• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Sonic!

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
-shielding too much makes you easy to grab.
-You need to chase him off the stage and gimp recovery. You passed up countless opportunities for an easy KO but just stood there waiting instead. there was one time when you tried to gimp him with the springboard, which was good even though he avoided it.
-don't use dair or nair so much. Dair leaves you vulnerable if you're not high enough and Nair isn't effective. use uair, fair and bair more.
-use spin charge more and spin dash less. spin dash is good when you're facing the wrong way and the slight lift can be good for recovery, but it's a lot weaker and slower.
-That said, both spin dash and spin charge need to be used sparingly and only to lead into combos. You don't really combo much.
-Use the springboard as a projectile. It's very effective. you pulled it off maybe twice that I noticed.
-Learn when to use homing attack and when not to. Also, when you do use it you can actually reduce the lag in the beginning by tapping B twice (unless I'm on drugs).
-I know a lot of sonic players use dash attack way too often, you don't use it enough. Sonic's dash attack is SO fast most players don't have time to react, and you can juggle with it. And, once they begin to predict it they'll shield which is when you grab them, or if they prefer to jump out of the way just follow them with an aerial combo.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
-shielding too much makes you easy to grab.
-You need to chase him off the stage and gimp recovery. You passed up countless opportunities for an easy KO but just stood there waiting instead. there was one time when you tried to gimp him with the springboard, which was good even though he avoided it.
-don't use dair or nair so much. Dair leaves you vulnerable if you're not high enough and Nair isn't effective. use uair, fair and bair more.
-use spin charge more and spin dash less. spin dash is good when you're facing the wrong way and the slight lift can be good for recovery, but it's a lot weaker and slower.
-That said, both spin dash and spin charge need to be used sparingly and only to lead into combos. You don't really combo much.
-Use the springboard as a projectile. It's very effective. you pulled it off maybe twice that I noticed.
-Learn when to use homing attack and when not to. Also, when you do use it you can actually reduce the lag in the beginning by tapping B twice (unless I'm on drugs).
-I know a lot of sonic players use dash attack way too often, you don't use it enough. Sonic's dash attack is SO fast most players don't have time to react, and you can juggle with it. And, once they begin to predict it they'll shield which is when you grab them, or if they prefer to jump out of the way just follow them with an aerial combo.
I see what you're talking about.After watching it a gain I saw I passed up WAY too many chances off the stage.I'm not as confident in my air game as I should.I agreed on everything you said.I just need different people to play against on WiFi to the point where I can improve.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Dude I was kinda harsh, you did a lot right. You dodge WAY better than I do and you're a survivor. I bet you pwn face with other characters...the problem is your playing sonic like any other character. He's really different and REALLY hard to use. The only reason I decided to start using him is because everybody claims he sucks so I thought, heck, if I can cream them with sonic they can't make any excuses.
There were a couple times you did some awesome stuff. Go through and watch to see what you did right and try to repeat it.

dingadergen

Smash Rookie
You are pretty good at seeking the opponent out and racking up damage, but you keep doing something that a lot of people do.
You run up to them and do the dash attack, and when it fails you resort to grabbing. It may not hurt you much but I see you doing ^^^ that a lot.

P.S. It looked like you and the other person almost had the exact same fighting style so when I was watching I sometime lost track of whos who.:psycho:

Anyway, besides that you are a very good Sonic.:)

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone :).The only BIG thing I need to work on as I've said is my air game.There was many times when I could and should've pursued but just stood there.I just need to do that much better and do the little things to make me better with Sonic.

rushdown

Smash Rookie
Take this with a grain of salt since I've never done Sonic versus Sonic. But I feel like eight minutes took too long, I didn't even finish watching the video. I feel like you need to be more fast/deliberate about your motions. There were multiple opportunities where you just sort of stood around and did nothing. Or walked over. Sonic's all about speed and creating opportunity.

With more rush and more aerial chasing, I think you could have ended the match a lot quicker.

Edit: Okay, I saw the entire video. The fact that you didn't win is already a major downer. I know if I asked the public to rate me, I'd make **** sure this was a win for me. Also, early in the video, your use of dair was questionable. You used it when you were in such close contexts, and not as an attack. It almost looked like you were doing it for transit, which doesn't make sense in close quarters because there's lag.

Sometimes, it looked like I was supposed to focus on dNes, which means he had the superior style of play and was outshining you, when you were supposed to be the star of the video. He was much more aggressive about his aerials and mixing up his moves.

The thing you lack, which I touched on earlier, is a sense of urgency. You need to keep being where your opponent is to get those early smashes. I think the Sonic v Sonic thing contributes to the length of the video slightly, but it should still have been a more faster paced video.

You, 5/10. dNes, like 7/10.

Umby

Smash Master
I think a better rating could be done with Sonic vs another character. Two Sonics with a similar mind set might take about as long as a Jiggs ditto in Melee.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
Take this with a grain of salt since I've never done Sonic versus Sonic. But I feel like eight minutes took too long, I didn't even finish watching the video. I feel like you need to be more fast/deliberate about your motions. There were multiple opportunities where you just sort of stood around and did nothing. Or walked over. Sonic's all about speed and creating opportunity.

With more rush and more aerial chasing, I think you could have ended the match a lot quicker.

Edit: Okay, I saw the entire video. The fact that you didn't win is already a major downer. I know if I asked the public to rate me, I'd make **** sure this was a win for me. Also, early in the video, your use of dair was questionable. You used it when you were in such close contexts, and not as an attack. It almost looked like you were doing it for transit, which doesn't make sense in close quarters because there's lag.

Sometimes, it looked like I was supposed to focus on dNes, which means he had the superior style of play and was outshining you, when you were supposed to be the star of the video. He was much more aggressive about his aerials and mixing up his moves.

The thing you lack, which I touched on earlier, is a sense of urgency. You need to keep being where your opponent is to get those early smashes. I think the Sonic v Sonic thing contributes to the length of the video slightly, but it should still have been a more faster paced video.

You, 5/10. dNes, like 7/10.
Those are the two things I've been working on (air game and urgency).I would've made sure I won but I can't record matches if you read the first post.
I think a better rating could be done with Sonic vs another character. Two Sonics with a similar mind set might take about as long as a Jiggs ditto in Melee.
If I can find someone to record a match with me I'd hope they were another character so I can see how good I really am..

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Ok I was watching the DarkNess386 vids and realized that was one of them so I watched it again. it looks to me like he makes a lot of mistakes too, But if he's as good as people claim I applaud you. Also, I would like to note that at about 0:45 you pulled off an amazing combo, nearly had him too. check it out.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
Ok I was watching the DarkNess386 vids and realized that was one of them so I watched it again. it looks to me like he makes a lot of mistakes too, But if he's as good as people claim I applaud you. Also, I would like to note that at about 0:45 you pulled off an amazing combo, nearly had him too. check it out.
I was being comboed.I shot myself in the foot there.*face palm*

Top Bottom