• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my younger bro's Kirby

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Fun matches. Your bro's Kirby plays with confidence and is well practiced. The jab to tilt combos worked quite well, but Samus should know that those are easily countered with crouch canceling. After a crouch cancel, Samus' d-tilt, d-smash or f-smash can cause Kirby lot of grief.

What Samus does best against Kirby is landing-canceled missiles while at a distance, which forces Kirby to eventually approach. From there Samus can put up a blockade of higher priority attacks, such as n-air, tilts, and smashes which Kirby must get around. This is effective because Samus' attacks will be far more effective when they land than Kirby's would, especially since in this position it's hard for him to get strong attacks (u-air) or combo starters (u-tilt).

Due to her low hitstun and heavy weight, Kirby won't be able to string many hits on Samus nor kill her easily. Your brother did a good job getting Samus over the edge and actively pursued her for the KO, especially at the end of Kongo Jungle where he did the "Pac-Man" technique (gobbling up her bombs).

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
You both played very well. I am impressed. He played very confidently like timmy said and very offensively. I have nothing else to say.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Yea I use to do that on him all the time but he found away around it with falling uair and fairs cause they knock me to far back to counter with a down tilt or down smash attack. Check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVjbjkLHsN4&mode=related&search=

Around 0:43 or so after my first counter of his air attacks he changes up and uses moves that he knows will knock me out of his distance. I still won the match but it was good match anyways :)

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Well you actually did crouch cancel a few times but they were all d tilts I believe which isn't very strong. What I meant to say was that he never countered your crouch cancel throughout the match. You missed the crouch cancel at :42 and at the very end. If you attack while crouching and then you get hit while attacking then you will still be hit farther than if you were CC. (Almost as far as if you were standing) You have to get hit first while crouching and then counter the attack. Kirby cannot counter the Samus's CC unless Kirby hits her with an aerial and then l cancels and shields imediately, or maybe spotdodging. At around 60-70% and above the Uair can start to knock her down and Bair at around 80-90% and above. Or you could SH Fair and DI back. Or you could do a rising Bair. Or you could grab. At the lower percents though she can take the hit and counter you. Trading hits is never a good thing for a kirby player especially against a character like samus who is very hard to KO.

And I would always ban poke stadium in a tournament especially against Samus for obvious reasons. I just will not play that stage. He still did good though especially dodging those missiles at 2:55. Ja ja.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Why would you ban Pokemon Stadium? If it's because of platform-canceling missiles, that's not so bad. Dodging or destroying the missiles is fairly basic, the hard part is when you get close to Samus. Besides, Samus can platform cancel on any neutral stage except FD of course, and at least the stage changes so the platforms aren't always in the same spot.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Well the reason I ban poke stadium is cause when the stage changes into the rock I always get destroyed. If your on the side to the left of the rock then you are just a sitting duck for opponents like fox or falco. and if you are on the other side then Marth gets a free easy kill. those platforms really help him as he just keeps his distance and attacking through them while they hinder your movement. Vs. fox and falco they move through the stage and platforms so quickly while those weirdly placed platforms hinder kirby. It just makes him a sitting duck. Then again I really don't play that stage cause of my bad experiences in it. I prefer FD and those 2 DK stages that you mentoined before are good. How do you destroy the missiles? Cause if its with the Bair then while you go to destroy the missile the samus just jumps and charge beams you. And if you are close then its even worse.

Top Bottom