• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

rate + advice?

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
Yep. ever since brawl came out i dont get the chance to play melee anymore. everyone wants to play brawl and by majority rule, i always lose. SO, when i do get the chance to actually play melee, it bums me out because im not like before. back to noob status i guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYe2uRY2zN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiHKiutut6g
i dont know how to approach a falco. those lasers are more annoying that being 404ed in a couple of seconds on /b/.

lifestream

Smash Rookie
Well I didn't really see you dodgeroll at all, I don't know if that's good or bad. You don't counter very much (but then again neither do pros. maybe i'm the only one that stresses effective countering). You're using a lot of c stick and seem to have trouble recovering. Use the dancing blade to gain distance in your recovery, it helps. Your aerial game is fairly good (get it, fair? i'm hilarious).

but then again i'm new here.

White Assassin

Smash Cadet
ok i watched the second video first and i thought that i should say you, that the green button is used to do attacks.
in the end u are getting better but the start was realy poor.
and yes, you are never using the space role, ok vs. cp. falcon it can be bad but vs falco it shouldn´t be a mistake.
i think you shouldn´t be so close to falco, because he always combos u with his aerial down and shield.
so space yourself more so that your sweetspot hits more often.
he fight vs. cp falcon was ok, but in 8 stockes you died 3 times because of stupidity (does this word exists??? i want to say that u die because of stupid mistakes)
use ur 3rd jump in a way, that rescues you. (2nd video 1:48, end of second match, 1st match 2:40,)
next thing ist that could maybe fast fall some of your attacks, maybe even l-cancel them, but you will not notice this very much.
another thing is a situation that came up when u was fighting cp. falcon, he was doing some aerials and coming closer every time.
after the first aerial you hold your shield to shieldgrab. i thought that this looked so poor, i was short to laugh, but maybe it´s because one of my stupid friends always does it, so maybe ignore this.
but i don´t want to destroy your selfconfidence, so i say that u have great control over your finger tips.
ok work on it, you mastered many things, so master the rest too.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Theres a thread about Falcos laser's and how to approach in the marth boards just quickly tryed to look for it but just search Falco in the search bar and im sure it will come up. When I'm playing on Battlefield I like to do alot of U-throws to U-tilt I see you tryed this once or twice in your falco match but I dont think you hit with it. If they tech it you can always wavedash to U-tilt or just Fair them through the platform and follow from there.

Once you get Falco or Captain Falcon off the stage they are quite easy to edge guard. I like to just use D-tilt and F-smash. If they try to go above me I usually just try to fair them back off the stage but there are probably better options there.

Heres the link for getting past Falcos lasers and approaching, made by Emblem Lord so you know its full of good stuff. http://http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102497&highlight=Falco

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
lol @ lifestream. i thought it was funny

Thanks white assassin. i have noticed that i die in stupid ways, but im still used to the recovery on brawl. i usually think that its still brawl and ill grab the ledge. just something i have to get used to again

@kenny.
for some reason i miss on those uptilts. bad timing i guess :O link is broken btw ^_^

Atacusbebop123

Smash Journeyman
Getting Past Falco's Lasers

All's I wanna say is mix up your approach man. Alls i see is Fair->Fair->Fair. Also, c-stick your approach against Cap'n Falcon, because you'll need as musch momentum as you can get while facing him. You should also probably work on DI and techz. Your marth in these vids, is kind of like my marth a coupla months ago, but instead of fair, i spammed nairs, which are also useful in approach, and platforms. When last grabbing tip (HAHA Marth pun lolz) when you want to get a moving grab on your oppenent, and don't like the lag of a dash grab, when you start the dash animation, Press a jump button (X, Y, or UP i prefer Y since its right there) and Z at the same time (called jump cancelling) which gives you momentum, but grabs at the same time.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
'Kay, here we go, as I see it.

You're using the fair way too high, and you're not going to be able to inflict enough shieldstun to get away from being shieldgrabbed. Shffl so that you hit their shield at the last possible moment, it'll help you combo too. Also, don't use the shdf as an approach, and JC your grabs.

At 0:43 don't panic if someone grabs the edge before you, it's no big deal. Airdodge back onto the stage, fair them on the edge or at least recover low. You never want to Dolphin Slash that high.

And don't Counter.

