• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my noobishness

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Several people have suffered emotionally when i got really critical of their playing. (thats sarcasm all of you wiseguys out there) This is your compensation. here are the links to two videos of me and my friend. Laugh it up, but no flaming, please.

Vid 1: I made some really stupid mistakes in this one (like a suicide in which i accidently pressed side-b instead of up-b) which is why the video is first on the list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLtPgl6gulc (this should appear as a link, but i don't know cuz these are my first vids)

vid 2: I didn't do too bad in this one i guess. Sporlo kept running into my tech attacks, which i laughed at him for later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yj1D6dyg4Q

these, as i mentioned are our first vids, so we don't know how to add sound (the camera didn't have a mic on it, which was good since my other friends were making fools of themselves.) Our apologies for anything else that we forgot or are too lazy to mention.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow that is the slowest match (with L cancelling) I have ever seen... (the 2nd one)

I dunno really, theres no adviceI can give you, you just need to learn more, and definatly do it at least 20 times faster.

WAYY to many counters. That should be a suprise move, not part of your repetoire.

WAYY to many forward smashes... charged? Wtf why.

Absolutly no shffling... at all. Shffl your nairs and fairs and combo your opponents.

I dunno man you just have to practice, thats it really. Play alll the time and itll beging to flow naturally and make sure to watch lots of pro matches too.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
we charge fsmashes 1. because we know we both do so no one has the c-stick advantage over the other and 2. because u can do it almost as fast if not as fast charged but be able to hold the attack for as long as we want to for the maximum strength available in the situation. Yes, i know that it won't work at higher level matches, but since i doubt we'll ever get that far, we don't really care.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
we charge fsmashes 1. because we know we both do so no one has the c-stick advantage over the other and 2. because u can do it almost as fast if not as fast charged but be able to hold the attack for as long as we want to for the maximum strength available in the situation. Yes, i know that it won't work at higher level matches, but since i doubt we'll ever get that far, we don't really care.
Well then I'm not giving you any more help, and I would advise anyone else doing so aswell.

Critique my playing, but hey I dont want to get better I just want tactics to beat my friend.

Forget you. :embarrass

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
1. WTF do you mean by that? You do know that if I ever play against you, I'll have the "cstick advantage" same with anyone else. There's nothing wrong with using the cstick..
2. It's not as fast to charge a smash as it is to just cstick one. It is possible to do an uncharged smash with A though.

pdk

Smash Lord
"i want to advance my playing... this far!"

brilliance

goateeguy

Smash Ace
ugh, that's not what i meant! its easy enough to fix my smashes if i need to, but while im playin a friendly id rather do it the other way! if i was actually going to go farther then no duh id fix it. but we don't need too yet.

Anyway, what about my sheik, and his people. he doesn't visit the boards much, so i have to tell him stuff.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
we charge fsmashes 1. because we know we both do so no one has the c-stick advantage over the other
You do realize that if both of you use the C-stick, neither of you will gain an advantage, right?

But you're right. In fact, I just realized that grenades are cheap in Halo 2 because it allows me to kill people faster then I should. I'm going to stop using them too. I have seen the light :urg:

EDIT: Well, I may as well also comment on the match. I didn't watch the second one, just the first (Shiek vs Yoshi). I find you roll too much. Shiek's roll is quick, and occasionally useful, it's true, but don't overdo it. Try to wavedash for space instead of rolling, that should cut down your use of it quite a lot.

Second big thing I noticed right away is too much fsmash, not enough dsmash. Shiek's dsmash is fantastic, hitting multiple times on both sides of her with a pretty absurd "straight out" trajectory. I'ts hard to punish in general, since you can't roll around it and you can't shieldgrab it too easily. Her fsmash, however, is the total opposite. Hits on one side of her, is laggy, is easily sheildgrabbed and dosn't have as much knockback anyway. Also, it's faily easy to CC the first hit and retaliate before the second one even lands. Try to use your dsmash off of throws instead of fsmash. Any time you would use your fsmash to advance on someone, a grab is always a better choice.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The movement was so slow and "I'm not going to move until I use an attack three times just to make sure I'm definitely out of range" that I got bored about one and a half minutes into the first game.

Best advice I can give, since you're not looking for specific advanced tech help, is learn to be more aggressive.

DALegendarySauce

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll give some advice for your marth.

1. sweet spot the edge

2. fthrow marth at low % and then fsmash him. he must DI away from you or he gets wrecked, I doubt your friend will do this for at least a few weeks.
If he does DI away and your fthrow puts him off the edge, then poke him (downA)

3. Downsmash and counter are bad moves, use sparringly
pokes and nairs and grabs are better

fthrow fsmash should work really well though in marth v. marth/peach

I didn't watch the first vid.

Kroy

Smash Apprentice
Where you'd least suspect. That's right you know.
First match - Wow, I forgot you could play that slowly. Though seriously, I don't think that would be a fair assessment of your ability since the way you put it seemed you were goofing off. I'll give ya'll credit for having patience though. I would have quit the game after a while.

Second match - You should watch some videos of Ken and do what he does. That should do fine for ya. General rule of advanced play - Only spam B attacks with one of the following names: Needles, Pills, Lasers, Missles, Bomb, Boomerang, Link's Up B, Pound, Turnip or Falcon Punch.

