• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate a Roy (Videos)

Scar

#HarveyDent

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Okay, a few tips. First of all, a lot of your mistakes were experience things. If you only picked him up a few days ago, and you keep playing him, you'll probably fix lots of mistakes yourself. If you try to combo into fsmashes, you'll find that you land a few more of them. You got punished a bit for missing them. Also, if you edgeguard with fsmash or neutral b (flare blade?), you'll get more gimp kills against docs that don't wanna sweetspot. In fact, I dunno how many times you used the side-b or the neutral-b, but I have a feeling it was close to none. I'm not gonna tell you all the ways to use the moves, because the Roy FAQ's do that more eloquently than I can. You seem like you'd be rather good with a bit more practice. Keep it up!

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah I'm used to Marth, he's my secondary, so I was taught to avoid the side/neutral b's. I basically just fair-dtilt-fsmash haha but it seems to be working. Thanks, though.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
I would advise against chasing into the air; Roy falls too fast for that to be effective. Roy's game is closer to the ground then Marth is.

You can also tell you're a Marth main by your use of Dair as an attempted spike ;P. I'd stay away from that, as it's a lot harder to use Roy's spike, and his spike can also be meteor-canceled.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol Also dair = suicide most of the time for me off the edge. I started using the DED today against cpus, haven't been able to spike anyone yet but that's fine, it happens.

P.S. I put up a couple more vids.

technomancer

Smash Champion
2:05 COUNTER THAT SHIZZLE, that move has huge windup and owns Doc when you counter it. <3 counter.

That Doc fails at aiming those SHFFL Nairs, you need to be more on top of punishing that with at least a grab. If you're afraid of the double jump, use F-tilt for lag redcuction or DED FUF, but if not you should be able to consistantly forward smash that style of approach.

Your DED could use more speed too, you can do it faster than that.

Work on your combos too. Combos with Roy are ... well hard to do because they are pretty specific, require setups and don't really connect to one another. Still, combo that Falcon man, more grabs and tech-chasing. Your Falcon buddy wasn't very good at punishing those forward smashes, or comboing off of throws, but otherwise pretty good (though he needed to knee alot more), but you're going to have to cut down on the spam against better players.

Other than that your Roy was pretty good and seemed to know what it was doing in most situations, and you were always the one anticipating and spacing the other player which is a good sign.

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm used to Marth, he's my secondary, so I was taught to avoid the side/neutral b's. I basically just fair-dtilt-fsmash haha but it seems to be working. Thanks, though.

the transition from marth to roy is a little difficult.

Stick w/ one or the other.

....and keep practicing.

vericz

Smash Champion
the transition from marth to roy is a little difficult.

Stick w/ one or the other.
No, it's not that hard once you know how they differ.

Don't use fair so much when approaching, it's not that effective. Use more nairs and uairs. Combo more and be sure no to throw out random fsmashes, combo into them.

I helped you with falcon, hope I can help you with roy :)

technomancer

Smash Champion

Don't use fair so much when approaching, it's not that effective. Use more nairs and uairs. Combo more and be sure no to throw out random fsmashes, combo into them.

I'd say Fair is better for actually hitting them than most of your aerials, but ranks pretty low on the other stuff, and if they're patient against Fairs then you're going to get *****.

Couple of things I'd like to see from you are some movement mindgames and maybe some JC grab mindgames. You're an aggressive player, and you're really always trying to get your hit in first and outprioritize stuff, and also you Fsmash a ton (a good thing), so I think once in awhile going for a fast juke into Fsmash can give you some free hits, and it'll make him stop and think too (which you should be on top of and exploiting as well :D). Remember, the juke has to be fast, and relatively unexpected, so don't think wavesmash/wavelandsmash, think more like DED, spotdodge and grab.

Also maybe a little more speed on your SHFFHILs too, you tend to float with them alot.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace

Where your RoFL Sig is at, son. :O

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah I've definitely been using more DED and my grab game has gotten much better altogether, after being PWND by Emblem Lord's Roy a la techchasing.

Ugh.

Scar

#HarveyDent
More vids, actually one more.

There are really 2, but the other one is of my buddy's DK, who he never plays.

So check out the new one, see how you guys have helped me.

Top Bottom