• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rapper Lupe Fiasco and ZeRo to possibly face off at EVO 2016

If somebody told you that famous rapper Lupe Fiasco would play Smash 4 champion ZeRo, would you have believed them? Well, it may be happening on Smash's biggest stage yet -- EVO 2016. The challenge came from ZeRo today on Twitter, and Lupe was quick to reply:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Additionally, Lupe will be going back to his Street Fighter roots by picking Ryu -- even requesting the guidance of Trela, who is widely regarded as the best Ryu main in the world.

Though EVO has not released an official statement on this exhibition yet, this new rivalry is sure to be very exciting in the weeks to come. Be sure to follow Lupe and ZeRo on Twitter and stay tuned to Smashboards for more EVO and Smash 4 news.

Comments

This discussion is so salty lmao
If this will end being staged, people that at least know the basic of the game will notice right away but I don't see the problem in this. Unless Lupe is some kind of prodigy there's no way he can even take a stock from him if the match is serious lol
And this is some kind of exibition match, personally I don't see any problem with that. If they want to fight, let them do it, guys, c'mon.

The same Lupe that ducked fights on Twitter from MKX players after saying it was a game "for people who can't play SF" and when confronted about it, told the FGC they should "eat a **** and die". But of course he deleted those posts and then everyone rode on his nuts for a few weeks over an obvious match fix.

Screw Lupe, as far as I'm concerned. Is the Smash community really so desperate for attention that we need to bring in random celebrities who don't give a damn about the game or the community in order to "bring hype"? Whatever the hell that means, because we know the matches aren't gonna be good anyway. It was pathetic when the SF5 community did it, and it'll still be pathetic if it happens with Smash.
That's how entertainment works. WWE/F did the same thing with cameos from celebs like Schwarzenegger and Tyson, and we have even had an EVO where an American Idol finalist competed in Smash. that's not even bringing up we have already had such attention for years due to Ken being a contestant on Survivor. Smash has not been in the shadows for years, so acting like the popular culture would not get involved(you know...like what they do with any other form of entertainment ever) is clearly flawed. YOU may not enjoy it, but for everyone else, this works as a fun aside.

Last edited:
Lupe vs zero huh....

WELL SOMEONE HAS A DEATH WISH...

Edit: Zero will probably go easy on him and give him a few free stocks... that or he's gonna make him cry

Last edited:
That's how entertainment works. WWE/F did the same thing with cameos from celebs like Schwarzenegger and Tyson, and we have even had an EVO where an American Idol finalist competed in Smash. that's not even bringing up we have already had such attention for years due to Ken being a contestant on Survivor. Smash has not been in the shadows for years, so acting like the popular culture would not get involved(you know...like what they do with any other form of entertainment ever) is clearly flawed. YOU may not enjoy it, but for everyone else, this works as a fun aside.
What does any of that have to do with him acting like an asshole to a community? Trashing other people's games, insulting players for asking for challenges, threatening violence to other players when called out on ducking challenges, etc. Why would I want a person like that getting the spotlight in the Smash community? Because he's a famous rapper?

I don't dislike him because he's a celebrity, I dislike him because he's a fraud, not just at the games he plays, but in his interest in the FGC / Smash as a whole. Setting up a (certainly rigged) match between one of our top players and a random celebrity that's shown flagrant disrespect to our community for the sake of bringing "hype" is just flat-out exploitation, and I don't like it.

Last edited:
This isn't even hype at all imo. Either zero bodies lupe or they stage it and lupe wins. Neither of those are hype in any way because everyone would know it was staged if zero lost

Lupe is a fraud, that match with Daigo was obviously fixed. Daigo let him win, the massive skill gap between both players was painfully clear. Maybe Zero can put this guy in his place.

Zero going to be up 2-0 on lupus last stock 100% then he'll throw the whole the rest of the set. Actually super hype

That moment when you realise this is all a ploy to get Ryu nerfed...

Think about it a moment... ZeRo has already put his opinion out that he thinks Ryu is the best character. He is secretly scared of Ryu. He doesn't want to learn the matchup, and would rather see such a strong character be nerfed, mainly due to salt of his own top tiers getting nerfed. He will lose on purpose to Lupe, and then cause huge outcry, which Nintendo will see. 1.1.7 will be released shortly after, and Ryu will drop harder than Bayonetta in the tier list.

