• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my ****ty gen V team

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Alright guys, so this is my very first team I've made without the help of Smogon except for Magnezone's set. Please cut me some slack, as you guys know I suck at competitive battling so yeah....

Sableye (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -HP)
- Pain Split
- Confuse Ray
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

So Sableye. This gen it gets Mischievous Heart making it a great Anti-Lead. Just come in, use Fake Out, Taunt, then use Confuse Ray if I haven't died yet and I guess that's it for Sableye

Kerudio @ Leftovers
Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Alright, Kerudio. The pony I decided to build my team around on. So alright then. I can come in on a pokemon if my prediction powers work, I can put in a free Calm Mind while my opponent switches out. Surf and Close Combat for STAB and HP Electric are for other water types that I switch into in case Jaroda is dead.

Shanderaa (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Man this Shanderaa (the chandelier) set. It instantly makes any Choiced normal and fighting pokemon (Choice Scarf'd Kojondo for example) unviable. When it comes in on a pokemon like that, I set up sub, and Calm Mind till the cows come home. Then I can simply **** the team if I'm able to do that and the lol part about it is that Shadow Tag doesn't allow the pokemon I'm CMing to switch out. Now if I come in on a normal pokemon, it's to either attempt to take out Jaroda (which doesn't go out in a OHKO thankfully) or another Shanderaa.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Dragon Pulse

This Heatran. Heatran is my answer to Jaroda and flying types. If you have noticed, Jaroda can come in and start using it's ****ed Perversity to mess with my team. At least if I use Heatran, it resists Jaroda thankfully and hopefully take it out before it takes out Heatran. Now, as for other flying types. Flying types can wreck my ENTIRE team without Magnezone. Sableye will die in a 2HKO if it's facing another lead due to it's Focus Sash. The pony dies in a OHKO due to it's part fighting type status. Shanderaa won't die in a OHKO, but it won't end up killing the flying type (especially if it's the rock bird). Jaroda will end up dying due to it being grass and Agirudaa (the knight bug) will end up dying BECAUSE it's a bug type.

Jaroda (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Perversity
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 232 Spd
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Jaroda (aka Smuglord). God is this thing such a ****ing headache when I face one. Smuglord can come in and wreck havoc on the opponent due to it's Perversity. Due to Perversity, every time I do Leaf Storm, instead of going down 2 stages in my SpA, I go up 2 stages UP. That with the combo of Leech Seed to have a steady flow of HP regained each turn, I can destroy an entire team with him if they aren't prepared

Agirudaa (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Focus Blast

Agirudaa is my other answer to Smuglord. Now due to this pokemon's high speed, I can out run a Smuglord and use Bug Buzz to KO it. Now, when I first made this team, it had a VERY HUGE WEAKNESS to Shanderaa, especially since it had Kojondo at first. To also respond to that, I gave Agirudaa BP so I can safely switch out of Shanderaa to another pokemon (hopefully the pony if it's still alive) to KO Shanderaa.

Alright as you guys can see, my team still sucks after fixing it up so much. Please, I know it sucks because I made the stats myself and I know I'm bad at competitive battling. Now, I could either scrap this team entirely, or I could post it ans see if people could suggest some improvements to it. I chose the latter to see if there's still salvation for this failing team.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Sableye: i like the concept, but I worry about his overall...frailty. Try giving him Pain Split over Fake Out and Will-o-wisp over Confuse Ray just because you'll outspeed everything else to the Taunt and Pain Split lets him come in later to drain health off of some wall later on or to weaken a fast sweeper. 0 HP IV gives you extra mileage with Pain Split, so try that too.

Pony: I don't like running CC on a boosting set like that even though it lets you deal with Blissey since you can use Shanderra to trap it if you run into it. Water/Electric gives pretty good coverage, but try a special fighting move over CC, I think it'll do a lot of good.

Chandeliermon: I think he's going to be very predictable soon, but he does his job well, good set.

Magnezone: Surprised to see him here actually when Heatran with HP Electric can do a lot of what you're trying to do. I'd suggest a regular scarftran here.

Jaroda: Everybody is riding this thing's massive **** but I don't really see the point of it. HP Ground is probably a good coverage option here that I'd prefer just so fire types don't walk all over you like they would after pony is out of the way.

