• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Raptor Grab

Zabuu

Smash Rookie
Ok, so, when you sweetspot the ledge with the raptor boost, you instantly grab the ledge it seems. I tested it with an Unira (spiked ball which damages you when you touch it) on top of the ledge and as far as I could tell, with the raptor boost you grab the ledge instantly, cuz i'm not getting hit. This in comparison to both a regular ledge grab (1 frame of vulnerability?) and a sourspotted raptor boost, where you aim a bit too high and you kind of grind against the ledge before grabbing it. It seems when you're real close to the ledge, at the same altitude for hitting the sweetspot, and you SideB, you don't see any part of the raptor boost animation but you still instantly grab the ledge, equally smooth as when you'd sweetspot it from a distance. It's nice, because the altitude range of the side B sweetspot is from about as high as the stage to a bit below, meaning you can quickly grab the ledge when you're near, instead of 'waiting' 1 or more frames. At any rate: using sideB near the ledge makes it real easy to snap to the ledge, you home in on it even from a short distance and even with your back turned, so I guess that's useful in some cases and the ease makes it a freebie.

To me it seems the smooth ledgegrabbing characteristic of the raptor boost is initiated once you sideB, even though the animation doesn't come out at all. This seems to mean you're completely invulnerable when grabbing the ledge like this, instead of being vulnerable for 1 frame before snapping to the ledge, like in a regular ledge grab. This only seems to work once though, after which you have to reset it by touching the ground if you want to do it again. Nevertheless, it's a free frame of invincibilty, which never hurts :)
I'm not 100% sure about this, will test it tomorrow eve with some help of friends to see if this means you truly have 0 frames of vulnerability when snapping to the ledge. When someone else feels inclined to test it in advance, be my guest.

Also: I feel grabbing the ledge like this going for a trump (to follow up with a Bair for example) is a lot easier than doing it regular style. Normally i'd do it like this: :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:, real quick, if trumping at the right edge of the stage, but I still fail at it often with CF. When I do it like this however: :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:+:GCB:, I succeed every time.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Zabuu

Smash Rookie
Which two animations do you mean? The main difference I'm talking about is a regular ledge grab (while offstage already, close to ledge, holding :GCL:) vs a ledge grab in which you press B (offstage, close to ledge, holding :GCL:+:GCB:).

Maybe i'm doing regular ledge grabs the wrong way, but for me it always takes a couple of frames at least before the Cap'n snaps to the ledge, during which time he's hanging mid air (while I keep :GCL: pressed).. when I :GCL:+:GCB: it's always instant.

If by the two animations you mean regular trumping and trumping with :GCB:, then yes, there doesn't seem to be a difference (well, maybe the 1 frame difference).

Last edited:

Zabuu

Smash Rookie
Anyone got some tips on how to test this properly? I'm testing it with robin's arcfire atm, but i'm not sure you necessarily test that one frame of vulnerability with it, since it probably ticks for dmg every *couple of* frames?

[mastershake]~~

Smash Cadet
Man I just discovered this today too when I was practicing and it helps immensely with Falcon's ledge trumping because his dash is so damn fast. One note though, you don't actually need to roll the controller to perform it. All you have to to do is dash off stage and then perform the raptor boost backwards with a little delay. Not sure if there is a benefit to rolling the controller, but its less inputs for, I believe, the same result if you just raptor boost back.

Kyussbm

Smash Rookie
Agreed that the half circle just complicates things. You're right though, this is a fantastic method for quick ledge grabs as CF- his ledge game is SO strong in SSB4, and this option just adds to it.

[mastershake]~~

Smash Cadet
I did notice that it is a LITTLE quicker to roll the controller and side b. Not sure about frames but I still agree its not necessary. If you're rolling it and pressing side b you might as well just practice rolling it normally because there's a chance that you'll accidently do a falcon kick off stage resulting in immediate death. Nice to have options though!

Top Bottom