• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate plz!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
what a nasty matchup, fox at FD ><

good **** son, good movement. always jumpin and projectile...ing... yeah not a verb lol. good momentum and all that. upload some more if you can.

I'm pretty bad at critiques and stuff but you seem pretty good. I would have done the same stuff, or tried to, in most of those situations. good stuff.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
thx a lot, i really like using Ylink on hard matchups, like vs marth, fox, or falcon
falco and sheik are too annoying xD

rhan

Smash Hero
Critque:

-What I noticed right in the begining of the match is that the Fox high hops often. Easy intercept with the Uair.
-Uair from edge is always good to do on heavy characters.
-Bair as on on-stage edge guard is bad. Against the spacies try to Nair/Bair them off stage. But on-stage edge gaurding consists of D-Tilt/D-Smash (If the opponent fails to sweet spot) or edge refreshing into a Nair edge hop. That way you'll keep your invincibility if you're fast enough and as an added bonus you'll hit them back away from the stage.
-Good F-Tilt edge guard. Didn't see it comming really.
-Good call on the grab. But throw heavy characters either up (at low %'s) or down (at high %'s). This way you can follow up with a move or tech follow grabs.
-Good try on the Nair drop. If they're that low it's best to just try on-stage edge guarding. At least you're brave enough to go for that though. :)
-@ 1:19 - 1:30 ish. Good stuff. You threw up into a D-Smash which was great, then kept him on the ropes with that shield pressure. But when the Fox retured he missed the shine and set him self up for failure. He could have had a better chance on killing you with a D-Smash edge guard.
-Yeah that was ugly. Fox's easy edge guard against us Young Link's is CC hits at the edge into a shine. I hate it so much.
-Good call on the grab again. But another throw forward? I'm guessing you like doing it by now, but when you throw forward or back there isn't anything to really follow up with.
-Ah so he's a tech-er. Good try on the D-Tilt meteors. Once you fail once with that then try D-Smash insted. It has more power behind it so it'll send them outward insted of down. Being sent down gives them the option to DI towards the stage and tech. Outward makes it harder for them to recover.
-From what I saw out of all his techs is that you have a semi solid edge gaurding plan. Add some Nairs in there and it should wreck his face.
-He's pissed. Starting to shine a lot. At this moment I would spam Nair if he wants to spam shines. That way there is a decent chance of knocking him off his game.
-You really know how to call grabs.
-Up throw rawkz. Good follow up with the dash attack.
-That's a stock. DO you know about "tumble" canceling? If you're in the tumbling state then you can hit left then right (or vice versa) to go into your falling state. Then out of that you have the option to air dodge into hookshot towards the stage. I believe that there would have been a better chance on surviving insted of Up B. Good try though.
-You missed the L cancel on the second Uair and it left you open for him to take control. You have to hit every L cancel. Low tiers can't afford to make mistakes.
-That was just one of those Nairs where you scream "SCREW YOU". I love it.
-What a way to go out....

Overall. You're pretty good. I'd rate 6.5/10.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
That's a pretty aggressive Fox. Learn to dash dance out of the range of his SHFFL'ed nairs and then SH bair into him as he lands (do this until he starts crouch cancelling). A bair at low percents will put Fox on the ground. AS SOON as he hits the ground (assuming he doesn't tech), neutral a (jab) him. He will be forced to get up, and you can grab him (thunders combo). Or, at higher percents, instead of SH bair, SH away into a boomerang. The stun from it should last long enough for you to turn around and nair him. Then edgeguard with dsmash/ftilt.

Wavedash back into grab is also good. Better than trying to shield grab, which doesn't work on Fox.

You seem to get on a roll once you get a grab. Like rhan said, uthrow/dthrow depending on Fox's percent.

Another thing that's good on fastfallers: Crouch cancel to dtilt. They will pop up but quickly hit the ground. If they tech, just techchase to grab. If they don't, dsmash them as they're lying down.

That's all I can think of. Upload more matches!

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
thyx a lot for the comments n_n
first of all, the thingy with the Fthrow is just my stupidity with fingers, i really find almost useless Ylink's Fthrow.... it doesn't even have nice knockback x_x
ill try thunder's on fox, seems a pretty nice idea, my tipical defense is jump backwards with boomerang to try and start a combo if it hits hard (when the enemy is near), but DD to bair seems nice too since it has good priority and little lag

yeah, i know tumble cancel, but Ylinks HS is really REALLY short, im almost sure i wouldnt get the shot if i tried.

about CC to Dtilt....mmm, Dtilt has so much startup lag :S, i would prefer Dsmash, but against a Drill->shine, it doesn't even work, but if he's nairing i would try that :)

ill try more tech chase

hey!! those Bairs were awesome!, look on 1.52, i got him to fire fox on very low percentages xD and if it wasn't because he teched perfectly....i almost killed him xD
but i see that going off stage with bair is bad ;)
ill try and go again to his home and record against marth and other chars ;)

rhan

Smash Hero
thyx a lot for the comments n_n
first of all, the thingy with the Fthrow is just my stupidity with fingers, i really find almost useless Ylink's Fthrow.... it doesn't even have nice knockback x_x
ill try thunder's on fox, seems a pretty nice idea, my tipical defense is jump backwards with boomerang to try and start a combo if it hits hard (when the enemy is near), but DD to bair seems nice too since it has good priority and little lag
At least it wasn't on purpose. That makes everything better.

