Protagonist would be picked. My main issue is that if he were to be added, it would have to happen sooner rather than later. There is still a lot of movie series like The Matrix that will most certainly come first, and due to the falling out with Nolan Tenet probably won't get any kind of successor material. So the main thing going for it (relevancy) will quickly dwindle.

Want: 50%

GoodGrief and Amageish's writeups did get me sold on the movie. I've never heard of Tenet before it was nominated, but it sounds like a brilliant movie. With that said, I do think I actually have to watch the movie for me to know if I would want this character in MultiVersus so I'm going with the neutral stance for this one.

A snarky cat huh? I wonder if him and Nia would get along.

Chance: 35%

Yeah I'm quite confident in this one. While Top Cat's show only got one season, it's apparently quite big in Latin America, pretty dam big in fact. Top Cat himself has appeared in various Hanna Barbera cartoons throughout the years and appears in the recent Jellystone. Heck, he even got two movies (Albeit they were poorly received). So he's got a decent resume, but the important question to ask is: Will Warner Bros try to appeal different countries? If so, then Top Cat would be a splendid way of getting the attention of Latin Americans. If not, then well his chances are still decent, just not that high.

So in other words, Top Cat is a darkhorse pick. In fact I'm going to make a somewhat crazy claim and call him the Terry Bogard equivalent for MultiVersus. He's got decent popularity in multiple countries, but also a particularly large fanbase in a specific part of the world. If they want to appeal to different demographics, then Top Cat's chances shoot up.

Want: 55%

Honestly I didn't grow up with Top Cat's show like I did with some other Hanna Barbera offerings. I watched some clips and while I can't get into the show itself, Top Cat himself is hilariously snarky and I can see his appeal. So while I do want other characters from the same company, I would welcome him.

Noms:
Neo x5
Harry Potter x10

Day over.

Rate Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Some videos to get into the JoJo mood:

THESE CHARACTERS ARE NOW LOCKED DOWN. NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE NULL & VOID.
Day 29 - Dio Brando (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Day 30 - Neo (The Matrix)
Day 31 - Ellie Williams (The Last of Us)
Day 32 - Lola Bunny (Looney Tunes)
Day 33 - Samurai Jack
Day 34 - Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
Day 35 - Pim and Charlie (Smiling Friends)

The Protagonist

Chance: 3%
Want: 61.25%

Top Cat
Chance: 45%
Want: 67.5%

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74
Peanuts content x53

25-49
Fred Flintstone x45
K.O x45
Harry Potter x45
Zatanna x35
John Constantine x30
Doomsday x30
Peacemaker x30
Deathstroke x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Rick Sanchez x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
The Winchester Brothers x15
Citizen Kane x11
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Powerpuff Girls x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Kuroyukihime x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Abstain on Dio, every time people start talking about Jojo I feel like I'm drowning in references I don't get.

Noms to Peacemaker

D

Deleted member

It_Was_Me__Dio!.jpg

"You thought this was an ordinary Multiversus Rate Their Chances day? Too Bad! It Was Me, Dio!"

Chance - 15%
This is an interesting one. The devs have heavily implied we will be seeing characters who aren't directly Warner characters show up on the roster, and there is a lot of demand for a Jojo character, due to Warner Japan holding the distribution rights for the anime and putting out the live action film from a few years ago. However, if a Jojo character where to get in it would likely be Jotaro, as the protagnist (of the most popular part anyway), and the character i see mentioned most in the context of this game. Could he and Dio get in as a package deal? It's possible, Dio is hands down the most iconic and recognizable Jojo character outside of the titular Jojos themselves. Personally though I'm not completely sold on the chances us getting a Jojo rep. WB only own certain distribution rights, and major Japanese companies like Shueisha, who own Shonen Jump and thus Jojo, can be a pain to work with. I don't know if WB overall would feel like it was worthwhile, but if they really want to appeal to fan demand then there's a chance, though i think we'd get Jotaro instead.

Want - 80%
Yeah. Dio rocks. I do like Jojo a fair bit, and there's no denying that the time stopping road rollering mad Vampire would have a crazy fun moveset. I want this game's roster to be as varied as possible, and that includes anime characters. Part of me wants Jotaro a little more, but I'd be extremely happy with both. Muda Muda Muda.

Noms to Mad Max

amageish

Smash Master
Dio

Chance: 10%. So, this feels like the kind of character that would fit Multiversus! Dio has a good blend of unironic fandom for him as a character and ironic fandom that transcends actual JoJo viewers as a meme. He's perfectly fit for a fighting game and could bring some unique mechanics to the roster. His voicelines and interactions could be legendary. Lots of potential!!!

The big question here is... Is this legally possible? Does Namco own the exclusive gaming rights for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? In 2009, Namco acquired the exclusive rights to Dragon Ball games in North America, hence why every game using that IP is either developed by or published by Bandai Namco. Has this deal since been extended to all Shonen Jump IPs? There are articles that say so, but they all point back to this 2020 article translating an interview in V Jump about a dedicated Shonen Jump team at Namco, which doesn't inherently mean they own the exclusive rights to every Shonen Jump IP. That said, it does seem like they have at least published every Shonen Jump game in recent years, which could point to it being true? If anyone can find a definitive source on this, please share it...

For now, I honestly do not know if Multiversus would have to get Bandai Namco on-board to add a JoJo character (though they unquestionably would have to for Goku, so RIP that), so I'm not going to give a 0% off of speculation about who may own the rights to the IP based on second-hand accounts... but this definitely makes me skeptical.

Want: 80%. Taken as his own thing, Dio in a platform fighter would be pretty hype! Cool character with cool moveset potential. Hopefully they'd keep the memes to a reasonable level.

Noms to the Winchester Brothers

Top Bottom