• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate a Cap'n (Falcon) & Samus

mario-man

Smash Lord
Seriously though, stop killing yourself. Other than that, your one of the best Falcons I've seen. If you can stop self destructing, you would own own own.
It also appears that you play better in the clutch.

P.S. That seemed like a completely different Samus in the second round.

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
Umm, double jump the knee after samus is levitated for a combo for the love of god. Everytime samus is midair stuned you fall way too short. You gotta Lcancel then bust your *** to reach him higher. Oh yea, and stop killing yourself.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Umm, double jump the knee after samus is levitated for a combo for the love of god. Everytime samus is midair stuned you fall way too short. You gotta Lcancel then bust your *** to reach him higher. Oh yea, and stop killing yourself.
Yeah I made the mistake of memorizing timing for L-cancelling aerials, so I don't get the timing right when I actually hit.

I have to get that down and I feel like I should stop rolling, too.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
You're pretty slow... You miss most of your L cancels... Your attacks are very obvious and your execution is sloppy.

I don't know what that running back and forth is cause you're just doing it in a very confined area, if your dash dancing... you should be able to control your character... not just dash dancing from across the stage then throwing a random knee out that lands short.

You also full hop and double jump slowly landing attacks and landing on platforms with a lot of lag then full jumping off platforms just to do stray stomps.

Basically, you have a lot of holes... work on it,

Scar

#HarveyDent
You're pretty slow... You miss most of your L cancels... Your attacks are very obvious and your execution is sloppy.

I don't know what that running back and forth is cause you're just doing it in a very confined area, if your dash dancing... you should be able to control your character... not just dash dancing from across the stage then throwing a random knee out that lands short.

You also full hop and double jump slowly landing attacks and landing on platforms with a lot of lag then full jumping off platforms just to do stray stomps.

Basically, you have a lot of holes... work on it,

Haha yes, I've played people who are actually good at this game so I know my game has holes. What I don't know is what those holes are.

Helpful post since I need to work on L-cancels, but apparently there's something wrong with my dash dance (not even technically a dash dance, I see) but what should I be doing instead?

The whole penultimate paragraph was actually rather nonsensical to me too, so... what did you mean by the whole full hop slowly landing platforms stray stomps bit?

Thanks again.

HawkPockets

Smash Rookie
I think he means that my Samus is badass? Either that or he wants to give you a cheese omlette? I can never tell with bad grammar...

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
For dash dancing, you should vary the length of it and actually use it near the opponent instead of doing it from across the screen and throwing out a random nair/knee that ends up short.

In a lot of the matches, especially yoshi story, you full hop and land and double jump and try to stomp, too slow and predictable, you don't have control on the platform.

Stop randomly smashing especially if hes at low percent.

Also, you keep attacking after every attack without changing the pace.

And you miss a lot of L cancels.

In any case, you can ignore everything I said if you don't believe it. It's not like I'm trying to be offensive. Good luck.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
You should definitely use more uair, especially when coming from below, out of dthrow, when you try dair -> knee but the knee won't be high enough. You should also really work on your edgeguarding of Samus. When Samus is bombjumping, there isn't a whole lot you can do, but the most effective thing would be trying to uair after he jumps off the bomb, just be careful not to get your jump stolen with the leftover bomb, spacing, experience, and prediction are the keys to doing that.

If you don't want to go out after him and instead pursue a safer alternative if you know he's going to have to come low and upB or grapple, hang on the edge and edgehop in place (to keep your invulnerability) and when he starts to grapple or upB, drop down, jump back and bair towards him, it's very effective.

I'd suggest to not use so many dsmashes, Samus will very rarely be in a situation to be hit by it, fsmashing when you know what he's going to do when coming on the edge (either from edgehopping, rolling, etc.) is safer and will hit more often.

Go for more grabs, you can either try shieldgrabbing more or using effective dashdancing to get him into it. Once you do, dthrow and try to follow with a knee or uair, uair is safer, but know that Samus will get out of lag before you get to her, so there are plenty of mindgames with that (make her jump and then punish, if she sex kicks you can regrab after she is in landing lag) but just try to play it more safely.

When Samus is on a platform above you, make sure to use uairs and not dairs as you were.

Avoid dash attacking so much, the nair is a much better approach.

Also, if it'll help, here are some matches of my Samus vs my friend's CF. Note that even though they're tournament, they're not entirely serious because we hate playing eachother now (we've played eachother multiple times each week for years). Also, he hadn't really started using the bair for edgeguarding much, so unfortunately you can't see that here. The main things you should pay attention to is how he uses the dash dance, what he does on platforms (both when he's on them and when I'm on them), and what he does from throws.

Yeah, sorry for so many, but there's a lot of variety, hopefully they'll be fun to watch, and both of you can learn some new things.

Pokemon Stadium - Falcon wins
Final Destination - Falcon wins
Final Destination - Samus wins
Yoshi's Story - Samus wins
Corneria - Falcon wins (******** match to watch though)
Dreamland 64 - Samus wins
Final Destination - Falcon wins
Dreamland 64 - Samus wins

So yeah, hope this post was useful.

vindictus_prime

Smash Rookie
Alot has already been covered. In terms of your L Cancel, work more on you dair L Cancel specifically. And please please come up with an alternative to that dash attack, its lag is painfully PAINFULLY long! Anyways, thats all for me. Good Luck!

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah the nair is definitely a better idea. My fingers aren't as fast as I want them to be yet though.

Frozentear (I hope you don't mind that I didn't use the 3) and Aftermath, thanks a lot -- the vids helped too, I need to watch them more closely later.

HawkPockets

Smash Rookie
::GASP!::

AFTERMATHILOVEYOURSAMUSTUTORIALZOMG!!!!!11111one

Train me in your Samus ways, oh master of the Chozo! Why is everyone giving HIM advice?! Hawky needs some love, too!

Top Bottom