• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rare Amiibo's, will you open yours?

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
So apparently right now the rarest Amiibo's to find are Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and especially Marth. I've opened all of my Amiibo's that I bought except for Marth. Just because I'm part collector and I know he's a bit more valuable than the others. Are there any Amiibo's you guys refuse to open or plan to buy two of in the future?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If I find any awesome defects like double cannon Samus, then I will leave them unopened.

That is highly unlikely, though. Otherwise, any Amiibos I buy, I intend to use.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm not gonna preserve them if that's what you're asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
They will be available no matter what. For now, they are only rare until they get restocked. If you want a certain amiibo badly you can dish out 30+ dollars for one on Amazon like the Marth one.

... also just like the GC Adapter QQ

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
I've bought mine to use, so I've opened mine. Not only that but I...*sniff*...I threw away the packaging. I know, the collector in me hates myself, but with as many as I'm getting, I would have to dedicate an awful lot of space for cardboard and plastic that really wouldn't be reusable our displayable in any practical fashion.

Rojo Espada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rojo_Espada
3DS FC
4313-0371-7210
For the ones that will be limited I intend to buy two. One to use and one to keep in its packaging.
Just in case it gets much more valuable later on.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I have Villager and Marth. Those were the two from the first set I really wanted.

I opened both of them. :4dedede:

Doctor Saius

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dr. Saius
Only way the amibo's will be worth something is if you have the complete set in box. I'm sure Nintendo will produce a couple more waves over the next year so it won't be rare for long.

I'm not a hardcore collector so I can't say for sure that one will be worth more but i couldn't imagine them being valued more than there sale price unless they decide to never make any more.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Only way the amibo's will be worth something is if you have the complete set in box. I'm sure Nintendo will produce a couple more waves over the next year so it won't be rare for long.

I'm not a hardcore collector so I can't say for sure that one will be worth more but i couldn't imagine them being valued more than there sale price unless they decide to never make any more.
Really? Because it already feels like Marth is under this.
http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-will-offer-some-amiibo-figurines-as-limited-time-offers/

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I bought them all, opened them all, use them all.

I don't know... i'm just not a keep it in the package type of guy.

I kinda feel like even though they are more rare... they are still mass produced... and unlikely to be extremely valuable.

They'll probably do re-releases in the future too to drive down the value.

Khao

Smash Lord
Sweet, now I get to feel like a hipster for having the Marth figure.

Too bad I'll soon ruin his value by giving him a custom paint job.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
My local Wal-Mart has villager amiibos on stock. Thought about buying them since they are supposedly rare. But then realized I don't even want villager lol. So they're still just sitting there. I'm not a collector type of person so fortunately I won't be regretting it lol. But once they're back in stock they won't be considered rare any more. So I would wait until they restock again if you want marth or villager.

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
I get the idea that it's like a collectible toy but truthfully these things are mass produced in the millions there will never be Huge value in them

fizggig

Smash Rookie
Actually best buy.com has them all restocked so..... I will not be spending 30 + dollars on villager, marth or wii fit trainer. I did buy villager tho because him and link are the only ones I actually wanted. Wave 2 I have shulk pre ordered and toon link, but I might get sonic and mega man as well.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Got Marth, Pikachu, and Link day one, opened them and have them happily sitting on my shelf. Hopefully Fox, Peach, and Kirby will soon follow. [hopefully I get to a point where I can get all the characters but that's just a dream right now.]

I hate keeping things in the packaging. I like to play with them. Odds are i'm not going to be selling these any time soon, and they aren't going to be too valuable or anything. I just think you can look at them better outside of the cases and actually hold them. Sure the cases look nice but all that plastic takes up too much space. That and I can name them, so they will always be mine. No regrets.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Right now I have Mario and DK opened and sitting by my Wii U. I have Link in package, and I'm still debating whether or not to open him up or leave him. He's probably my least favorite amiibo, and I only picked him up because he seems to be the rarest after Marth, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer.

I went to GameStop last week and pre-ordered 9 amiibos... 3 Little Macs, 3 Captain Falcons, and 3 Shulks. I plan to keep one of each for myself and sell the other 6, as these are the ones I can see being the Marth and Villager of the next waves. I'm hoping to to sell them for a bit more than their original price, and if my predictions about their rarity are wrong I'll just gift or return them.

Ephemiel

Smash Cadet
Unless it's a double cannon Samus or the legless Peach or a Marth/Link/Ike/Shulk somehow dual wielding, then I'll open it without hesitation.

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
Opened my Marth one with no regrets. Glad I did, he's an awesome training partner.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I wasn't aware of Villager's rarity when I got it. Although I don't really regret opening mines.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm not super forward thinking when it comes to collecting/reselling items so it's very unlikely I'll do anything to preserve their mint condition. When the Amiibos finally release here I'll just buy mine and open it as soon as I get home so I can use it.

fuuma

Smash Rookie
I will not be opening any of mine, if I decide to open one I will be buying another one for usage. Complete set is staying sealed. ^^ So doubles for anything I will be using.

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
I would open my Amiibo if it was a rare one. Don't care if it's worth 1K, makes me feel more special using it.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
You know what really tanks a "collectibles" value, people going out of their way to preserve them. The artificial collectible market is never going to be anything like the accidental one. The odd object that used to be commonplace, and hence hold nostalgia for the current "in" generation (the middle aged ones with money and means), but was actually almost always used, hence mint condition items are rare, is where the value is going to be. Think baseball cards in America (where the market really was booming a decade or two back, but has since gone into decline), the point the market will peak tends to be when the generation that grew up with them has money, time and the desire to get some of their childhood back.

Amiibos are likely going to be very mass produced, and this first generation is going to be restocked many times over. The time to sell for the most value is either going to be now when there is limited stock (for ones like Marth) or in decades if you happen to keep one mint in box and hope to cash in on that sweet sweet nostalgia, if there is any, it might end up a commercial flop (though that could help the potential future value).

Long story short, unless you're going for the quick resell (while stocks or low) or are planning to take a gamble on the long game (and sell when nostalgia and low supply kick in, which may never happen if everyone does the same), just open them and enjoy them.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why wouldn't I? Even if it it's rare or defected I might as well still use it.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
It seems now that some of the Amiibo's have been released in Japan, people are instead of searching or buying Marth or someone off Ebay they're now just importing them from Japan.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm getting two Shulks, one for use and one for selling later because I'm pretty sure he'll be hard to find down the line

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm not selling mine. I like them. When I picked up my Fox amiibo I was still in awe at the fact I actually had a Fox McCloud figurine. I don't think I ever imagined I'd be able to have one.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
I kinda want to sell mine rare ones: captain falcon, pit, wii fit, ness, villager... But most of them are in Japanese packages, so I'm also considering unboxing them since I do have the urge to "catch them all".

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
There's not a whole lot you can do with them so i only opened my dedede cause he's my main, i got the amiibo experience with him so unless one day i really want to, i wont open my ness or my silver mario.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I open every single one of them, but keep the boxes (now). Now to sell them later, but just as a memory. I opened Wii Fit Trainer the moment I got home once I got her from Best Buy

Top Bottom