yeah, i know tumble cancel, but Ylinks HS is really REALLY short, im almost sure i wouldnt get the shot if i tried.
That's why when you air dodge towards the stage it helps that recovery excell better.

hey!! those Bairs were awesome!, look on 1.52, i got him to fire fox on very low percentages xD and if it wasn't because he teched perfectly....i almost killed him xD
but i see that going off stage with bair is bad ;)
ill try and go again to his home and record against marth and other chars ;)
More videos are always nice. :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I changed my mind about bair. It doesn't put Fox on the ground at any percent. Utilt (at low percents) and dtilt (at any percent) do (if he doesn't tech). Watch out for missed techs because you get a free dsmash.

Yea you're right. CC dtilt can be slow. There are a variety of ways to use it though. Dash to dash-cancelled dtilt. Wavedash back dtilt. Jab dtilt sometimes works. I like dtilt because it actually can be used to start tech chase combos on fast fallers, and it combos into kill moves (dair/uair) at high percents on floaties (although utilt/usmash can also get the job done).

Usually dsmash is better though. :)

On Fox.

Do you tech chase with dash attack?

It's nice because you can dash dance when you know your opponent will tech, and, depending on which way they do tech (thanks to y.link's fast dash) you can follow up with dash attack to get Fox offstage.

;)

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i dd to dash attack sometimes, if he's on enough percent, if not, i'll dd to grab and try to start a combo with Uthrow (if its a fast faller) or Dthrow (floaties)
and yeah, his dash is really fast and nice to tech chase, but i find it really hard....as you can see even fox itself has problem tech-chasing a fox, the only one who can really do it a little better is falcon beacuse he is the FASTEST char in the game xD
but since Ylink has little more grab range and has high speed it can be done if you predict well ;)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
yeah, i dd to dash attack sometimes, if he's on enough percent, if not, i'll dd to grab and try to start a combo with Uthrow (if its a fast faller) or Dthrow (floaties)
and yeah, his dash is really fast and nice to tech chase, but i find it really hard....as you can see even fox itself has problem tech-chasing a fox, the only one who can really do it a little better is falcon beacuse he is the FASTEST char in the game xD
but since Ylink has little more grab range and has high speed it can be done if you predict well ;)
Well, Sheik and Marth can tech chase Fox pretty easily. If YL had a faster grab, he could probably tech chase as well.

rhan

Smash Hero
Young Link's tech chasing is so much fun and it easily fustrates anyone who gets caught in it. What's more fun than pissing people off with a low tier?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Tech chasing is fun near the edge because if they don't tech the down throw, they get dsmashed > edgeguard, and if they tech away, you just walk slightly in and regrab :)

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
hey, i got a tourney on saturday and one guy uses VERY very well the IC
i tend to play all the tourney (since it's a small one) with Y.Link
any tips on the matchup? maybe boomerang isnt that good, if nana protects popo, how to approach? how to edgeguard xd? i think i've never played the matchup xD

rhan

Smash Hero
-Nair spam.
-Don't get grabbed.
-I usually go for Nana first.
-Don't get grabbed.
-Bombs.
-Don't grab if Nana is still on the field.
-D-smash edge guard.
-Don't get grabbed.
-BOMB SPAM!
-NAIR SPAM!
-Don't get Z tossed.

I play IC's a little bit. I know most of thier dammage consist with them together. IC's main killing move is D-smash. If they grab you that's GG if their grabs are retardedly crazy.Usually they don't rely on Z tossing but it can result in a infinite if they are quick on catching on where Nana will throw the opponent. Basically stay away. IC's are light. You can Uair them to kill as well as Dair. But Dairs are rather risky in that matchup because if you miss it'll leave you widely open for grab/D-smash. If you can catch IC's is weakest in the air. Not many options. You can just Uair and keep that up. To edge guard it's rather difficult at times. If they Up B, Popo get's a great virtical climb. Since he's vunerable then Dair him. Beware. If they up B just right so Nana can still make it she turns into a projectile. It will knock you off guard allowing Popo to come back with ease. Second way they can recover is using the side B. They can cover a good deal of vertical recover together and great horizontal recover together. If Popo is alone these recoverys get worse. Alone Popo can't up B, and the side B recovery's virtical recover doesn't go anywhere and the horizontal becomes about 1/3 of final. Bombs usually screws up anything. If they bounce of a shield catch them and rethrow them. Keep a bomb on you at all times.

Ok brain hurts. I'll answer a question one by one next time insted of ramble.....

Top Bottom