• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

rate.critique.advice. whatevers

Ginseng

Smash Rookie
The Fox is making way too many mistakes. His nair off the ledge at the end of the first video cost him the match (although he was probably going to lose anyway). He shouldn't have went for another shine during the beginning of the second video; it was clear that the marth was going to die. The marth is good, I don't really have any advice except to not use SHFFL'ed dairs. Although I'm not sure if that's good advice. I tend to avoid dairs.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Okay, watching the Final Destination match.

Watch your spacing. It's good that you're trying to be a threat to put a hamper on his laser spam, but empty shorthopping when you're over two tipper lengths away isn't going to scare anyone. Maybe waveland into something when he jumps? Generally speaking, dash dancing is better than empty shorthops, anyway.

If you drop a chaingrab, react! Jab him for the tap reset or shield so you can shieldgrab him, or be prepared to follow him. Don't let him just getup attack you. Also, if you do get hit, don't double jump out of it unless you're going for a ledge sweetspot or you at least have an attack to cover yourself.

Good attempt to hit the Illusion with the jab, but if you wavedash back to avoid the ledgehop attack, hit him with something hard. Fsmash, ftilt, dtilt, whatever. Jab isn't going to send him off and is probably just going to work out against your favor.

Um. What? Shorthop Shield Breaker is not an approach.

Don't use more recovery options than you have to. At 0:46 you were totally okay without the Dancing Blade, so using it really just gives your opponent more time to set up an edgeguard. He didn't have the lightshield edgehog set up, so you should've just gone straight for the ledge with a Dolphin Slash.

Ledgehop? It's not hard to do, and it's usually your best option. Getting up normally, especially over a hundred, will get you screwed.

Jump cancel your grabs, dude.

I would consider using the dtilt against Illusions if you're consistently missing with the jab. Just a thought.

At 1:25 or so, you should've ledgehopped a uair when you saw him going over you to set up for a potential fsmash. Or at least nair or something. I think you messed up that edgeguard with the attempt to hit with the reverse Dolphin Slash. Don't. Just keep it simple. If you had gone straight back for the ledge, you could've ledgehopped a dair for the spike and the stock. Yes, it's cool to be flashy and fancy, but you don't want that to cost you the game.

I don't know why you were trying for the spike at 1:31. You're not going to send him off, and he's going to get to the ground faster than you, meaning he's going to punish you. Try for a uair to fsmash instead.

Your lack of ledgehops is really hurting you. Also, stop getting dash dance baited. Run INTO his dash dance if you're really trying to grab, because anyone who knows anything about dash dances is not going to get grabbed out of one.

You should learn the chaingrab. Looks like you don't really know it.

Why did you do that weird thing at 2:13? Just wavedash back and grab the edge. You wasted time with that... dash forward wavedash back, and you lost the edge. Not only that, but you almost got shinespiked.

Okay... the grabs at 2:22. I don't know why you were jabbing, you weren't going to hit him. Also, your opponent doesn't seem technically stupid enough to miss techs, and even if he did, you could react to his get up in ways much better than jabbing.

A getup attack? Over a hundred? Seriously, learn to ledgehop or I'm going to beat your children.

HannahMontana

Smash Rookie
For the marth:

I like the gimps. It was quite weird at times when the fox put himself in an edgeguarding position though...I think you killed quite nicely. I'm sure you probably don't usually mess up on chain grabs at early percent so I'm not gonna knock ya on that. I think you should work on your movement a bit more, make the wd as perfect as possible. That's about it.

For the fox:

Again, I don't understand why you put yourself in a position to be edgeguarded a lot of the times. Also, you should learn how to gimp/kill. Don't always dash away and back with a grab/dash attack, it's so predictable, all the marth has to do is walk away and then just grab. Try backthrowing the marth off the stage near the ledge and go for gimps by eliminating his options to comeback.

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
thanks everyone for the pointers!

i dont know about the fox, but i had a lot of those "why did i just do that?" and "ahh i should of done that instead" moments.

lol @ tidalwave & elvenarrow

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
Fun Fact: Ganondorf's taunt makes for an excellent voicemail message.

I apologize for the irrelevant posts, Nefarious, but elven's advice covered most of what I was going to say.

VEEN

Smash Journeyman
Practice edgeguarding

Jumpcancell ALL of your grabs

Learn to chaingrab well. Try to do JC grab > fthrow > run towards him and JC grab him > fthrow > etc (you can do this 3 times in a row). After that just up throw him. After 30% use up tilts and up airs for a fsmash set up.

You can also bthrow him sometimes, he thinks your going to fthrow him and he dies towards you. That's just a free fsmash.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
If he DIs correctly and is expecting it. So just fthrow regrab once, then uthrow. The extra damage still helps with the chaingrab, and you minimalize the chances of him breaking out.

Top Bottom