Weird fire/bug: Why not run Butterfly Dance over Sludge Bomb? Especially with BP it would make pony a lot more threatening, and Sludge bomb isn't helping deal with Shanderra or giving good coverage.

Overall: This team is weak to a lot of setup Pokes. Sableye oddly enough is a great defense against them (assuming luck is on your side with Will-o-wisp). Fire-types will also give you a lot of problems if they eliminate your calm minding pony (or hit him with a coverage move). You're also VERY weak to flying, although I don't know any new mons who can exploit their flying typing very well.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Agirudaa (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Focus Blast
Why are you running a +Atk nature when you have no physical attacks?

Change it to Modest or Timid.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Why are you running a +Atk nature when you have no physical attacks?

Change it to Modest or Timid.
lol definitely this.

It doesn't even have any physical moves...and it has 252 atk EVs? I didn't notice that either :laugh:

Make it Timid. Speed is going to be the defining factor of this metagame.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
:urg:

I accidentally gave it a +att Nature. Thanks for pointing that out.

And thanks for the advice kirby

EDIT:

Agirudaa doesn't learn Butterfly Dance

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
How often do you actually use Shadow Claw on Sableye? Do you actually do much damage when you do?

The main reason I'm asking is because it seems odd to me that you'd use such a move on something as slow, weak, and naturally frail as Sableye when you could use Shadow Sneak instead. You'll do less damage when you hit, but you'll be likely to hit more often when you're forced to. This change also lets you invest all your Speed EVs to HP because your lead relies entirely on priority. This makes Sableye just a tiny bit more stable. Shadow Sneak > Shadow Claw just seems like a better option overall tbh.

Along with this, I'd also like you to at least consider changing Taunt to WoW. I know it sounds weird to get rid of Taunt on a lead that's supposed to stop things from setting up, but Confuse Ray is stopping them half the time anyway. Plus it potentially stops opposing anti-leads from immediately breaking your Sash, which means it would probably be a better idea, at least for this stage in the metagame, to get rid of the prediction and just fire off the Confuse Ray right away. Adding WoW into the mix then lets you wear down opposing leads in a more timely manner, and helps keep Sableye alive longer while also suppporting your teammates. Shanderaa especially would benefit from the burn support. I don't actually think your team needs Taunt support of any kind anyway, tbh. Kerudio I'd imagine does a good job of murdering stall, and the only thing your team really needs to stop in regards to entry hazards are Toxic Spikes, which won't be found on many leads thanks to the existence of the Rosus. I guess Spikes could be bad too, but most users of Spikes also fear the Rosus, and thus won't be seen at the lead position much.

I also advise testing kirby's Pain Split suggestion over Fake Out with the changes I'm giving. I basically stole this concept from LC Duskull, which I know for a fact can work beautifully. Your lack of any sort of recovery, however, is a let-down. Thus, Pain Split is a nice idea for an addition.

Oh, and Adamant is +Atk, -SAtk. Fix that typo on Sableye. :)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh, oh, Sableye gets Knock Off. Hit stuff on the switch and make them cry.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hey guys Sableye is the only Mischievous Heart Pokemon with Access to Fake Out.

That's like sorta the reason to use him.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
But Fake Out sucks.

...mostly.

Sash leads are going to be a lot less common considering that they can be defeated with other priority/means.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nothing else has Mischievous Heart Fake Out + Taunt.

That's the reason why the set ever came up in the first place, and thus, why Fuel Picked it up and used it himself.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Why must everyone assume I bandwagon? It was even at one of your suggestions for another one of my teams to use Anti-Lead Sableye

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Ehhh.... what do I replace with knock off?

And I've updated the OP as well...
You'd put it in over Shadow Sneak, in the event that Wave was actually being serious.

The sad part is that it wouldn't actually be that bad of an idea, whether he was being serious or not. Knock Off has such a ****ty base power, especially mixed with Sableye's mediocre Attack stat, that you could take your Attack EVs and put them in your defensive stats (probably SDef), and then change your nature to complement the defense you chose to put the majority of your EVs in. You'd then be running an annoyer support lead that actually has a chance of being valid, which I'm pretty sure hasn't existed before. Stall definitely wouldn't like you. Not like stall likes much of anything this gen...but still.

I actually want to test this now to see if it has any chance of working. Shame shame that Machamp's Pants are down (I'm not going to the test server, **** you).

Top Bottom