• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranking System for Brawl Online

Sensai

Smash Master
Adi, don't count on it.

I'd expect them to be very very centered around the idea of friend codes, and just keeping younger gamers safe.

Sure, it sounds nice in theory, but when it comes down to it...it's terrible!

Adi

Smash Lord
Hah that's the unfortunate truth behind it =P, at least we'll have this board so that we can share friend codes in eachother to keep some sembelance of a smash community alive ;D

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
Well actually, rumor has it that Square-Enix cancled their attempt to bring FF11 on the the Wii because of the freind code thing. It's an MMO after all and well... you'll be interacting with hundreds of players all the time. Friend codes would make that impossible. I hear they are deliberating with Nintendo about friend codes and about a way to make thing more convinient. They don't just affect the gamers, developers also aren't big fans of it either.

I think if Nintendo sees how friend codes are affecting the outcome of potential system sellers, they may ease up on it. I suppose there is a chance we'll see SSBB freind code free.

All of this based on rumor though. Don't go quoting me on this stuff.

Sensai

Smash Master
Big Freddy, that thing about FFXI is true. At first SE said that the hardware simply couldn't handle it, but then later pointed at friend codes as being the plans downfall.

I'm not really sure if we'll ever see a FCless game, but if there's a developer to open Nintendo's eyes, it's probably going to be a big hitter like SE.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I mentioned this in this thread yet...but I've added on a little bit to this, so it's okay.
Parental controls should be used by Nintendo to get rid of most of these problems. Don't want little Jimmy playing online at all? Disable it in the parental controls section. Only want him playing with people on his Wii address book or maybe setup a list of people that he's allowed to play with in Smash? Use the parental controls. Don't want him talking to people? Use parental controls.
If you put parental controls in a console, why would you continue to limit those who don't use them?

Mamush

Smash Cadet
Experience points? If you win then you gain experience and if you lose well then none is taken away. So say if you played someone else with more experience points then you and won. Well then you gain more experience than you would against someone with lower points than you. MPH ranking stystem is pretty good indeed. In my oppinion you should have several types of matching making such as 1v1, 2v2, and FFA. So say if you had someone from your friend list join your lobby then you both could go into team match making and play.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
I was dissappointed when I saw that Sakurai said no ranking system, but he did say it. I don't know why there's so much hope for a ranking system, it's not going to happen.

Edg

Smash Cadet
Not having a ranking system is pretty stupid. Who cares if people "cheat". Scrubs will be scrubs and when you cant back your numbers up in play the ranking wont mean anything anyway. The pros of ranking systems in the sense of playing the game more and improving your playstyle far outweighs the cons. Not adding ranking is pure indication of laziness/incompitence in the designing team.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
no matter if we have a ranking system or not its gonna most likely be online somehow,

so we can run tournaments thru this board, like we can have friendly tournamens by having some1 do the brackets and stuff and we jus communicate and send wii codes on the boards,
of course every1 will have to be on the boards at that time

and theres always a possible SWF ladder!!(HINT!)!!

Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think an online ranking system is a great idea, it just purely depends on how it's set up. If there was literal rankings with not just wins and losses, also factors like time (how fast or long it took you to win or lose) and character (who is your highest % of winning and such), it would be great. But I doubt it will get indepth like that

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Well we better have matchmaking! But don't think we'll be playing too many newb. Odds are we can set the way the match is setup, an dmost newbs will want to play with items of a G&W stage. If they really let us set up (8:00 min time limit, 4 stock) then we really won't have many problems. They better let us pick our stages, I could see Nintendo messing this up bad. But the point is as long as we can setup OUR match then there's not that much to worry about. Here's the only thing I'm worried about...

A newb likes a character like Bowser, so he goes online to play with items. He always looses because Fox always gets to the items anf reflects pokeballs (anyone can do that, plus there will be GOOD player to play with items online). But he still likes bowser so he says "screw items, I'm going with no items. Then we have a problem. It will be easy enough to own someone who sucks, but with a LOW TIER character! Think about all that.

Top Bottom