Also roll less.

There that should take your game to a never before seen level of awesomeness.

Off-hand I was kidding about spamming the Falcon Punch.

EDIT: Since you said you wanted me to rate your noobishness, and I frankly don't have anything better to do, I would give you a:

3 out of 10. Still debating whether that is a good thing or not.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Second big thing I noticed right away is too much fsmash, not enough dsmash. Shiek's dsmash is fantastic, hitting multiple times on both sides of her with a pretty absurd "straight out" trajectory. I'ts hard to punish in general, since you can't roll around it and you can't shieldgrab it too easily. Her fsmash, however, is the total opposite. Hits on one side of her, is laggy, is easily sheildgrabbed and dosn't have as much knockback anyway. Also, it's faily easy to CC the first hit and retaliate before the second one even lands. Try to use your dsmash off of throws instead of fsmash. Any time you would use your fsmash to advance on someone, a grab is always a better choice.
the lack of dsmashes in this vid is unusually high even for me. an fsmash did work pretty well once (emphasis on once) because he thought the first kick would put me in his range, but it didn't and he didn't get out of the way of the second one in time. im sure that's on the vid, i watched it like five times already. But i agree, i really should've dsmashed more.

BTW, which of Sheik's aers should i shffl? ive been trying them all, but she pulls them off really fast and i can't tell if mine match the ones i see in SSBM vids.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
You said you made this because you critizied people too badly in their videos..judging by your videos, you have no right what so ever to judge people. Sorry but its whole heartedly true, and you said "I don't care to get better" basicly yet you know the things to make other people better? Something doesn't add up..

rate your noobishness..hmm..sir, you posted the right videos for that.

Ten out of ten! *everyone cheers*

Oskurito

Smash Lord
More practice, learn advanced techs and master them, check out some guides at the character specific section.

TrageÐy ®

Smash Cadet
lmao
Like, WTF is that Marth duel
?

Both of them die the most idiotic ways. =/
Outta the two, the gleaming one is kinda good, decent, compared to the other one. =*

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
I only watched the first 30 or seconds of the first vid, so I probably am not going to be 100% accurate with what I say. But anyhoo.

1. AHHHHHHHHHH FSMASH! I can't belive how many F-Smashes i saw within those first 30 seconds. You didn't even use mindgamez -> Fsmash, which was why most of them missed entirely. (This would have got you ***** at higher level play).

2. You roll too much. I agree rolling IS a good tech, but only when used sparingly. After a while it gets predictable, and if your opponent got used to it they would just chase you down and hit ya' when your vulnerable. Try a WD for retreating, cuts down on lag and generally speeds things up.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You guys seem to be scared of each other or something, theres parts in both matches where you just sort of sit there waiting for the other guy to do something. when your both playing as marth theres no reason to wait, get in there and shffl his *** into oblivion. You can shffl right?

goateeguy

Smash Ace
just when i thought everone understood. I DO WANT TO GET BETTER, if i said it once ive said it enough. the reason i charged smashes instead of c-stick was because i was either 1. trying to do a tilt that went wrong or 2. because i knew that i could pull them off since he isnt exactly azen.

second, yes, i can shffl, but since the sound was off, you couldn't hear our friends coming in, demanding to know what we were doing, and more importantly why it required the TV, and so we spent a lot of time yelling at them to shut up and we weren't able to concentrate. i require perfect concentration for it or i screw myself monumentally.

third, thank you tragedy for giving me the biggest compliment ive received all day.

fourth, ARRGGG!!! WHY CAN'T ANYONE EVER UNDERSTAND WHAT I SAY WITHOUT DEMEANING THEIR INTELLIGENCE AND FORCING ME TO CORRECT THEM IM PUBLIC ONLY FOR THEM TO GET MAD AT ME LATER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

fifth, man that felt good.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, so you're charging smashes because you're either screwing up tilts or because you're sandbagging on purpose?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sandbagging means you're holding yourself back. In this case, you're doing so intentionally.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
sorry, i didnt mean to sound so critical im just saying that the marth match had alot of standing and waiting. if your opponent has no projectiles and is just standing and attacking it gives you a very good opportunity to rush in and double fair him straight into hades

goateeguy

Smash Ace
sorry, i didnt mean to sound so critical im just saying that the marth match had alot of standing and waiting. if your opponent has no projectiles and is just standing and attacking it gives you a very good opportunity to rush in and double fair him straight into hades
but when hes marth, he has the same range and stuff so can't he do the exact same thing to you if u rush in carelessly?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
ah, but i saw a few missed down b's on your opponents part, if hes open its always best to take those oppertunities. also with your up b recovery, try to wait as long as possible because you leave yourself open if you do it higher up

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i try to do that, but a lot of the time im afraid hes gonna try and spike me even though he never does. in that situation i want to up-b so i hit him first and his move doesn't hit.

Anyway, what about my Sheik, what needs fixing there?

goateeguy

Smash Ace
wow... at that vids...

may i suggest visiting smashboards.com it may help you a bunch....

oh wait....

actually it seems theres no hope. that first match gave me a headache just to watch it...
you see, the reason i put the vids on here were to get advice. you aren't helping. at all.

anyway, cmon people, what can i do besides practicing shffling (which ive gotten much better at, by the way) to improve my sheik?

Top Bottom