Juggling is cool and all, but you shouldn't be waiting for them to get into the 140s. You should be going for the kill waaay earlier. Speaking of which, edgeguard Captain Falcon with the dair spike. It'll save you a lot of grief.

At 1:33, don't shy away from the edge. Ledge pressure is what Marth does best!

Don't use the Dancing Blade as an airguard. You're wasting one of your recovery options, and on top of that, it's not that good. Fairs and bairs are better if you're going for the stage spike.

At 2:58 I woulda gone for the spike, but it's your preference.

Mostly, just work on your shffl'ing and recovery. Your DI could use some work too.

I didn't really look at your Bowser match because... it's Bowser and no one really cares about him. You should learn to ledgestall better though, and again, don't use Counter and sweetspot better. Also... you should almost always be using the dthrow over the bthrow because... it's just better. Trust me on this one.

You're playing way too defensively against Falco. You're lucky he didn't just sit back and spam SHL at you. If you just sit there and shield or take the laser hits, there's nothing stopping him from just doing that until you're at a million damage. Well other than the fact that damage only goes up to 999. But seriously, too defensive.

You should also be more active in trying to edgeguard Falco instead of utilting him when you're close to the edge because he dies rather quickly.

I don't know if you noticed, but the Falco you were playing against shot rather high lasers. You probably could've gotten under them by dashing/crouching.

Oh yeah, speaking of dashing, don't dash attack. It's too punishable and predictable.

But yeah... that's about all I can think of/see for now. Hope that helps.

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
'Kay, here we go, as I see it.

You're using the fair way too high, and you're not going to be able to inflict enough shieldstun to get away from being shieldgrabbed. Shffl so that you hit their shield at the last possible moment, it'll help you combo too. Also, don't use the shdf as an approach, and JC your grabs.

At 0:43 don't panic if someone grabs the edge before you, it's no big deal. Airdodge back onto the stage, fair them on the edge or at least recover low. You never want to Dolphin Slash that high.

And don't Counter.

Juggling is cool and all, but you shouldn't be waiting for them to get into the 140s. You should be going for the kill waaay earlier. Speaking of which, edgeguard Captain Falcon with the dair spike. It'll save you a lot of grief.

At 1:33, don't shy away from the edge. Ledge pressure is what Marth does best!

Don't use the Dancing Blade as an airguard. You're wasting one of your recovery options, and on top of that, it's not that good. Fairs and bairs are better if you're going for the stage spike.

At 2:58 I woulda gone for the spike, but it's your preference.

Mostly, just work on your shffl'ing and recovery. Your DI could use some work too.

I didn't really look at your Bowser match because... it's Bowser and no one really cares about him. You should learn to ledgestall better though, and again, don't use Counter and sweetspot better. Also... you should almost always be using the dthrow over the bthrow because... it's just better. Trust me on this one.

You're playing way too defensively against Falco. You're lucky he didn't just sit back and spam SHL at you. If you just sit there and shield or take the laser hits, there's nothing stopping him from just doing that until you're at a million damage. Well other than the fact that damage only goes up to 999. But seriously, too defensive.

You should also be more active in trying to edgeguard Falco instead of utilting him when you're close to the edge because he dies rather quickly.

I don't know if you noticed, but the Falco you were playing against shot rather high lasers. You probably could've gotten under them by dashing/crouching.

Oh yeah, speaking of dashing, don't dash attack. It's too punishable and predictable.

But yeah... that's about all I can think of/see for now. Hope that helps.
thanks a lot! ill keep all that in mind ^_^
but yeah, im still used to brawl so i try to shield grab instead of JCing. something else i have to get used to again (:

cmon! almost 100 views and only 6 replies?! keep it coming!

FingDIAHK

Smash Rookie
Honestly in both the captain falcon and bowser match I dont see your marth spitting out enough attacks. I see times where you can have gotten in another hit or got a hit sooner that you didnt take. Get used to how long it takes to do an attack, this way you know if you have time for another.

Ex. These of course are in my opinion
Missed Fair's
0:09, 0:011, 0:12, Maybe 1:36, 3:27 (DI slightly forward and fair, it works for me because I always use slot 3)

Missed Bair
3:28

Overall I think you did great. Once your spacing gets better you do amazingly!

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
...too slow and predictable. That's all I'm going to say. Elvenarrow hit the nail on the head with his post.

Top Bottom