IT'S ALL CONSPIRACY! BELIEVE NOBODY!
especially me, i'm joking...

But real talk now, if on the minor off chance that ZeRo DID lose, and Ryu was nerfed in the next patch, it would show how little the balance team actually know about the game, and it would make me lose all hope in them. It's pathetic that this prospect is actually a reality, and could happen (Remember the Falcon nerfs? What about Meta Knight?).

I honestly don't know who this Lupe guy is (please don't kill me!), but I'm half expecting a game akin to HBox vs Reggie at E3... or at least one where ZeRo wipes the floor with him.

Last edited:
I just read through the comments and I guess there aren't any Lupe Fiasco fans XD I have no idea what happened with the Daigo match but...
Who cares who 'wins'? Obviously no one is questioning that zero is a better player. I mean, come on. That's not a question. It's zero. The professional. He also does not strike me as the sort of person who would ever throw a match. That would completely ruin his earnest image.
So what's wrong with a little publicity? Could be an exciting match and get some salt imported into the community or just be fun and chill. I don't really see the hate.

I'm going to Vegas to attend EVO, so if I see this happening on Sunday night, I'm going to be really hyped...

I don't want to see ZeRo fake it though. Like @Champ Black said, I hope it's going to be like Reggie vs Hbox.

EDIT: Fixed BBCode
I hope Zero doesn't fake it either. I'd rather have Zero win though. It'd be hype imo

If people legitimately believe that something like this could be staged without people knowing definitvely just from watching the fight, then it's a testimate to how poor the game is competitively.

(I don't need to say that it would be impossible to rig such a match in Melee without immediately being exposed.)
I can't quote this enough. Imagine Lupe playing against Armada in melee. There is no way that the match can even progress to the 10 second mark without everyone with some knowledge of competitive melee knowing that said match was staged. Melee's game play is amazingly deep and it makes me sad that people still get hyped over the shallowness that is smash 4.

It's going to be funny seeing Lupe beat Zero in a staged match and people believing the script because the lack of technical prowess it takes to play this game. I guess people like playing this game because it is easier to play so I suppose I can't fault them.

I can't quote this enough. Imagine Lupe playing against Armada in melee. There is no way that the match can even progress to the 10 second mark without everyone with some knowledge of competitive melee knowing that said match was staged. Melee's game play is amazingly deep and it makes me sad that people still get hyped over the shallowness that is smash 4.

It's going to be funny seeing Lupe beat Zero in a staged match and people believing the script because the lack of technical prowess it takes to play this game. I guess people like playing this game because it is easier to play so I suppose I can't fault them.
so much bait lmao

Melee's game play is amazingly deep and it makes me sad that people still get hyped over the shallowness that is smash 4.
Shallow? Deep? That's... Well ok.
It's a completely different game. I personally enjoy both and respect top players in each. I don't think it's fair to say that smash 4 is easy and that's why people play it. I like the variety it offers.
SO EVERYONE GET HYPE!!!!!11

Last edited:
Shallow? Deep? That's... Well ok.
It's a completely different game. I personally enjoy both and respect top players in each. I don't think it's fair to say that smash 4 is easy and that's why people play it. I like the variety it offers.
SO EVERYONE GET HYPE!!!!!11
Not to mention that Smash 4 is far deeper cerebrally because it is shallower than Melee technically.

so much bait lmao
Sorry, I do apoloIze. I just have talked to smash 4 players and they tell me that they play smash 4 because Melee is too difficult. I just wished that they put a little time into Melee and give it a try. Melee obvi possesses the better storyline and a better competive scene with the more superior game!

So, if Lupe can beat the world's best Street Fighter player.
I think he can beat the world's best Smash 4 player.
That was definitely staged; nonetheless it was still a great way to promote the game and just very hype in general. Lupe did play really wall though. I just hope this match isn`t another HBox vs Reggie.

Lupe needs to win on the last game, last stock.

Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U needs to become Super Smash Bros. for the WWE for this EVO Salty Suite match.
wat if leffen vs. chillen was staged. cuz the lupe vs. daigo was staged and lupe is a famous rapper. so does that mean leffen 5-0'd chillen on purpose cuz we all know chillen is a famous rapper... kappa

Top Bottom